Bonfire night

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bonfire night

Maybe those loud bangers should have been banned a long time ago.I think it has gone worse since millennium.I honestly dread this time of year

Comment

Also you had to guard your bommy as there was always stories that some gang were going to set fire to your bommy before bommy night

The kids were in charge until Nov 5th .......... then the grown ups all came out and took over - mind they did bring parkin and treacle toffee and black pea soup .............. everything was shared around

Plus it was a big neighbourhood event but not organised by the Council ........ all spontaneous[/quote]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by amethyst View Post
        Maybe those loud bangers should have been banned a long time ago.I think it has gone worse since millennium.I honestly dread this time of year
        I think we've done Bonfire Night in our salad days on another thread too.

Nonetheless, and at risk of repeating myself, here's my take on it.

When I was a kid Bonfire night was an occasion. A day to look forward to. The Conkers were all gone and Halloween was just something the americans did, not us.

Sure there were bangs across the countryside were olders kids/yobs had let off bangers, which in those days were quite cheap and accessible. Some kids used to make the own guy ; with clothes purloined from washing lines and the darkest depths of all big sisters drawers. We'd then lug this monstrosity around on a cart or something with wheels, and, yes, you're way ahead of me. 'penny for the guy'.

I know an idealistic cliche, but that's what we did. We'd then used the money to buy fireworks.

The night itself was usually a disappointment as we watched our fathers would probably grubbing around cursing and swearing down the garden as he lit the inevitable roman candle, that never did what it was supposed to. Aye, sausages and baked potatoes too.

The DAY AFTER was even better than the day itself.I spent hours looking for unspent rockets or others fireworks that had still got some powder left in 'em. You accumulate this powder to make a 'genie'. Basically building a pile and lighting it. Aye, dangerous indeed. We were warned about the dangers of mutilation, but we didn't care.

Nowadays it's just a meaningless tradition. All there is now is organised displays which quite frankly are boring. Standing there with a load of other people, freezing your cods off, and the silly mares that go 'wheeee' and whoosh and oh-will-you-look-at-that,

No all the excitement had gone now, like most things of yore, but at least these days we actually knew who was in on the Gunpowder Plot and the horrible end that they met. Part of me wishes that they had succeeded.....

Comment

...And black eyed peas, whats that all about?
          Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

It was a nightmare for myself when I was younger - I thought that the end of the world was about to happen with all those bangs and flashing lights.

It's not just pets that need to be kept indoors - it's some of their human counterparts that need to stay inside as well.
            I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
            There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
            I'm having so much fun
            My lucky number's one
            Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

I remember 21 years ago our poor cat was petrified under the car for 5 hours.We let her out when it was light and of course someone let off a load of fireworks not even a tin of tuna or her favourite biscuits could tempt her out.

Comment

Originally posted by tex View Post
                ...And black eyed peas, whats that all about?
                Omg
                Black peas in vinegar with a dab of salt !!

Comment

Originally posted by Zincubus View Post
                  Omg
                  Black peas in vinegar with a dab of salt !!

but what a weird tradition

Comment

Ties in with black treacle and burnt stuff I guess

Comment

Originally posted by Zincubus View Post
                      Ties in with black treacle and burnt stuff I guess

Errr, yeah...that'll be it.

Comment

Apparently its only a tradition in lancashire.... cut and paste from tinternet.................
                        We're a few weeks off from November the 5th and therefore Bonfire Night yet, but I was so excited to find dried black peas - aka maple peas - at the stall of the man who sells herbs, spices and dried foods in my local town. I had been on the hunt for them in order to have a go at making traditional Lancashire Bonfire Black Peas - a dish which is particular to the North West of England, and is eaten on Guy Fawkes Night, the 5th November.

My memories of eating black peas involve me trying to stay warm on Bonfire Night, slathering them in vinegar then scooping them out of a small tub with my mittens on, while watching fireworks clash and burst in the sky. They conjure up wonderful childhood times

Comment

You can say that again.
                          I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
                          There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
                          I'm having so much fun
                          My lucky number's one
                          Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Apparently its only a tradition in lancashire.... cut and paste from tinternet.................
                            We're a few weeks off from November the 5th and therefore Bonfire Night yet, but I was so excited to find dried black peas - aka maple peas - at the stall of the man who sells herbs, spices and dried foods in my local town. I had been on the hunt for them in order to have a go at making traditional Lancashire Bonfire Black Peas - a dish which is particular to the North West of England, and is eaten on Guy Fawkes Night, the 5th November.

My memories of eating black peas involve me trying to stay warm on Bonfire Night, slathering them in vinegar then scooping them out of a small tub with my mittens on, while watching fireworks clash and burst in the sky. They conjure up wonderful childhood times
                            My wife made a batch just recently so I took a little tub full to work to let my mate try some for the first time ... he nearly threw up after one mouthful !!

Comment

Sainsburys have announced today they will not be selling fireworks in all their shops good move,the rest of the supermarkets need to follow suit

Comment

Wow u remember it really well dont you.

Its a combo of the noise different pitches the flashing colours and the smell.

i remember 21 years ago our poor cat was petrified under the car for 5 hours.we let her out when it was light and of course someone let off a load of fireworks not even a tin of tuna or her favourite biscuits could tempt her out.
                                FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Working...
                                X