Bonfire night

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bonfire night

So whilst enjoying a "quiet" night in on sunday evening....IT STARTS! bang, boom, bang (no it wasn't Lulu) it was bloody fireworks for pitys sake. Not enjoyed bonfire night since i was two and neither do my birds.....so i pull the bedsheets over there heads just kiddin
    Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Re: Bonfire night

I have a feeling that there is a Guy Fawkes Night thread that already exists on the forum, but never mind.

Things have been quiet so far - I bet that in the next week or so we will hear the bangs and noises outside. Don't forget to follow the Firework Code - always use a torch to read the firework instructions and never use a naked flame, etc.
    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

When I was growing up as a kid,we looked forward to nov5th.But now anyone can let off fireworks between now and xmas new year.The postman put a lidl leaflet through the door last week advertising fireworks. One costing 49.99 for 180 shots lasting for 10 mins

Comment

Originally posted by amethyst View Post
        When I was growing up as a kid,we looked forward to nov5th.But now anyone can let off fireworks between now and xmas new year.The postman put a lidl leaflet through the door last week advertising fireworks. One costing 49.99 for 180 shots lasting for 10 mins
        Yeah bonfire night in the sixties was massive .. . Where we are in Gtr Manchester.. each area / estate had their own community bonfire ..

Kids would go around all the surrounding neighbours asking for wood / logs / cupboards .. one year we had 5 mattresses and they were dragged under some trees and piled on top of each other then we used climb as high as possible and jump down onto the mattress pile

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Don't forget that in most years, Guy Fawkes Night coincides (a few weeks either way, at least) with Diwali, the Hindu festival, as they use fireworks to celebrate as well - I suppose that is why fireworks are used so much in late October and early November.

And of course, the bonfire on the Forest Recreation Ground (no doubt paid for by Nottingham City Council tax payers - talking about rate payer's cash literally going up in smoke!), with a guy burning on top, and a Goose Fair parody along with it as well.
          I'm having so much fun
          My lucky number's one
          Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

I always remember children asking for penny for the guy

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
              Don't forget that in most years, Guy Fawkes Night coincides (a few weeks either way, at least) with Diwali, the Hindu festival, as they use fireworks to celebrate as well - I suppose that is why fireworks are used so much in late October and early November.

And of course, the bonfire on the Forest Recreation Ground (no doubt paid for by Nottingham City Council tax payers - talking about rate payer's cash literally going up in smoke!), with a guy burning on top, and a Goose Fair parody along with it as well.
              Really?...I suspect it's because money grabbing supermarkets start selling them far too early, idiotic kids will buy if they see them for sale at any time of the year

Comment

What about those flamin mortar bombs that go off these days !?

I found one last year on our local park — it hadn’t exploded for some reason and I didn’t fancy just leaving it for young kids to mess with or set off ..

It’s still in our shed !!

Comment

Luvvit, luvvit, luvvit!

Always have, always will but I don't get to go to displays or buy them myself these days.
                  Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

I love Bonfire Night. I go to a display. I'd never buy fireworks as i think they are a waste of money, so going to a display is best, there's usually the local radio thete too broadcasting live from the venue.

Comment

Originally posted by Nuggy14 View Post
                      I love Bonfire Night. I go to a display. I'd never buy fireworks as i think they are a waste of money, so going to a display is best, there's usually the local radio thete too broadcasting live from the venue.
                      I’ve had three close calls with fireworks so they scare me to death now ..

When I was about 10 I set off a Helicopter which were crazy things as they set off and flew parallel to the ground — it flew about 30 yards and straight at my MUM !!
                      She blocked it with a tin of fireworks !

Twenty years later in our back garden a neighbours rocket came straight at my face and missed by about 6 inches - hitting our kitchen window !

A couple of years ago I ‘foolishly’ bought a pack of ten rockets for a quid ( one pound) !!

Set the first one off and it flew off INSTANTLY without warning.. the second was the same .. instant ignition!!

I chucked the others in a bucket of water !!

Comment

Originally posted by tex View Post
                        Really?...I suspect it's because money grabbing supermarkets start selling them far too early, idiotic kids will buy if they see them for sale at any time of the year
                        Yes, the supermarkets do cater for the private parties, but the local councils try to discourage this by doing one of their own - out of the public purse.
                        I'm having so much fun
                        My lucky number's one
                        Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by amethyst View Post
                          I always remember children asking for penny for the guy
                          The problem is that some seem to think of it as begging - after all, where does the money go? Towards buying fireworks and the like?
                          I'm having so much fun
                          My lucky number's one
                          Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
                            Yes, the supermarkets do cater for the private parties, but the local councils try to discourage this by doing one of their own - out of the public purse.
                            Wasn't refering to private parties George, it's the idiots who have nothing better to spend their money on who will happily blow £15 on what is basically a legal bomb and set it off at 1 o'clock in the morning

Comment

Originally posted by tex View Post
                              Wasn't refering to private parties George, it's the idiots who have nothing better to spend their money on who will happily blow £15 on what is basically a legal bomb and set it off at 1 o'clock in the morning
                              Now you're talking, Tex - they are idiots who almost literally have money to burn. Perhaps that money should be better used as donations to charities such as Great Ormond Street as a way of helping youngsters who have had their limbs off because of fireworks, rockets and sparklers damaging them? - it's a better use of that money, I think.
                              I'm having so much fun
                              My lucky number's one
                              Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Working...
                              X