What languages do memberS SPEAK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What languages do memberS SPEAK

I was just thinking about languages and was wondering do any members speak a 2nd language.

so do any members speak a 2nd language.

Im sure some of us mite have taken school classes in another language.

My 2nd language is japanese which ive been learning for about 18th months.
    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Re: What languages do memberS SPEAK

I did German at school (my school was twinned with one in Germany, hence the language learnt). Not quite the same thing, but I do have a go at translating things via Google.

Funnily enough, I bought something earlier on today from Argos and its instruction manual consists of instructions no fewer than 28 different languages! - Ukrainian rather confusingly abbreviated to on the manual as "UK".

I wonder if things like sign language, braille and the like would also count as languages in this respect, even though we don't speak them?
    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

I learnt enough French at school to get by on a holiday, & have been trying to learn Japanese for a few years without much success.
      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

If the Eurovision Song Contest and other places have anything to go by, it does seem that our European counterparts at least speak good English, and so in that respect, one feels as they are meeting us halfway with the language situation.

A bit topical l I know regarding Brexit and the like, but I was watching the BBC News earlier on and several European Prime Ministers were interviewed on camera, and many of them including the Dutch and Luxembourg ones spoke very good English and needed no subtitles on screen. In a nutshell, most people on the continent if asked whether they could speak another language, they would most probably respond "English", even if their "English" was actually based on American vocabulary.
        I'm having so much fun
        My lucky number's one
        Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

When I was a child could speak Welsh fluently.It was a difficult language to learn probably even harder now if your starting from scratch

Comment

Apparently Mandarin is the hardest language to learn and Norwegian the easiest ...(source unknown)
            Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

Effective Language Learning

The #1 Resource for Language Learners!

Language Difficulty Ranking

The Foreign Service Institute (FSI) has created a list to show the approximate time you need to learn a specific language as an English speaker. After this particular study time you will reach “Speaking 3: General Professional Proficiency in Speaking (S3)” and “Reading 3: General Professional Proficiency in Reading (R3)”
              Please keep in mind that this ranking only shows the view of the Foreign Service Institute (FSI) and some language students or experts may disagree with the ranking.
              If there is a language in this list you would like to learn and it is in a high difficult category, don’t let this stop you from learning it. Even if they are ranked as difficult, it does not mean that they are impossible to learn and maybe it is not hard for you at all.

* Languages preceded by asterisks are usually more difficult for native English speakers to learn than other languages in the same category.

Comment

Grade A at French 'O'-Level but that's it, although I know a few German words and numbers...
                Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Thanks for the list Darren, I've heard Finnish is supposed to be the hardest European language to learn, at least for an English speaker.

While Japanese has 3 scripts to learn, the spoken version probably isn't much more difficult than another European language to learn, certainly it doesn't have the very tricky tones to learn that most other far eastern languages have.

Comment

NO PROBS MATE.

CHECK THIS LINK ON JAPANESE.https://youtu.be/WjNNIUkdd4c

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
                    Thanks for the list Darren, I've heard Finnish is supposed to be the hardest European language to learn, at least for an English speaker.

While Japanese has 3 scripts to learn, the spoken version probably isn't much more difficult than another European language to learn, certainly it doesn't have the very tricky tones to learn that most other far eastern languages have.

Comment

I did Spanish at school and learned how to order two beers ....who remembers linguaphone?, a series of records which taught foreign languages
                      Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
                        Isn't Finnish related to Estonian in some way? - I believe that some words are "loan words" which appear in both languages.
                        I'm having so much fun
                        My lucky number's one
                        Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

During Year 7 at school my languages teacher not only taught German but she was German by birth, and so therefore she was teaching her mother tongue - I don't know whether that is an advantage compared to someone who had to learn a second language rather than teaching their first one, but a lot of people thought that she wasn't a very good teacher.
                          I'm having so much fun
                          My lucky number's one
                          Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
                            Isn't Finnish related to Estonian in some way? - I believe that some words are "loan words" which appear in both languages.
                            Yes that's right, Hungarian is also related & they are all distantly related to Turkish.

Comment

I would have obviously thought that Estonian was linked to Latvian, and Finnish with Swedish or something.
                              I'm having so much fun
                              My lucky number's one
                              Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Working...
                              X