No announcement yet.

Your first gig...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first concert ever, Hammersmith Odeon 1977, STATUS QUO. I was in the front row
    The support act was a band called BRITISH LIONS, who were MOTT who where MOTT THE HOOPLE, who's support act in 1974 were a little known band called QUEEN

Comment

Your first gig...

mine was the master that is Mr Robbie Williams!
      I went to see him at Hull City Hall back in 1998, I had to go on my own as my mates hubbie wouldn`t let her go.
      The concert was great! I was so amazed to be in the same place as Robbie! It was fabulous!
      He performed the songs off his debut album of course, I especially remember a song called `Clean` cos the lighting to it was pink and blue...ace! He started the show with the hyper- Let me Entertain You.
      About a month later I won tickets to go see Robbie again at Londons Kentish Town Forum! I had entered a competition in Smash Hits mag and was ecstatic to get to see Rob again. I won coach travel from Peterborough to the gig and back so I had to make my own way to Peterborough and back. My dad hired me a brand new Renault Megane to drive down in.
      The concert was again fab. We got in without queueing cos we were with a disabled girl and her mum who we`d met on the coach,she was scared of her daughter getting crushed so we said we`ll stay with you then. The forum gave us the choice of any seat in the house! we sat at centre of the balcony. My son came with me and he must be the only person I know who could fall asleep at a Robbie gig! We missed our bus back up to Peterboro` cos I`d gone off to get autographs at the side door..I managed to meet Robs guitarist Fil Eisler and get an autograph. It was scary being stranded in London, we had to go to the Police station to ask where things were as we`d never been down there before. Doh! The Police took us to Kings Cross Station and we caught a train back up to Peterboro`. then we had to get a taxi back to the car park where I`d left the Megane! What a night!

Comment

Amazing that Gary Barlow was tipped to be the one who'd do best post-TT. Robbie is easily the best 30-something entertainer around.
        Into the 5th Millennium & beyond...!

Comment

Robbie v Gary

Originally posted by Aidan
          Amazing that Gary Barlow was tipped to be the one who'd do best post-TT. Robbie is easily the best 30-something entertainer around.
          personally I like both Robbie and Gary. But Robbie clearly had alot of hidden talent that we knew nothing of until he went solo.he always had charisma and was the joker of Take That but we knew very little of his writing ability until he went solo. I guess they all thought Gary would be the star cos he was the songwriter/singer. but his popularity waned in 1998-9 with all the rob v gaz wars going on and a change in music direction generally in the charts.I guess Rob had more to offer and people could relate to him and what he was singing about more than they could garys stuff.plus Robbie sure is alot of fun!

I remember dance music was big in 1999 it really became more mainstream on radio`s etc.

Comment

The Who at the Valley (Charlton) - Spring 1974. I was just 15 and it was a fantastic experience. Fell in love with Roger Daltrey and am still a fan today - sigh.
            Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved and attractive body but rather a skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'Woo Hoo What a Ride

Comment

U2 Joshua Tree Tour 1987 but saw OMD playing down Swansea Marina way before that, perhaps 1982, something to do with Swap Shop!

Comment

What was the first gig you went to and when?

Hawkwind-Monday 4th September 1972... blew my mind away!

the_blue_newt
                F.A Health Warning
                Supporting Manchester City can seriously damage your health
                ''City Till I Die!''

Comment

Duran Duran - about 1982/83 at the NEC.

Comment

The first ever gig I went to was The Stones in The Park in 1969. The second was Ravi Shankar live at the Liverpool Philharmonic. The last was Black Sabbath at the Birmingham Academy 5 years ago.

Comment

don't know if this should be memorable or embarrassing but a friend and i went down to london to see a variety of bands in some event at some park (lol). It could even have been Regents' Park? aaaanyhoo...i really only wanted to see Carter (the Unstoppable Sex Machine) and waited a fair while of the day before they came on. Just before they got on stage my friend and i edged closer and closer until the band came on and on the first chord someone jumped on my foot (and broke it!), i half passed out and got hauled up over the crowd with a bouncer grabbing my by my nickers and giving me a supreme wedgie to get me down into the pit lol. i missed the entire set and had chaff-burn on my *** for a week afterwards lol. how's that for a memory?

Comment

Mine was yesterday!!! (1st June 2006) Alice Cooper Man, he totaly rocked!!! He was amazing!!!!!! He did a one night only concert at the Villa Marina in Douglas here on the Isle Of Man. Only small though, with somewhere between 100 n 200 people, summat like that but it was fantastic!
                        Growing old is inevitable but growing up is optional

Comment

Mine was (and I'm quite proud of this one) was Billy Bragg at the local sports centre in the North East. That was back in the days that 'Red Wedge' was the musical arm of the Labour party. The Best all time gig has to be Prince at Manchester Main road. Just before the album Diamonds and pearls came out. Truly awesome. And the hassle I had getting to the gig was epic in proportion. The bus company that I'd booked with went out of business about a week before the concert, I had to book a train to Manchester and organise a ticket at the venue itself. They had sold out, but a friend worked at the venue and managed to get me a ticket from 'the back room' basically, it was a hand written note to the showsec staff to let me in. They had an 'understanding' with the venue staff for this sort of thing. I was ushered to the other line that went to the front of the stage reserved for VIP's and the like. Very special.

Comment

Red Wedge = Labour Party = Billy Bragg!!! Poor nottrikk, you need to see Black Sabbath in concert to fully understand a REAL gig

Comment

Judas priest,annihilator and pantera at wembly 1991

Comment

Originally posted by stu
                                My first concert ever, Hammersmith Odeon 1977, STATUS QUO. I was in the front row
                                The support act was a band called BRITISH LIONS, who were MOTT who where MOTT THE HOOPLE, who's support act in 1974 were a little known band called QUEEN
                                superb

Comment

Working...
                                X