Adverts that used the tune of Yakety Yak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adverts that used the tune of Yakety Yak

Looking at old ad breaks on YouTube, it got me thinking of how many different unrelated adverts used the Coasters' old tune of Yakety Yak in their adverts. I suppose that it is a very original tuneful song that can be used to insert different lyrics just like advertisers have.

Another point to make is the similarity that tune has in both name and how it sounds with Yakety Sax - the Boots Randolph composition which was more famous in Britain as being the Thames theme tune of The Benny Hill Show. Funnily enough, when I was at the Leicester Curve last month waiting to watch Grease the Musical, either before it was to due to start, or during the interval, I heard the Yakety Yak tune played in the foyer which sounded as if was a crossover with the Benny Hill Show theme as they sound so similar.

Anyway, from what my memory tells me (as well a little help from my "YouTube" friend), here is a list of adverts that used that tune - bear in mind that there could be some forgotten ones that also used it as well which are not in the list:

1) Radox (1985) - A woman fetching wood, and shopping and all that into a car boot, not to mention jogging in a park which obviously made her tired and wanting a bath full of hot water and Radox. They had "oh my back" after Yakety-Yak was sung.

2) Walkers Say Cheese (1987) - Forgotten brand of crisp-alike snacks made by Walkers, which portrayed various historic figures such as Marilyn Monroe and John F Kennedy as well as Brian Clough. The singer sings "Walkers" in lieu of Yakety Yak, and then "Say Cheese" after it.

3) Green Shield Stamps (1988) - Argos more or less replaced them in the 1970s, but the stamps had made a comeback in the late 1980s. Cue a few 1950s style sub-Happy Days and Shakin' Stevens group dancers on set, and after Yakety Yak is sung - "Green Shield's Back" after it. A petrol station advert might have also used the song and their adverts, unless I thinking about this one - it was forgotten by myself until an LWT ad break downloaded on YT revealed it.

4) Dalepak (1989) - Frozen food, mostly seen in freezer centres and the odd branch of Asda - obviously, the Dalepak name was sung after Yakety Yak.

5) Chat Magazine (1990) - My late mother used to read the magazine, and it was a colour tabloid newspaper format for its first five years (even adopting a tabloid-alike price of 18p at first until it increased to a magazine price). Around the time when it officially became a glossy magazine around April 1990, and it tried to compete with Take a Break as a puzzle and competition magazine (complete with write on, wipe off cross puzzle on a red clipboard), they also used Yakety Yak as well, trying to rhyme Chat with the song.

6) McCain Micro Chips (latter half of the 1990s) - Probably the best remembered of them - McCain used this for a few years in the latter half of the 1990s, showing rooms moving around to the next one, and kitchen scenes of families putting the box of Micro Chips in the microwave and all that - cue nurse coming home after her shift from the hospital and putting a box in the microwave. Unlike the previous adverts, Yakety Yak was changed to Quicketty-Quick to almost rhyme with Micro Chips.

There must be a few more, but the midst of time has buried it with regards to personal memory and archive evidence of old ad breaks - it is such a "maddening" tune and one can understand how so many advertisers over the years have chosen it to coincidentally advertise their products with it, using their own words in time to the lyrics. Obviously, one wouldn't write a tune specially for an advert if it was only going to be used for a few weeks and then finishes it purpose. I could have sworn that Coalseal Windows had used that tune along with so many others on to advertise on Trent FM and Gem AM in Nottingham in the mid 1990s as well. And of course, even Clive Anderson used the tune for his …Talks Back series on Channel 4.

Wikipedia mentions the Radox and the McCain Micro Chips ones, but others have been officially forgotten by them - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yakety_Yak

I know that this doesn't mean much to people on here, but I thought that I would mention all these just in case it triggers off any memories by any members on here.
    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Re: Adverts that used the tune of Yakety Yak

I remember a few of those, I did wonder when resinging old songs to be advertising jingles started, it's certainly been around as far as I remember.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
      . The singer sings "Walkers" in lieu of Yakety Yak, and then "Say Cheese" after it.
      How? It's the wrong number of syllables, with the wrong rhythm to fit the song.

Comment

Originally posted by I. R. Fincham View Post
        How? It's the wrong number of syllables, with the wrong rhythm to fit the song.
        I agree with the fact that it isn't in keeping with the lyrics used in other adverts that used Yakety Yak, but this is what Walkers did back in 1987 - hear it for yourself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AlmwJwBjEU

I know that itt doesn't fit in too well with the lyrics and I thought that it was the worst advert to parody that song, but they decided to do that instead - probably one of the main reasons why Say Cheese is no longer made by Walkers (well, I haven't seen them on supermarket shelves since they were advertised in any rate).
        I'm having so much fun
        My lucky number's one
        Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

I have to say that ever since I started this thread, I have got the earworm of that Coasters song all day!
          I'm having so much fun
          My lucky number's one
          Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
            I agree with the fact that it isn't in keeping with the lyrics used in other adverts that used Yakety Yak, but this is what Walkers did back in 1987 - hear it for yourself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AlmwJwBjEU

I know that itt doesn't fit in too well with the lyrics and I thought that it was the worst advert to parody that song, but they decided to do that instead - probably one of the main reasons why Say Cheese is no longer made by Walkers (well, I haven't seen them on supermarket shelves since they were advertised in any rate).

Lol, that's hilarious! Probably the worst usage of a pre-existing song I've ever seen in an advert - it really doesn't fit the rhythm at all.

Comment

I might write to Walkers to ask them what happened to Say Cheese - I might even mention the Yakety-Yak song as well, although they probably won't know what I am going on about as it was more than 30 years ago.

Last night I typed in "Yakety-Yak advert" on YouTube, and the Radox, Green Shield Stamps (as part of the LWT ad break) and McCain Micro Chips adverts came up in the search - I am sure that I briefly heard a Dalepak advert on there with the tune but it must have got taken down some time ago.
              I'm having so much fun
              My lucky number's one
              Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Thinking about it, there might have been one of those adverts for one of those 0898 chat line number adverts that was shown on late night ITV in the late 1980s or 1990s that used to use Yakety Yak as well.
                I'm having so much fun
                My lucky number's one
                Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Working...
                X