Ad_Forums-Top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RIP Anne Phelan (Prisoner: Cell Block H actress)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP Anne Phelan (Prisoner: Cell Block H actress)

The Australian actress Anne Phelan, famous for playing Top Dog Myra Desmond in Prisoner: Cell Block H has died - Wikipedia doesn't know whether she was born in either 1944 or 1948, and so therefore she was either 71 or 75 - we do know that he birthday was on 2nd August, and so therefore she would have celebrated her birthday this year.

Phelan was most famous for playing Myra Desmond (and I have to admit that I often used to confuse her character's name with a real-life British prisoner with the same first name, but enough said about that the better). Desmond was one of Prisoner's regular characters, appearing sporadically during its earlier years, and became an official regular a few months after Bea Smith (Val Lehman) left, filling her shoes eventually as Top Dog. And then came Ruth Ballenger (Lindy Davies) and the infamous siege where admittedly, it wasn't the only time that the actress die, for Desmond was shot dead by gunmen in episode 552 after there were rumours that the writers and producers wanted to turn her into a lesbian character, presumably to replace Judy Bryant (Betty Bobbitt) who left the series a couple of months before. She didn't want to do that and decided to leave the series as a result.

I also saw Phelan (or a similar actress) in an It'll Be Alright on the Night outtake first seen in the early 1990s where she was visiting someone in bed (probably in hospital), and as she was leaving, Phelan's character tried to feel around the wall for the light switch but couldn't find it - the light went out anyway as a result of the lighting operator - I am almost certain it was her. This Phelan had no connection with Connor Macintyre's Coronation Street namesake from a couple of years ago.

A week or so ago, we incidentally lost Reg Watson who was one of the first producers on the show, and I obviously used to confuse him with Reg Grundy because of their associations with the series and the fact that they both had the same first name.

So many actresses from PCBH have left us in recent years such as Judy McBurney (Pixie Mason) and Judith McGrath (Collen Powell), Anne Phelan is another one to add to the list.
    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Re: RIP Anne Phelan (Prisoner: Cell Block H actress)

............. never watched it
    Attached Files
    Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

Originally posted by tex View Post
      ............. never watched it
      No excuse.
      I'm having so much fun
      My lucky number's one
      Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

I wasa big watcher of this show remember it been shown on itv and was also on channel 5 when it launched and one or 2 other times.

regarding pixie mason she was in it from 79 to 86

talking of reg watson he died on october 8 this year and he was also a producer on neighbours.
        Myra herself im sure was on neighbours for a short time.

But a lo
        t of prisoner cast members have been on neighbours and currently still are.

Originally posted by george 1978 View Post
        the australian actress anne phelan, famous for playing top dog myra desmond in prisoner: Cell block h has died - wikipedia doesn't know whether she was born in either 1944 or 1948, and so therefore she was either 71 or 75 - we do know that he birthday was on 2nd august, and so therefore she would have celebrated her birthday this year.

Phelan was most famous for playing myra desmond (and i have to admit that i often used to confuse her character's name with a real-life british prisoner with the same first name, but enough said about that the better). Desmond was one of prisoner's regular characters, appearing sporadically during its earlier years, and became an official regular a few months after bea smith (val lehman) left, filling her shoes eventually as top dog. And then came ruth ballenger (lindy davies) and the infamous siege where admittedly, it wasn't the only time that the actress die, for desmond was shot dead by gunmen in episode 552 after there were rumours that the writers and producers wanted to turn her into a lesbian character, presumably to replace judy bryant (betty bobbitt) who left the series a couple of months before. She didn't want to do that and decided to leave the series as a result.

I also saw phelan (or a similar actress) in an it'll be alright on the night outtake first seen in the early 1990s where she was visiting someone in bed (probably in hospital), and as she was leaving, phelan's character tried to feel around the wall for the light switch but couldn't find it - the light went out anyway as a result of the lighting operator - i am almost certain it was her. This phelan had no connection with connor macintyre's coronation street namesake from a couple of years ago.

A week or so ago, we incidentally lost reg watson who was one of the first producers on the show, and i obviously used to confuse him with reg grundy because of their associations with the series and the fact that they both had the same first name.

So many actresses from pcbh have left us in recent years such as judy mcburney (pixie mason) and judith mcgrath (collen powell), anne phelan is another one to add to the list.
        FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Yes, Neighbours was a huge asset to any former Prisoner actor (or actress if one refers to two thirds of the cast) as the series literally prevented them from being out of a job - the main problem was that because Prisoner was an institutional (no pun intended) soap opera, storylines and characters can often be limited and so therefore it wasn't surprising that it ended after just over seven years. It's like expecting Porridge to go on as long as Last of the Summer Wine had.
          I'm having so much fun
          My lucky number's one
          Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

A lot of Australian soaps seemed to run for less than a decade before Neighbours, The Sullivans & The Young Doctors come to mind.
            The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Working...
            X