Putting the heating on for the autumn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Putting the heating on for the autumn

The end of October and the start of November almost has a strange sensation - the clocks have gone back one hour and the evenings start earlier; trick or treaters and fireworks are out and about; and newsreaders on the TV are wearing poppies. And it's got cold all of a sudden hence the heating. I came back home after shopping today and I couldn't believe that one of my neighbours had his windows open!

The heating in my flat has always been dodgy - I obviously have it switched off during summer because of the warmer weather, and as a result, the boiler seems to cut itself off from the heating supply during the summer months and by the time I do need to work in the autumn, it doesn't - obviously I wouldn't have it on all year round so that it doesn't do that. I have emailed the Housing Association every year, and they have to send someone from maintenance to come to my flat, do a few things with the boiler and make heating come out of the radiators for the first time in several months, although when it does, it feels great and it feels like home! This year they did the deed on Tuesday, and I suppose it is like witnessing Blackpool Illuminations being switched on - almost a big event.

But there is something about coming home to a warm place - I hated living at my old place because of its inner-city location, but the one thing that I do miss from the family home was the gas fire in the living room which really warmed up the room in no time at all. And of course, a lovely hot running bath with a capful of Radox poured in while the water is running, and hey presto! - it's like having a jacuzzi. Mind you, the central heating as it is arranged means that my bedroom isn't as warm as the one I had where I lived previously, mostly because the airing cupboard was in the same room. I have a portable heater from Argos which isn't very friendly to one's electricity bill, but at least I don't feel as if I am halfway to the Queen's Medical Centre due to a hypothermia diagnosis.

Now I am thinking about November and December, and yes, I am wondering how cold it will be on the day of the General Election - I know that it did snow on that day two years ago, and so it makes me wonder. I also think about how much it does cost to keep one's heating on each day - I know that sue to harassment from utility companies knocking on my door in the early 2000s, I nearly had a different gas and electricity supplier for each day of the week, and I know that Watchdog covered it at the time.

No, I think that it is worth paying a little extra on the gas bill - I am with British Gas, mostly because it is like the BT, Royal Mail, or BBC of gas and electricity companies, i.e. Britain's most recognised brand within its genre. This time of year means to me having the heating on, while drinking a Cup-a-Soup. At Christmas, when visiting relatives on Boxing Day, I come back in the evening, put the kettle on and relax and watch the Royal Institution Christmas Lectures on BBC Four, being thankful that life exists.

Does anyone else feel a form of relaxation at this time of year simply due to central heating and hot running water in their home?
    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Re: Putting the heating on for the autumn

Gas and electric bills can be a worry in winter, draughtproof your home and wear plenty of layers
    Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

Loft insulation!
      Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

My heating boiler can be programmed to warm to a particular temperature at a certain time of the day, so I can just leave it to be turned on & off by the thermostat.

This means it doesn't come on over the summer, & has started coming on in the last week or so.
        The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by zabadak View Post
          Loft insulation!
          Not all of us (such as those who happen to live in a flat) actually have a loft!
          I'm having so much fun
          My lucky number's one
          Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
            My heating boiler can be programmed to warm to a particular temperature at a certain time of the day, so I can just leave it to be turned on & off by the thermostat.

This means it doesn't come on over the summer, & has started coming on in the last week or so.
            Any ideas if it’s cheaper to leave the heating on low / medium 24/7 so the temp never really drops much or to have it full blasting twice a day for an hour or so ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

[QUOTE=Zincubus;244478]Any ideas if it’s cheaper to leave the heating on low / medium 24/7 so the temp never really drops much or to have it full blasting twice a day for an hour or so ??

I leave my heating on a low temp 24/7 i have my living room and hallway radiators on, and i keep the bathroom, bedroom, kitchen, and utility room doors closed so there's no cold draught coming from those rooms. I don't like being too hot so it works well for me.

Comment

Originally posted by tex View Post
                Gas and electric bills can be a worry in winter, draughtproof your home and wear plenty of layers
                Live in one room and heat that room, i know an elderly lady who has her bed moved into her living room during the winter, she just heats that room as is so snug and warm.

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
                  Not all of us (such as those who happen to live in a flat) actually have a loft!
                  I have a loft in my first floor apartment, i have a thatched roof so the loft space will be quite spacious, I've never been up there though, too many spiders! ☺

Comment

Have started to put the heating on to take away the chill

Comment

I must call the housing association so that I can get the heat on the radiators again.
                      I'm having so much fun
                      My lucky number's one
                      Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

[QUOTE=George 1978;257637]I must call the housing association so that I can get the heat on the radiators again.[/QUOTE

Do all the residents have to do this?

Comment

We had a smart meter installed. It was all looking good during the summer; hitting about £2.50 per day. Now with winter approaching and the boiler working for many hours the meter is going a bit nuts. Yesterday it read £5.00, which would equate to £150 per month.

Comment

[QUOTE=amethyst;257646]
                            Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
                            I must call the housing association so that I can get the heat on the radiators again.[/QUOTE

Do all the residents have to do this?
                            I don't know but what I believe happens is the fact that the thermostat stops working during the summer due to it not being switched on, so when I do need to be on in the autumn, it doesn't work and Maintenance needs to be called. One solution is to have it on every day of the year but: A) it would cost too much; and: B) it would be daft having the heating on during the summer months when there could be a heatwave. Six of one and half a dozen of the other.

I believe that the previous residents of my flat (I have been here since 2014) must have had the same problem. I moved in November, a time of year when heating would be on, no doubt. I had the problem from the start, but I don't know whether it was due to the previous occupants moving in the autumn or whether that is just a coincidence.
                            I'm having so much fun
                            My lucky number's one
                            Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by Moonraker View Post
                              We had a smart meter installed. It was all looking good during the summer; hitting about £2.50 per day. Now with winter approaching and the boiler working for many hours the meter is going a bit nuts. Yesterday it read £5.00, which would equate to £150 per month.
                              That's expensive

Comment

Working...
                              X