RIP Jean Fergusson - actress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP Jean Fergusson - actress

The actress Jean Fergusson who appeared as miniskirt-clad Marina in 216 episodes of Last of the Summer Wine has died aged 74.

For some reason, the fact that she appeared in Summer Wine makes me think that she was a lot older than that - it made me think that obviously due to the aging cast back then, that not many of them are still around now - a lot them were already in their 70s back then - are there any of them left? She was not to be confused with the name of Joan Ferguson of PCBH fame, and her surname was spelt with the Scandinavian -sson ending.

Fergusson feels to me to be interchangeable with the comedy actress Hylda Baker with which she portrayed many times - that irritating "she knows, you know" catchphrase was probably one of the few things that I wasn't too fond of. I know that she made an appearance on the 1990s version of Pebble Mill where she was interviewed by Judi Spiers. Other TV appearances consisted of a relatively recent stint in Coronation Street as Dorothy Hoyle, and she was also in Crossroads, and All Creatures Great and Small as well.

We sadly now know, you know.
    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Re: RIP Jean Fergusson - actress

It was funny oh Howard oh Marina.His wife Pearl was not impressed
    RIP Jean

Comment

What a great talent Jean was indeed. I loved Jean's long stint as Howard's "bit on the side - Marina" in Last Of The Summer Wine giving the poor "Hen Pecked Guy" some respite from Pearl - which was supurbly played by other the Man who played and Jean a-like!

I also remember Jean's short-ish stint too in Coronation Street as Dorothy Hoyle - the mother of John Stape's crazy stalker/lover

RIP Jean Fergusson

Comment

I've been trying to remember her in Coronation Street, but as her character was involved in that whole Colin Fishwick storyline I may've just blocked it out.
        My virtual jigsaws: https://www.jigsawplanet.com/beccabear67/Original-photo-puzzles

Comment

Very very sad yo jean hear.
          R i p jean a wonderful actress.
          FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by beccabear67 View Post
            I've been trying to remember her in Coronation Street, but as her character was involved in that whole Colin Fishwick storyline I may've just blocked it out.
            She played a number of different characters over the years - about four of them in total.
            I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
            There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
            I'm having so much fun
            My lucky number's one
            Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Gosh, that's sad to hear. Marina and Howard were regular characters for so many years. LOTSW was such a great sitcom and it was blessed with so many fine actors and actresses, sadly not so many with us anymore. RIP.

Comment

Working...
              X