In sickness and in health

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In sickness and in health

Did anyone used to like watching Alfie Garnett? I thought he was hilarious, especially when he went on holiday to Australia and was very condescendingly trying to explain to an Aborigine how he travelled there "on great white bird" and kept saying "understand-y". Then the Aborigine replies "Bugger off you old fool, we've got work to do! Understand-y!" Classic!
    "Ah, nostalgia ain't what it used to be..."

Re: In sickness and in health

Class TV - Too UN PC now unfortunately!

Too frightened of upsetting any delicate flowers

Comment

In Sickness and In Health was brilliant. Admitted it had un-savoury elements which I can never ever ever agree with at all. I thought that Warren played Alf to such perfection in other respects as the loveable old rouge who annoyed everyone in sight - even if he did'nt mean to (which i'm sure he did'nt when he realised after what he had done).

I liked it I think more than Till Death Do Us Part, but still that was great too with Una Stubbs etc and the originals cast and characters in it.

80sChav

Comment

love the show old classics rule
        THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE TRUST NO ONE

Comment

Compared to Till Death Do Us Part it seemed to concentrate more on Alf coping with old age rather then the bigger issues of the day.

Some episodes were really funny, especially when Alf was trying to make things better for himself & ending up making an even bigger mess.

One that stands out is when he tried cleaning Mrs Hollinberry's windows by sitting on the ledge & closing the sash, only for it to get stuck!
          The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I guess In Sickness and in Health was different to Till death Do Us Part. It still stood the test of time though for another 7 Series (missing out 1 or 2 years at the most). I thought that Dandy Nichols who played Alf's Wife was brilliant and such a unique actress, who was such the opposite of Alf in every aspect there was. Having such a brilliant cast too that not always had major parts in episodes made it I think too, like the guy who lived near Alf who - he was just so so funny in any scene with Alf - arguing etc I thought.
            Last edited by 80sChav; 11-09-2012, 18:00.

Comment

There were a couple of old women who turn up at Alf's a couple of times, I think they were distant relatives.

One of them was getting a bit senile, & thought Alf's portrait of the Queen was a picture of her Great Auntie Dolly.

She also though Alf's friend was someone else, & tipped a glass of beer over his head.
              The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
                There were a couple of old women who turn up at Alf's a couple of times, I think they were distant relatives.

One of them was getting a bit senile, & thought Alf's portrait of the Queen was a picture of her Great Auntie Dolly.

She also though Alf's friend was someone else, & tipped a glass of beer over his head.
                I think that one of the lady's was called Mini, Richard. I don't know if you've ever watched the final episode from Series 7 that was new in 1992 but i'd really really recommend it to any In Sickness and In Health fan. Totaly out and out brilliance!

Comment

in sickness and in health ran from 1st of september 1985 until 3rd of april 1992.
                  there where 47 episodes lasting a half hour each.

good cast with una stubbs and alf garnett.

yes i remember it.great stuff.

and things where mentioned in it that would not be allowed now.

was going to post a link from youtube of it but i might get in bother.

never seen till death do us part. which came before in sickness and in health.

the classics are still the best.
                  FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                    in sickness and in health ran from 1st of september 1985 until 3rd of april 1992.
                    there where 47 episodes lasting a half hour each.

good cast with una stubbs and alf garnett.

yes i remember it.great stuff.

and things where mentioned in it that would not be allowed now.

was going to post a link from youtube of it but i might get in bother.

never seen till death do us part. which came before in sickness and in health.

the classics are still the best.
                    Utterly good stuff indeed ISAIH was too Darren. Admitted Alf was a Rascist Bigot of the highest order to put it mildy - but the stelling performances Warren gave can amount to sensational!! Though at times it got a tad over the top, but regardless it was proper comedy from the days of no Red-tape even though a lot of it was extreme rascim.

I think it would be fair to say that upon watching ISAIH, it surpassed Til death Us Do Part in comeback terms and that can't be said for many re-invented Series' of any nature (if even any) I am tempted to say and believe

80sChav

Comment

Sine re-watching some episodes and my last post yesterday re ISAIH I have discovered some possibly interesting information for any fans of ISAH I have heard on the grapevine that a a missing episode has been found from at some point between it's airing of between 1985 and 1992.

From which series/yeat it is I am unsure exactly - though i am dreading carefully in that it really is true, just like Fawlty Towers had supposedly had a missing episode for many years (which in some way's I stiull believe in the hope of it), though of course time has gone on too long to prover otherwise I feel. which in a way I feel re ISAIH in many ways - even though we are only talking 25 years at the least time-wise/time-scale-wise

80sChav
                      Last edited by 80sChav; 13-07-2017, 19:48.

Comment

I've watched an interview with Johnny Speight, the creator of Alf Garnett, in which he states that Alf was meant to be "a disgusting article." He was never meant to be a hero. Johnny Speight also stated that he based Alf off his own father. He also stated that he sincerely hoped his children would never, ever turn out like Alf.

Warren Mitchell, who played Alf, also stated that Alf was a bigoted disgusting person. He also stated that many times, in the street, people would tell him how good Alf was and how well he told the truth. He then told them, that the joke was on them.

Warren Mitchell did give Alf a personality. He brought him to life. He also stated he was indebted to the character.

In reality, we are really laughing at our own inner self. I did watch ISAIH, and in general, I did like it. My favourite episode was when Alf's wife was assigned a home help. He drove the first couple of home helps away. Finally, he met his match. Has the series went on, his wife had died (Dandy Nicholls sadly passed away), his daughter no longer visited him (Una Stubbs no longer wanted to play the part after Dandy Nicholls passed away), Alf longed for his family. His home help, Winston, partly fills that gap. One episode, around Christmas time, Alf is alone. He feels very sad and lonely, Winston finally turns up with several friends. Winston's boy friend is actually played by Johnny Speight's own son.

My favourite episode on the original Till Death Us Do Part, is Three Day Week. His wife winds him up with no dinner. She runs rings around him. I won't give any more away for those who haven't seen it. It's one of the best. It's also Alf's wife's finest moment.

After the death of Johnny Speight, Warren Mitchell decided Alf must die with him. After the TV series, Alf appeared in An Audience with Chairman Alf. Set on stage, Alf gave speeches and answered question from the audience. Warren Mitchell later said in an interview, he was not told that the audience would argue back with him. It really added something to it. Alf Garnett then went into the sunset.
                        Who cared about rules when you were young?

Comment

I liked In Sickness and in Health quite a lot and would make a point of watching it when it was on TV. The inclusion of Marigold really spiced up the show and gave Alf another sparring partner who could give as good as he could take in their frequent disagreements. It was also nice to see Carmel McSharry as Alf's neighbour--anyone remember her from Beryl's Lot?

Comment

Working...
                          X