Thread: Christmas fayre

Default Christmas fayre

Walking around Morrissons today i couldn't help wondering why supermarkets start selling perishable fresh foods which are intended for the christmas period so early, the shelves were heaving with food which is past its sell by date well in advance of christmas. They were even selling fresh turkeys at 25 each which were out of date one week into december?
    ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN IN THE NEXT HALF HOUR.

Default Re: Christmas fayre

I have mentioned it before on here regarding sell by dates of traditional Christmas food - a local Sainsbury's was selling mince pies in October which had a November sell-by date. At least my advent calendar has a best-before date of 31st March 2020 on it.

They must be big turkeys if they cost 25 - they probably have B Matthews, Esq on them.
    Telling it almost exactly like it was so many years later - and proud of doing so!

Maybe the turkeys were for freezing.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Indeed - freezing food obviously extends the life of the item. Quite often I go along with the date on them as it assumes that one is to refrigerate rather than freeze them.
    Telling it almost exactly like it was so many years later - and proud of doing so!

Is it a fact for the consumer to buy more products try them first oh those mince pies were delicious,have to by 2 boxes next timetime don't think xmas puddings are the same they probably have 6 month date on them

Quote Originally Posted by Richard1978 View Post
    Maybe the turkeys were for freezing.
    In which case buy a frozen turkey for half the price

Quote Originally Posted by George 1978 View Post
    I have mentioned it before on here regarding sell by dates of traditional Christmas food - a local Sainsbury's was selling mince pies in October which had a November sell-by date. At least my advent calendar has a best-before date of 31st March 2020 on it.

They must be big turkeys if they cost 25 - they probably have B Matthews, Esq on them.
    Although mince pies are indeed traditionally a christmas treat i think most people who like them are happy to see them on the shelves early

Quote Originally Posted by tex View Post
    Although mince pies are indeed traditionally a christmas treat i think most people who like them are happy to see them on the shelves early
    I can imagine a Christmas party in which mince pies over a month after their sell-by date are served - no wonder that food poisoning incidents peak at Christmas time.

There are also the Christmas parties at schools where parents make jellies, cakes and the like.