Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Black friday

Default Re: Black friday

Quote Originally Posted by George 1978 View Post
    To be fair, I do the odd Amazon and eBay shop as well as the Tesco online shop - I think that it depends on what you order as to whether it makes one obese or not.
    I meant if shoppers go out and purchase the item rather than having it delivered then you burn more calories.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonraker View Post
    I meant if shoppers go out and purchase the item rather than having it delivered then you burn more calories.
    Certainly at this time of year you do.
    Telling it almost exactly like it was so many years later - and proud of doing so!

Yes the first year we had it a few yrs back people where literally and actually fighting each other over tv's etc.

The uk is becoming americanised halloween here is now very american with pumpkins etc altho that started a fEW good while ago.
    I wonder whats next.

Quote Originally Posted by george 1978 View Post
    it seems to be an american tradition that doesn't fit in well in great britain - notice how just a few years ago, police had to be called to tesco stores around the country when the public got out of hand trying to the grab the latest hd tv set? - i know that it happened in tex's patch of manchester. It does remind me of that ikea store which opened at midnight in edmonton, north london, one of the most deprived areas of london, and the locals went so mad that the store had to be closed within ten minutes and police reinforcements had to be called.

I received nine emails in my inbox today and eight of them were from various stores mentioning black friday.
    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Quote Originally Posted by darren View Post
    Yes the first year we had it a few yrs back people where literally and actually fighting each other over tv's etc.

The uk is becoming americanised halloween here is now very american with pumpkins etc altho that started a fEW good while ago.
    I wonder whats next.
    It just doesn't fit in with British culture, does it? - people being anti-social in public just to get the latest HD TV set or knockdown bargain. The irony is that the British tradition is people being patient and considerate, and don't mind queueing for what they want.
    Telling it almost exactly like it was so many years later - and proud of doing so!

Has anyone decided what they want for Christmas yet?

This year, I have had the irony of wanting a new Member of Parliament - when was the last time that happened?

Quote Originally Posted by George 1978 View Post
    Has anyone decided what they want for Christmas yet?

This year, I have had the irony of wanting a new Member of Parliament - when was the last time that happened?
    Ive asked santa for some irony....just pulling your leg George
    ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN IN THE NEXT HALF HOUR.

Kids on the naughty list get the best presents...
    Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Quote Originally Posted by tex View Post
    Ive asked santa for some irony....just pulling your leg George
    Well they do stop your clothes from getting creased.

Quote Originally Posted by zabadak View Post
    Kids on the naughty list get the best presents...
    Kids are like fresh cream cakes - they can be naughty, but otherwise they are nice.

Canada has Thanksgiving earlier in October and yet we got lumbered with all this black friday stuff as the friday after the U.S. Thanksgiving in late November. I'm surprised it's reached England. I wonder if they've been banging this same drum in continental Europe? Just never thought to ask the relatives in Holland... you should've seen their faces when we had some corn on the cob from the Kentucky Fried Chicken once when some were visiting... that's something they would feed to pigs!

Halloween when I was little was more of a mummers affair over here... old clothes, sheets, straw and blackend faces, bonfires and crackers, not trademarked and copyrighted ready-made costumes from large entertainment corporations. Nobody went as anything, you made something up. We had the jack o' lanterns, candy apples, popcorn balls. Slowly we started seeing Star Wars characters and Disney Princesses door to door. Also more adults started making a big adult thing of it with elaborate Vampires and Zombies outfits and theme parties, loads of decorations... I find that quite a strange trend.
    My virtual jigsaws: https://www.jigsawplanet.com/beccabear67/Original-photo-puzzles