Christmas Day TV 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christmas Day TV 2019

As Wednesday is regarded as the most ordinary day of the week, I am looking forward to Christmas Day as a result as it will fall on that day.

Highlights either side of Christmas Day include the new version of Worzel Gummidge, and Dr Hannah Fry becoming the first woman to do a Mathematics themed series of Christmas lectures for the Royal Institution on BBC Four.

Now that the Christmas Day television schedules have now appeared on Digiguide (and hopefully they will also appear in the TV listings magazines in the shops very shortly), I thought I would have a look at the highlights of what I think would be worth watching on Christmas Day. I wouldn't be able to watch all of them myself as they do clash with what is on other channels of course. For the record, I have Sky Digital, an incumbent TV Licence, and something to record them on. (Sky Digital channel numbers in brackets).

BREAKFAST - BBC ONE (101) - 6.00 AM

Nothing really to add, but no doubt that Pope Francis, Justin Welby and the Queen will be mentioned in the news. I prefered it when BBC One used to have children's television in this slot.

MOOMINVALLEY - SKY ONE (106) - 6.00 AM

Those Finnish "George-out-of-Rainbow" lookalike creatures which were based on the books by Tove Jansson are revived for Sky One - a double bill here. Does anyone remember the Moomins Children's ITV series from the mid 1980s, shown around 4.10 pm after the lunchtime repeat of whatever was on?

IT'S CHRISTMAS LIVE [sic] FROM THE ROYAL ALBERT HALL - SKY ONE (106) - 7.00 AM

A live perforrmance which is apparently a repeat - or is it that an oxymoron - "recorded live"? Chrissie Hynde, the Vamps and Holly Johnson perform. A better alternative to the BBC One's Breakfast and the cartoons on most other channels.

THE TWO RONNIES - GOLD (110) - 7.35 AM

And it's a Merry Christmas from me - and a Merry Christmas from him. In addition to Barbara Dickson, it does also seem to have a cameo from Jenny Logan, famous at the time for appearing in the Shake 'n' Vac adverts.

CAROLS FROM KING'S - BBC 2 (102) - 8.40 AM

A repeat of the Christmas Eve broadcast, shown a bit earlier this year. Mind you, I don't think that I would be able to tell apart this year's from last year's, or the year before for that matter.

DISNEY'S A CHRISTMAS CAROL - ITV (103) - 9.25 AM

Disney uptake on the traditional Charles Dickens book. At least one can look at 9.25 am on a Wednesday morning and be thankful that Jeremy Kyle will never have be seen in this slot again. This Morning also gets a day off as well!

CHRISTMAS DAY MASS - BBC ONE (101) - 10.00 AM

It is truly refreshing not to see Homes Under the Hammer at 10.00 am on a Wednesday morning for once! If I cannot be bothered to get myself down to one of the local churches, I might just stay in and watch this. They are at St Joseph's Catholic Church in Bradford this year.

CAROLS AT CHRISTMAS - CHANNEL 5 (105) - 10.50 AM

Songs of Praise a la Channel 5, perhaps? Aled Jones and Josie D'Arby present two hours of favourite Christmas carols from different choirs, including Only Men Aloud (well, Girls Aloud couldn't, thank goodness).

WALLACE AND GROMIT: A CLOSE SHAVE - BBC ONE (101) - 11.00 AM

Ironically enough, I have asked for a Philips wet and dry electric shaver from Boots for Christmas in order to try control my own facial hair (something that Father Christmas himself could also do with), and so this is rather apt for Christmas Day this year. (A similar irony was made back in 1986 when I had got a Petite typewriter for Christmas - and Reet Petite by Jackie Wilson was the Christmas number one!)

ONLY WHEN I LAUGH - ITV 4 (120) - 11.30 AM

I have always said that hospitals and doctors make great comedy subjects, and Only When I Laugh is no exception. This Christmas 1981 episode gets an outing here where the infamous three middle-aged men, Figgis, Binns, and Glover, who always seemed to be stuck in bed in a hospital ward, still managed to mark the festive season. Anyone who enjoys this should also enjoy Carry On Again Doctor on ITV 3.

TOP OF THE POPS - BBC ONE (101) - 11.35 AM

Or "Top of the Pops: 1982 Big Hits" as it says on Digiguide which feels more like a BBC Four title, and as Top of the Pops on BBC One usually focuses on the incumbent year, one wonders why 1982 is referred to? A couple of years ago, this could have easily been renamed as the Ed Sheeran Show.

Continued in the next post.
    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Re: Christmas Day TV 2019

Continued from the previous post.

MERRY CHRISTMAS, MR BEAN - ITV 4 (120) - 12.00 PM

Mr Bean goes Christmas shopping and gets a rather big Christmas tree; does his own take of the nativity scene in a department store; does a bit of pilanttrophy for the Salvation Army; and literally gets the turkey on. Does anyone remember Mr Bean's Diary which was in the bookshops at the same time as this was first seen?

CARRY ON AGAIN, DOCTOR - ITV 3 (119) - 12.10 PM

My favourite Carry On film of all time gets a Christmas Day slot - Jimmy Nookey (Jim Dale) fuses the X-Ray machine and the hospital goes into chaos as well (which appeared in the 1980s opening titles of Carry on Laughing), while Valerie Leon in her short striped late 1960s dress as secretary Deirdre is a must watch as well - in fact, I very nearly ruined my VHS copy by repeatedly pausing the tape at the moment when she was on!

FATHER CHRISTMAS - CHANNEL 4 (104) - 12.15 PM

Channel 4 wouldn't be Channel 4 at Christmas without showing this - I got to tape it when it premiered in 1991.

THE CHRISTMAS LETTER - SKY ONE (106) - 12.30 PM

Kate Winslet tells the animated story of Christmas-mad Henry who tries to bring some happiness into an elderly woman's life.

THE SNOWMAN - CHANNEL 4 (104) - 12.45 PM

Tradition with a capital T - and it wasn't Aled Jones but Peter Auty who did the honours (but I bet that Jones got the royalties all the same).

NEIGHBOURS - CHANNEL 5 (105) - 12.50 PM

Thankfully, Christmas is implicated in the storyline - I say that because when Australian soaps are seen at Christmas, the probability is that they are not. At least Home and Away has been given a Christmas break which means no more Raffy Morrison for at least six weeks.

THE SNOWMAN AND THE SNOWDOG - CHANNEL 4 (104) - 1.20 PM

A relatively recent newcomer compared to the other two, but it is already a tradition.

CORONATION STREET AT CHRISTMAS - ITV (103) - 2.00 PM

I suppose that the tradition officially started in 1987 when Hilda Ogden hung up her curlers and bid farewell to both number 13 and her cleaning job at the Rovers. When I saw the pre-Queen scheduling, it reminded me of the 1991 Christmas Day episode, (seen on ITV 3 earlier on this year), where the programme literally linked into the Queen's message as if it was live.

THE ALTERNATIVE CHRISTMAS MESSAGE - CHANNEL 4 (104) - 2.25 PM

I wonder who it could be this year? Some poignant ones have been made in recent years, while some controversal ones have also been made as well.

THE QUEEN'S CHRISTMAS MESSAGE - BBC ONE, ITV, AND SKY ONE (101, 103 AND 106) - 3.00 PM

Queen Elizabeth II does her annual seven or eight minute stint looking back on the year just like she has done so since the 1950s. No, I don't think she will mention that Prince Andrew conterovesy, thank goodness. I shall be pouring the Harveys Bristol Cream into a glass and drinking a toast to Her Majesty afterwards.

SHREK THE HALLS - ITV (103) - 3.10 PM

Half an hour animation (I always think that a two hour film works well in the post-Queen slot), and in the cast, it also has the most famous living person on the planet to actually share my birthday - Cameron Diaz.

OLIVER! - CHANNEL 5 (105) - 3.10 PM

I will be considering myself at home, but whether I would want some more of Max Bygraves' favourite musiical is yet to be decided. Although together now: "you've gotta pick a pocket or two"...

CARRY ON MATRON - ITV 3 (119) - 3.45 PM

Another great Carry On fillm based on the hosptal theme. A man dresses like a nurse (and I don't mean a male orderly either) to get into Finisham Maternity Hospital and steal a supply of controceptives. "Haven't you made a mistake? - this is the gents", quoth Dr Prodd, aka Terry "...and June" Scott.

STRICTLY COME DANCING - BBC ONE (101) - 4.40 PM

I still half-expect Brucie to appear even it's been over two years since he left us. We have here the 2010s answer to Christmas Night with the Stars or the Generation Game - it's obviously pre-recorded in advance if Craig Revel Horwood makes an appearance because he is actually appearing in Snow White at the Manchester Opera House.

CINDERELLA: AFTER EVERY AFTER - SKY ONE (106) - 5.00 PM

A modern take of the traditional fairy tale - Prince Charming happens to be an image-obsessed hip-hop husband! David Walliams (who more or less appeared in every other Christmas programme in 2016) stars.

CARRY ON CAMPING - ITV 3 (119) - 5.30 PM

Feels too much of a summer film to be shown on Christmas Day, but I think that the popularity of it does uphold a lot of interest. Sid James embarssingly asks Valerie Leon for a tube of toothpaste - probably the inspiration for that Mates condoms advert nearly 20 years later.

BRITAIN'S FAVOURITE CHRISTMAS SONGS - CHANNEL 5 (105) - 6.40 PM

Aimed at those who enjoy karaoke, no doubt. Noddy Holder and Roy Wood no doubt in evidence. Watch with sound turned down if you must.

THE MORECAMBE AND WISE CHRISTMAS SHOW - BBC TWO (102) - 7.00 PM

Looking back at their Christmas specials made in the 1970s, and guests such as Shirley Bassey, Andre Previn and Angela Rippon.

UNIVERSITY CHALLENGE - BBC TWO (102) - 8.00 PM

The first Jeremy to host a Christmas Day hame show this year invites celebrity university alumini for a game of general knowedge with a few A levels.

CORONATION STREET - ITV (103) - 8.00 PM

I try to avoid soap operas on Christmas Day as it feels as it feels like the opposite of being a break from the norm, but whatever happens, it won't be as remembered as the Christmas episodes seen on ITV 3. This year's storylines won't be a patch on Hilda Ogden taking her leave.

DOLLY PARTON: HERE I AM - BBC TWO (102) - 8.30 PM

She might have been famous for working 9 to 5, but here she she is at half-past eight on Christmas Day, giving it all she can.

THE GOOD LIFE - GOLD (110) - 8.40 PM

If you ever do a Rory Bremner-alike Richard Briers impression, always do try and do him saying: "here Margo, have the Telegraph". Just like the episode title, it was silly, but it was fun.

WHO WANTS TO BE A MILLIONAIRE? - ITV (103) - 9.00 PM

The second Jeremy to host a Christmas Day game show this year invites Mr and Mrs Public to answer questions and double their earnings on each correct answer.

CARRY ON DOCTOR - ITV 3 (119) - 9.00 PM

The first Doctor film in the Carry On series - I have prefered the second one, but at least this one has Frankie Howerd in it.

THE TWO RONNIES: THE UNSEEN SKETCHES - CHANNEL 5 (105) - 9.30 PM

Clips from their Australian series, and so therefore, they are unseen unless you happened to see them originally in Australia all those years ago.

MRS BROWN'S BOYS - BBC ONE (101) - 10.30 PM

Brendan O'Carroll in drag once again as that famous celtic woman whose accent slightly dilutes any profanity used. Kevin "Curly Watts" Kennedy makes a cameo.

TWO RONNIES SKETCHBOOK - BBC ONE (101) - 11.15 PM

While Gold has shown some old editions of the Two Ronnies, and Channel 5 has shown some unseen footage, here are some more sketches back on its traditional TV channel.

FOUR CHRISTMASES - ITV (103) - 11.40 PM

Possibly the perfect film to fall asleep over after such a busy and tiring day. If you are still awake, then try to count the "sale starts 10 am Boxing Day" adverts in the commercial breaks, giving yourself double points if they are for DFS.

ON CHRISTMAS NIGHT - BBC ONE (101) - 11.50 PM

A decendant of the old epilogue from a few decades ago, this is just as poignant as the Queen's message earlier on - a reading from the bible wraps up Christmas Day for 2019.

I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

I've still got my copy of Mr Bean's Diary.

I remember when BBC1 was way out of synch with Neighbours, & often their Christmas special was often shown at other times of the year.

Also they tended to be a bit weird because it would mark the start of a few weeks break for the cast & crew.
      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

The only telly i watch on christmas day is Alistair sim as scrooge and a film in the evening...usually an early night after a days boozing and scoffing
        Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

I hope that I have influenced you on what to watch on Christmas Day! - I have to admit that despite having the main TV listings magazines in front of me, there almost seem to be the odd half hour where one would flick between channels, probably because I haven't taken a good look at the schedules like I have done with starting this thread.

To summarise, I am looking forward to Carry On Again, Doctor, The Queen and Who Wants to be a Millionaire?
          I'm having so much fun
          My lucky number's one
          Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
            I've still got my copy of Mr Bean's Diary.
            I also got a copy of the diary, although I bought my own from WHSmith as I couldn't wait for Christmas when I asked it for a present! It wasn't like an Adrian Mole-type diary written by the author but a parody of a council diary with actual diary design, and Bean's (Atkinson's) handwriting on it, writing nonsense and various things placed on various places. I mentioned this on the Mr Bean thread which was bumped up earlier on this year. Do any councils actually have diaries with their name on them, or was this something that was made up for the Mr Bean publication? A member of my family actually thought it was a genuine diary with blank pages.

Home and Away was also like that when it was on ITV - it would have been a coincidence when a Christmas themed episode was shown in December, and so the probability was that it was seen in June or July when it was summer, although ironically enough it is summer when Australia celebrates Christmas!
            I'm having so much fun
            My lucky number's one
            Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

I remember 1 or 2 other spoof diaries around that time, I have a Red Dwarf one, & I have seen ones for Rene from Allo Allo & Dorian from Birds of a Feather.

I presume large customers like a council could order personalised diaries from an office supply company. Apart from the cover & a page or 2 of council specific pages it's just a standard diary inside.
              The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Not to mention Robin "Timewaster Letters" Cooper had one out as well.

I know that Pirongs do academic year (August to July) diaries (my school staff used them), and sometimes they had council logos on them. I suppose the need for academic year diaries was in addition to the year being August to July, but also it would otherwise mean that teachers, students and the like would otherwise need two diaries for that time frame.
                I'm having so much fun
                My lucky number's one
                Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Does anyone know when the Christmas 2019 editions of the Radio Times and TV Times are in the shops?
                  I'm having so much fun
                  My lucky number's one
                  Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Answering my own question...

The good old Christmas TV listings magazines have made it into the shops - I got myself a Christmas Total TV Guide, a Radio Times and a TV Times from a local WHSmith.
                    I'm having so much fun
                    My lucky number's one
                    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

I think there's a freebie in tomorrow's Daily Mail (if anyone hasn't had enough of Boris lately, lol!)
                      Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Originally posted by zabadak View Post
                        I think there's a freebie in tomorrow's Daily Mail (if anyone hasn't had enough of Boris lately, lol!)
                        I was watching the Good Morning Britain election programme, and that Daily Mail Christmas TV Guide advert was in the ad break - I had noticed the mistakes made in the advert: the Queen's Christmas Message is mentioned in the Channel 4 column when a page from the TV guide is seen onscreen.
                        I'm having so much fun
                        My lucky number's one
                        Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Working...
                        X