Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Films given a different rating by the local town council than by the BBFC

Default Re: Films given a different rating by the local town council than by the BBFC

Talking about Carry On films, wasn't there some controversy with regards to Carry On Emmanuelle being released in cinemas?
    Telling it almost exactly like it was so many years later - and proud of doing so!

Default Re: Films given a different rating by the local town council than by the BBFC

Quote Originally Posted by George 1978 View Post
    Talking about Carry On films, wasn't there some controversy with regards to Carry On Emmanuelle being released in cinemas?
    Probably because of the name, I've never seen it but I imagine it was no where as explicit as Emmanuelle was.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Quote Originally Posted by George 1978 View Post
    There were censorship difficulties with 'Psycho' on both sides of the Atlantic but I won't discuss it in too much detail as we musn't delve too much into the 60's in this thread.

'Carry on Emmanuelle' was passed with a AA (14 years and upward) certificate without cuts.
    'Emmanuelle' was passed with an X (18 years and upward) certificate with cuts but might be available completely uncut now, I'm not sure.
    "The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the universe and everything is .....42"

The Confessions films which starred Robin Askwith also come to mind - the TV listing guides gave them an 18 certificate when Channel 5 and Paramount shown them. Not surprisingly, there are shots of bare bottoms and even a "page three" angle of breasts seen in one of them. But I am certain that they made it into local cinemas when they were first released.
    Telling it almost exactly like it was so many years later - and proud of doing so!

I remember when 'Scum' was shown on terrestrial TV for the first time, on Channel 4 to be precise. I didn't see it then, I'm glad I didn't as I was only in my early teens at the time. It was reported in the Daily Mail newspaper that Mary Whitehouse had been up in arms about it. I remember a group of boys at the school bus stop expressing their sheer amazement at seeing 'bumming' shown on the small screen (they were referring to the homosexual rape scene). No-one was accustomed to seeing such things shown on TV in the early 80's.
    "The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the universe and everything is .....42"

The Norman Wisdom film What's Good for the Goose? I believe could also fit within that bracket - in fact, most Channel 5 films shown on Friday nights in around 1997-1998. Sally (or was it Judy?) Geeson appeared and I think that there was a "topless" scene in that as well.

Channel 5 used to show some of Sylvia Kristel's films as well - I don't think any film reels with her on them has ever made it inside a cinema.

The first two films I can distinctly remember watching in the cinema were a double bill of two Monty Python films, 'And Now For Something Completely Different' & 'The Holy Grail'. Both films must have been A-rated back then for my parents to have taken me to see them, but the copy of 'Holy Grail' which I have on DVD is rated '15'. There is a certain amount of gory slapstick violence in it, but due to the frivolous nature of the film very few children would be likely to be disturbed by it.

I think there used to be a loophole for showing films either banned or X rated in a private members club.

Some "art house" cinemas would claim to be a film society & charge a membership fee for viewers to watch films not screened at the mainstream cinemas.

I've got the feeling the "butchered" version of Caligula was screened this way, as Penthouse temporarily leased some cinemas just for it's theatrical run, probably charging a membership to get round the usual restrictions.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Quote Originally Posted by philipdalton View Post
    I remember when 'Scum' was shown on terrestrial TV for the first time, on Channel 4 to be precise. I didn't see it then, I'm glad I didn't as I was only in my early teens at the time. It was reported in the Daily Mail newspaper that Mary Whitehouse had been up in arms about it. I remember a group of boys at the school bus stop expressing their sheer amazement at seeing 'bumming' shown on the small screen (they were referring to the homosexual rape scene). No-one was accustomed to seeing such things shown on TV in the early 80's.
    I remember watching some of Scum but i turned it off, not my kind of film, i was mainly curious.

Curiosity often gets the better of us when we watch films.