No announcement yet.

Films given a different rating by the local town council than by the BBFC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Films given a different rating by the local town council than by the BBFC

Originally posted by philipdalton View Post
    Does anyone remember when Prince Andrew was dating Koo Stark?
    That film that she starred in called 'Emily' was actually refused a certificate by the BBFC. Whether it was ever shown anywhere in Britain or not, I've no idea.
    Makes a change from Budgie the Little Helicopter, I suppose. Was Stark playing the title role?
    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
      Makes a change from Budgie the Little Helicopter, I suppose. Was Stark playing the title role?
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emily_(film)
      "The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the universe and everything is .....42"

Comment

I would be surprised if the Jaws films were a PG (the post 1982 certificate) when they are released.
        I'm having so much fun
        My lucky number's one
        Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

I would be surprised if the Jaws films were a PG (the post 1982 certificate) when they are released.
          It's always puzzled me that 'Jaws-The Revenge' is a 15 (or at least was at the time of its release) when all the previous films in the 'Jaws' franchise were released with a lower rating.
          The copy of the first film which I have has a '12' rating but apparently this is only due to a couple of four-letter words used in the additional material on the DVD.
          The Daily Mail film critic Christopher Tookey has written that 'Jurassic Park' would have been an X film in the 50's and 60's, the same is probably true of the 'Jaws' movies. In 1975 the standards had been lowered considerably. Apparently 'Monty Python & the Holy Grail' would initially have been an X if certain alterations hadn't been made to the script.
          "The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the universe and everything is .....42"

Comment

I used to think as a child that the Jaws films was really scary for obvious reasons, and I would have categorised it as an adult film, even thought it was shown pre-watershed. ITV used to show it on Saturday evenings, around 8.00 pm or just before that.

On the last day of school where I in Year 9 (where my year were 13 or 14) the film Jaws the Revenge was shown to our year when we all got together in one of the bigger classrooms to watch it on a TV screen - interesting that it would have been a 15 then.
            I'm having so much fun
            My lucky number's one
            Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

As far as I know, only one of the James Bond films has ever got a '15' from the BBFC so far, it was that one with Timothy Dalton in it (no relation, sorry) called 'Licence to Kill'. If it hadn't been trimmed down a bit it would've got an '18' certificate, which would indeed be a major no-no for 007.
              Yeah, a guy gets put through a big chopper in one scene and in another Felix leiter gets his feet chewed off by a shark, incidentally he reappears in later bond films "double footed"
              Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

Originally posted by tex View Post
                Yeah, a guy gets put through a big chopper in one scene and in another Felix leiter gets his feet chewed off by a shark, incidentally he reappears in later bond films "double footed"
                Well, films aren't real, you see, and if you lose your foot in one it's usually still intact in another, unless it's a sequel, although in the case of Bond films, I suppose you could say they are sequels. It could be someone with the special ability to grow another foot.
                Incidentally, has anyone ever heard of that film called 'Snuff', made in the 70's, which contains a murder scene at the end which is so graphic many actually thought it was really happening?
                Last edited by philipdalton; 18-01-2020, 12:13.

Comment

Yes, I did believe that most films were fictitious.

Never heard of Snuff.
                  I'm having so much fun
                  My lucky number's one
                  Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

I used to think as a child that the Jaws films was really scary for obvious reasons, and I would have categorised it as an adult film, even thought it was shown pre-watershed. ITV used to show it on Saturday evenings, around 8.00 pm or just before that.

On the last day of school where I in Year 9 (where my year were 13 or 14) the film Jaws the Revenge was shown to our year when we all got together in one of the bigger classrooms to watch it on a TV screen - interesting that it would have been a 15 then.
                    It is actually quite common for sequels to be rated differently from their predecessors, and this can sometimes make it difficult for youngsters to pick up the story of a sequel to a film they had not been allowed to see. The first 'Young Guns' film, starring Emilio Estevez as Billy the Kid, was released with an '18' rating, whereas its sequel, 'Young Guns 2-Blaze of Glory' was released in cinemas as a '12'.

Comment

Originally posted by tex View Post
                      Yeah, a guy gets put through a big chopper in one scene
                      Quite a bit of sexual content, I note.
                      I'm having so much fun
                      My lucky number's one
                      Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

It is actually quite common for sequels to be rated differently from their predecessors, and this can sometimes make it difficult for youngsters to pick up the story of a sequel to a film they had not been allowed to see. The first 'Young Guns' film, starring Emilio Estevez as Billy the Kid, was released with an '18' rating, whereas its sequel, 'Young Guns 2-Blaze of Glory' was released in cinemas as a '12'.
                        Interesting, but slightly surprising - I suppose that Carry On Emmanuelle is a fine example of that - one cannot imagine early Carry On films rated as the pre-1982 equivalent of a 15, even if there is the odd flash of Barbara Windsor's breasts or Valerie Leon's knickers.
                        I'm having so much fun
                        My lucky number's one
                        Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

I mentioned Don't Look Now when I started that thread last year, and despite it being a post-1982 BBFC certificate of 15, we saw it in school when most of the class was only 14.
                          I'm having so much fun
                          My lucky number's one
                          Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

I mentioned Don't Look Now when I started that thread last year, and despite it being a post-1982 BBFC certificate of 15, we saw it in school when most of the class was only 14.
                            'Don't Look Now' was certainly an X film at the time of its release, there was actually some speculation as to whether or not the sex scene in it was real.

Comment

Working...
                            X