Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Films given a different rating by the local town council than by the BBFC

Default Re: Films given a different rating by the local town council than by the BBFC

Quote Originally Posted by philipdalton View Post
    As far as I know, only one of the James Bond films has ever got a '15' from the BBFC so far, it was that one with Timothy Dalton in it (no relation, sorry) called 'Licence to Kill'. If it hadn't been trimmed down a bit it would've got an '18' certificate, which would indeed be a major no-no for 007.
    Yeah, a guy gets put through a big chopper in one scene and in another Felix leiter gets his feet chewed off by a shark, incidentally he reappears in later bond films "double footed"
    My teeth itch and my hair is scratchy

Default Re: Films given a different rating by the local town council than by the BBFC

Quote Originally Posted by tex View Post
    Yeah, a guy gets put through a big chopper in one scene and in another Felix leiter gets his feet chewed off by a shark, incidentally he reappears in later bond films "double footed"
    Well, films aren't real, you see, and if you lose your foot in one it's usually still intact in another, unless it's a sequel, although in the case of Bond films, I suppose you could say they are sequels. It could be someone with the special ability to grow another foot.
    Incidentally, has anyone ever heard of that film called 'Snuff', made in the 70's, which contains a murder scene at the end which is so graphic many actually thought it was really happening?
    Last edited by philipdalton; 18-01-2020 at 12:13.
    "The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the universe and everything is .....42"

Yes, I did believe that most films were fictitious.

Never heard of Snuff.
    Telling it almost exactly like it was so many years later - and proud of doing so!

Quote Originally Posted by George 1978 View Post
    I used to think as a child that the Jaws films was really scary for obvious reasons, and I would have categorised it as an adult film, even thought it was shown pre-watershed. ITV used to show it on Saturday evenings, around 8.00 pm or just before that.

On the last day of school where I in Year 9 (where my year were 13 or 14) the film Jaws the Revenge was shown to our year when we all got together in one of the bigger classrooms to watch it on a TV screen - interesting that it would have been a 15 then.
    It is actually quite common for sequels to be rated differently from their predecessors, and this can sometimes make it difficult for youngsters to pick up the story of a sequel to a film they had not been allowed to see. The first 'Young Guns' film, starring Emilio Estevez as Billy the Kid, was released with an '18' rating, whereas its sequel, 'Young Guns 2-Blaze of Glory' was released in cinemas as a '12'.
    "The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the universe and everything is .....42"

Quote Originally Posted by tex View Post
    Yeah, a guy gets put through a big chopper in one scene
    Quite a bit of sexual content, I note.
    Telling it almost exactly like it was so many years later - and proud of doing so!

Quote Originally Posted by philipdalton View Post
    It is actually quite common for sequels to be rated differently from their predecessors, and this can sometimes make it difficult for youngsters to pick up the story of a sequel to a film they had not been allowed to see. The first 'Young Guns' film, starring Emilio Estevez as Billy the Kid, was released with an '18' rating, whereas its sequel, 'Young Guns 2-Blaze of Glory' was released in cinemas as a '12'.
    Interesting, but slightly surprising - I suppose that Carry On Emmanuelle is a fine example of that - one cannot imagine early Carry On films rated as the pre-1982 equivalent of a 15, even if there is the odd flash of Barbara Windsor's breasts or Valerie Leon's knickers.

I mentioned Don't Look Now when I started that thread last year, and despite it being a post-1982 BBFC certificate of 15, we saw it in school when most of the class was only 14.

Quote Originally Posted by George 1978 View Post
    I mentioned Don't Look Now when I started that thread last year, and despite it being a post-1982 BBFC certificate of 15, we saw it in school when most of the class was only 14.
    'Don't Look Now' was certainly an X film at the time of its release, there was actually some speculation as to whether or not the sex scene in it was real.