Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Films given a different rating by the local town council than by the BBFC

Default Re: Films given a different rating by the local town council than by the BBFC

The 12 rating was brought in to fill the gap between PG & 15, just like in the USA PG13 was introduced after some 1980s films pushed the PG rating to the limit.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Default Re: Films given a different rating by the local town council than by the BBFC

Quote Originally Posted by Richard1978 View Post
    The 12 rating was brought in to fill the gap between PG & 15, just like in the USA PG13 was introduced after some 1980s films pushed the PG rating to the limit.
    The film that brought P.G.-13 into existence was 'Indiana Jones & the Temple of Doom'. Steven Spielberg recommended that the MPAA introduced this rating in response to complaints about some of the more violent scenes in the film. It's interesting to note that, since there was no such thing as a '12' rating at the time of the film's release in Britain, it had to be cut in order to avoid a '15' certificate. However, now the uncut version of the film has been awarded a '12'.

The first film in the Indiana Jones series, 'Raiders of the Lost Ark', got released in the UK with an A certificate in 1981, but I have a sneaking fancy that at least one or two town councils may have rated it something higher than that due to a brief but disturbing scene of violence in it. In this scene, blood is shown being spattered all over an aeroplane, suggesting that a man has been hacked to death by its propellers.
    "The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the universe and everything is .....42"

As far as I know, only one of the James Bond films has ever got a '15' from the BBFC so far, it was that one with Timothy Dalton in it (no relation, sorry) called 'Licence to Kill'. If it hadn't been trimmed down a bit it would've got an '18' certificate, which would indeed be a major no-no for 007.
    "The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the universe and everything is .....42"

Does anyone remember when Prince Andrew was dating Koo Stark?
    That film that she starred in called 'Emily' was actually refused a certificate by the BBFC. Whether it was ever shown anywhere in Britain or not, I've no idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard1978 View Post
    I have always thought that a 12 would be closer to a PG than a 15 for obvious reasons - I would have classified a 12 along with the lower U and PG category than in the more adult positions of 15 and 18.
    Telling it almost exactly like it was so many years later - and proud of doing so!

Quote Originally Posted by philipdalton View Post
    Does anyone remember when Prince Andrew was dating Koo Stark?
    That film that she starred in called 'Emily' was actually refused a certificate by the BBFC. Whether it was ever shown anywhere in Britain or not, I've no idea.
    Makes a change from Budgie the Little Helicopter, I suppose. Was Stark playing the title role?
    Telling it almost exactly like it was so many years later - and proud of doing so!

Quote Originally Posted by George 1978 View Post
    Makes a change from Budgie the Little Helicopter, I suppose. Was Stark playing the title role?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emily_(film)

I would be surprised if the Jaws films were a PG (the post 1982 certificate) when they are released.

Quote Originally Posted by George 1978 View Post
    I would be surprised if the Jaws films were a PG (the post 1982 certificate) when they are released.
    It's always puzzled me that 'Jaws-The Revenge' is a 15 (or at least was at the time of its release) when all the previous films in the 'Jaws' franchise were released with a lower rating.
    The copy of the first film which I have has a '12' rating but apparently this is only due to a couple of four-letter words used in the additional material on the DVD.
    The Daily Mail film critic Christopher Tookey has written that 'Jurassic Park' would have been an X film in the 50's and 60's, the same is probably true of the 'Jaws' movies. In 1975 the standards had been lowered considerably. Apparently 'Monty Python & the Holy Grail' would initially have been an X if certain alterations hadn't been made to the script.

I used to think as a child that the Jaws films was really scary for obvious reasons, and I would have categorised it as an adult film, even thought it was shown pre-watershed. ITV used to show it on Saturday evenings, around 8.00 pm or just before that.

On the last day of school where I in Year 9 (where my year were 13 or 14) the film Jaws the Revenge was shown to our year when we all got together in one of the bigger classrooms to watch it on a TV screen - interesting that it would have been a 15 then.