Eurovision song contest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Eurovision song contest

He won again, this time as composer, in 1992!

Attached Files
    Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

A few years ago I found at a library sale a CD of German Eurovision hits from 1958 to 1983. I particularly like this one from 1978 by Irene Sheer.

Comment

Growing up in the 70s and into the 80s and 90s I would watch Eurovision and generally enjoy it. Later on, I would view it for Terry Wogan's wonderful commentary and scoring--the interactions between presenter and each scoring panel representative could be very funny. Since Terry Wogan's departure from Eurovision I haven't bothered watching.

Comment

Originally posted by Twocky61 View Post
          Now the uk has opted out of the EU will we still have to endure the Eurovision Song Contest?
          Firstly, the UK is currently still a member of the European Union (EU), and will remain a member for some time yet. If the Government goes ahead with the Brexit (and, so I read on various media sources the last couple of months the June Referendum result is not legally binding), it will take at least two years to get out of the EU, including invoking Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty. Again from what I can gather I have a vague inkling the other EU countries could block that.

If and when the UK does eventually leave the EU, the UK will still be able to participate in the Eurovision Song Contest. The BBC will still be a member of the European Broadcasting Union (EBU), which is a separate organisation to, and (to the best of my knowledge) has no connections with the EU.

Several countries which took part in this year's Eurovision Song Contest are not EU members, but have broadcasters which are active EBU members: Albania, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Bosnia & Herzegovina, F.Y.R. Macedonia, Georgia, Iceland, Israel, Moldova, Montenegro, Norway, Russia, San Marino, Serbia, Switzerland, Ukraine.

Australia, which is an associate member of the EBU, also took part but I think they required a special invitation to be able to enter.
          I am 13 ... times 4.

Comment

it will take at least two years to get out of the EU

Almost - there is a two-year limit
            Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

its strange no longer seeing terry wogan doing it.

In some ways im surprised its still going.

Too many countries vote for other countries just because theyre beside eachother or does this still go on.
              FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

not watched in decades, its a politcal farce and perpetrated by a commie BBC.

Comment

The only reason I would occasionally watch it was for Terry Wogan's wonderfully entertaining commentary. I haven't been tempted at all to tune in since he stopped working on the show, and after his sad death and obviously no chance of his resuming duties, the likelihood of me viewing it again is extremely low. Even my wife, who used to watch it every year, has now abandoned it.

Comment

Most of those obscure countries promote nepotism

Incest is the name of the game
                    sigpic
                    Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

Terry Wogan used to have a lot of fun over countries always voting for each other, but I think it also got to him a bit over the years.

Comment

Poor Terry Wogan having to host Eurovision; he could do much better than that. He was wasting his talent there
                        sigpic
                        Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

So we have reached that time of year again - this year, it is hosted in Israel (cf Dana International and Milk and Honey). The last time the UK hosted, Israel won, so I wonder whether it could be the other way round?

Graham Norton would never replace Wogan completely, and I am far too young to remember when Aspel, Pete Murray or David Jacobs doing the commentary - I believe that Tom Fleming (who was more used to doing Royal Family commentary also did a stint circa 1972). And I really miss Colin Berry announcing the UK results in his traditional BBC way (his last stint was the year before Jemini, lest we forget), but I have always accepted Rylan Clark-Neal in anything that he has done, and I shall look forward to his stint announcing the results.

I am looking forward to various countries performing this year such as the Czech Republic (love the video if not the song), Germany (ditto) and Norway - I have done my homework already viewing the relevant YouTube clips. It maybe the trainspotting of music programmes, but when it comes to our "divorce" from a political perspective at this moment in time, I do believe that we need to keep a grip on anything that keeps us linked to continental Europe. I am usually "biased" towards Scandinavian or Baltic countries in the recent past, but I don't care - lots of people have unusual hobbies these days!

And I believe that this year's FA Cup final will uphold enough interest on BBC 1 from a ratings perspective for the contest, just like the FA Cup did for last year's Royal Wedding - I have found that a strong schedule with two unrelated annual events that are so close to each other can really help in the ratings. I don't support Manchester City or Watford, but I would probably watch the FA Cup by virtue of the close scheduling of the Eurovision Song Contest.

In a nutshell, I am hoping that the UK total will be in three figures at the end of the day (i.e. well over 100 points) even though we are no longer in Bucks Fizz or Katrina and the Waves territory anymore. As winning entries almost get telephone number-sized totals in points thanks to jury and telephone votes, it is a lot more competitive than ever these days.

Best wishes to Michael Rice and I hope that he does us proud!
                          I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
                          There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
                          I'm having so much fun
                          My lucky number's one
                          Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

I seem to be the only person who watched it...
                            I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
                            There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
                            I'm having so much fun
                            My lucky number's one
                            Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Not watched it in years. Well not since the 80's.

Comment

I didn't realise it was on until last night when my wife mentioned it. As per usual I didn't bother watching it. I popped my head into the lounge to see that my wife had switched to another channel. It has really far less to do with song quality than just voting for favoured countries, though it has been like that for a long time. At least Terry Wogan's barbed commentary made it amusing, but now there is absolutely nothing that would make me tune in.

Comment

Working...
                                X