Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Eurovision song contest

Originally posted by battyrat View Post
    Not watched it in years. Well not since the 80's.
    I won't ask the reason why...

No, I am surprised as it had been mentioned everywhere and everyone. Mind you, in a Brexit-alike way, I wouldn't blame the BBC if they refrained from submitting an entry next year or any future years for that matter, but would still do the voting and would otherwise have an "outsider's" perspective of the contest. The UK was successful in the 20th century and not so in the 21st, while with Norway and some other countries, it was the other way round.

For a moment, I actually thought that Manchester City's goals earlier on would have outnumbered the points that Rice would have received.
    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

I watched the scoring session only and avoided listening to the music, as I find it absolute rubbish. For the UK things were not looking too bad as we were 3rd from bottom! Then at the final stage of scoring a new score system was introduced in which peoples' votes were included. UK ended up in last place. Surely we've learnt our lesson.

Comment

One thing that irks me a bit is having israel and australia in it.

Only euro countries in a eurovision song contest.
        one thing i did notice is
        you have more than just each jury voting between 1 and 12 points.

Did i see right or was there something called a public vote.

When did that come in.
        FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Morocco was in the 1980 competition and they were obviously the wrong side of the Mediterranean to be in Europe.

This year's contest has comparisons with 1979-1980 - in 1979 Israel hosted it and won it but due to the cost and the 1980 ESC being on a Remembrance Day, they defend their title the following year. The 1980s contest was hosted by the Netherlands who came 12th the year before. It is ironic then that the final contest of this decade is hosted by Israel and next year will be hosted by the Netherlands - just like the final year of the 1970s and the first year of the 1980s.
          I'm having so much fun
          My lucky number's one
          Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
            Morocco was in the 1980 competition and they were obviously the wrong side of the Mediterranean to be in Europe.

This year's contest has comparisons with 1979-1980 - in 1979 Israel hosted it and won it but due to the cost and the 1980 ESC being on a Remembrance Day, they defend their title the following year. The 1980s contest was hosted by the Netherlands who came 12th the year before. It is ironic then that the final contest of this decade is hosted by Israel and next year will be hosted by the Netherlands - just like the final year of the 1970s and the first year of the 1980s.
            I guess that means Ireland will win next year, as I'm pretty sure Johnny Logan won in 1980, perhaps my earliest Eurovision memory.

Comment

Originally posted by Clare View Post
              I guess that means Ireland will win next year, as I'm pretty sure Johnny Logan won in 1980, perhaps my earliest Eurovision memory.
              And perhaps the UK can win the year after? One can only hope.
              I'm having so much fun
              My lucky number's one
              Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Amazing that the UK had 16 points last Saturday, and now we just have 11.
                I'm having so much fun
                My lucky number's one
                Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
                  Amazing that the UK had 16 points last Saturday, and now we just have 11.
                  At this rate, we'll have nul again by next week!
                  Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Amazing that we associated Rice with being poor...
                    I'm having so much fun
                    My lucky number's one
                    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Good luck to James Newman - again!

Looking forward to Germany and Moldova this year (Big Five country and second Semi Final victor) - interesting how many points they will get on Saturday night.

I'm having so much fun
                      My lucky number's one
                      Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Last time I watched it ABBA won.
                        Right pwoper songs in those days guv!

Comment

Originally posted by W1 Rover View Post
                          Last time I watched it ABBA won.
                          Right proper songs in those days guv!
                          Showing your age - the irony is that the UK didn't give Sweden a single point back then.

The UK won in 1976 with Brotherhood of Man, but Buck's Fizz won in 1981.

I sometimes like to think that I am watching one of the many European satellite channels on Sky when I watch it - more exciting...
                          I'm having so much fun
                          My lucky number's one
                          Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Don’t fancy our chances again this year, I’m going with the favourite Malta to win

Comment

I watched the Rotterdam 20201 show the other night; too much choreography and stage effects for me. So many imitative photogenic ladies in sparkly costumes without any great voices... we have more than enough of these today, so I thought of the finalists the guy from Portugal should be the ultimate winner and the Iceland group runner-up. Eastern Europe seems awash in copycat pop and I think Kylie Minogue perfected that whole thing ages ago.
                              My virtual jigsaws: https://www.jigsawplanet.com/beccabear67/Original-photo-puzzles

Comment

I sometimes think of the Eurovision song contest as being a little bit like the FA cup. Back in the day the latter was percieved as being quite an event, unlike the comparatively nondescript occasion it is now. you'd switch the box on in the morning and there'd be live coverage before kick off, brief interviews with fans on their way to Wembley, the players getting ready etc, a real sense of building up the atmosphere before the game. To some extent Eurovision was similar, there was more of a feeling of anticipation if memory serves me well. TV was largely a more collective experience anyway, with only two or three channels at your disposal and no internet hardly surprising!

Comment

Working...
                                X