Looking back on 2019 and the 2010s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking back on 2019 and the 2010s

As we all know, not only are we reaching the end of another year, but we are also reaching the end of another decade - a decade which I think will associated with leaving the European Union. I would say that "Brexit" will be the word of the decade - a word that was hardly even coined up at the start of the decade.

I know that there is a lot of negative news events that I have chosen, not to mention a lot of political and Royal Family related stuff, but I think that is it that was stands out when one looks back on a year, a decade, or another period of time. At this time of year, when people are about to celebrate Christmas, one tends to feel that one needs to relate to everything that happened in the past year, and link to it. Personally, I have had my own mix of misfortunes this year, but I did enjoy staying in Bournemouth, having a hotel room overlooking the English Channel, and watching Fame the Musical at the Pavilion Theatre on my birthday - escapism is that most people would actually call it.

Looking back, if I could choose three different things associated with each year, these are the events that I believe would sum up each of the years in the 2010s - these are listed in prominence of how I think shaped the year in question:

1) David Cameron winning the General Election to become Prime Minister and the start of the Coalition government with the Liberal Democrats
    2) Pope Benedict visiting the United Kingdom
    3) The killings which were committed individually by Derrick Bird and Raoul Moat

1) The Royal Wedding of Prince William, Duke of Cambridge and Catherine Middleton
    2) The riots in London and across England, caused by the shooting of Mark Duggan
    3) The News of the World closing down as a result of the phone-hacking scandal

1) The Queen's Diamond Jubilee celebrations
    2) The London Olympics and Paralympics
    3) Trenton Oldfield disrupting the Oxford and Cambridge Boat Race

1) The birth of Prince George, son of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, and is third in line to the British throne
    2) The death of former Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher
    3) The horsemeat scandal

1) The first same sex weddings taking place in England and Wales
    2) The Referendum on Scottish independence
    3) Douglas Carswell winning the Clacton by-election for UKIP

1) David Cameron's second General Election win, and the Liberal Democrats losing most of their seats
    2) Jeremy Corbyn becoming leader of the Labour Party
    3) The birth of Princess Charlotte, the second child of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge

1) The EU Referendum and the majority of people voting Leave
    2) Theresa May replacing David Cameron as Prime Minister
    3) The murder of Jo Cox in her constituency

1) The Grenfell Tower fire
    2) The Manchester Arena Bomb attack
    3) The Westminster Bridge attack where PC Keith Palmer was killed

1) The Royal Wedding of Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex, and Meghan Markle (and also the Royal Wedding of Princess Eugenie as well)
    2) The birth of Prince Louis of Cambridge
    3) SuRie being interrupted by an intruder during the Eurovision Song Contest

1) Boris Johnson replacing Theresa May as Prime Minister
    2) The General Election, turning traditional Labour seats in the north to the Conservatives
    3) The birth of Archie Harrison, the son of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex

Other news highlights from 2019 include the following:

1) The Brexit deadline not happening twice
    2) The Duke of Edinburgh involved in a car crash on the Sandringham Estate
    3) The launch of the Independent Group aka Change UK
    4) The launch of the Brexit Party
    5) Danny Baker being fired from BBC Radio 5 Live for tweeting a picture of a chimpanzee
    6) The Jeremy Kyle Show being axed due to a guest committing suicide
    7) The Manchester Arndale Centre attacks
    8) The suspension of Parliament, and the House of Commons sitting for the first time on a Saturday since 1982
    9) Prince Andrew and the Jeffrey Epistein scandal
    10) The Thomas Cook travel agent company collapsing after 178 years in business

In addition to the news this year, I was very sorry to hear of the passing of various famous people, including: Windsor Davies; Gordon Banks; Doris Day; former police officer and broadcaster John Stalker; Freddie Starr; Brian Walden; horse racing pundit John McCririck; Joe Longthorne; Peter Sissons; the late Clive James; Gary Rhodes; and David Bellamy.

I think that what sums up 2019, and also the 2010s as a whole as far as I am concerned. What will you remember about this year and this decade, now that we are coming to the end of both of them? It's hard to believe that in less than a fortnight's time we will not only be in a new year but a new decade as well!

Now I have got all of this serious stuff written down at long least, I think that we all can concentrate on Christmas now...
    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Re: Looking back on 2019 and the 2010s

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
    I would say that "Brexit" will be the word of the decade - a word that was hardly even coined up at the start of the decade.
    Funny you should say that. There is an old edition of QI lurking in the archives (oft-shown on Dave, of course) which dates from the time when Greece were on the verge of leaving. The term for that was "Grexit", as we know, but Hugh Dennis remarked that, if we ever decided to leave, the word for our leaving would be "Brixit"! Hilarity ensued!
    Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

It's almost how "chav" was the word of the 2000s, and "Thatcherism" was the word of the 1980s.

The Sun was trying to do a triple portmanteau last week and coined the word "Brexmas" - "Britain", "Exit" and "Christmas".
      I'm having so much fun
      My lucky number's one
      Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
        It's almost how "chav" was the word of the 2000s, and "Thatcherism" was the word of the 1980s.

The Sun was trying to do

a triple portmanteau last week and coined the word "Brexmas" - "Britain", "Exit" and

"Christmas".
        Even Corbynism

Comment

Originally posted by amethyst View Post
          Even Corbynism
          Nice one - it made me think that I was so glad that Labour MP Reg Race never became a party leader as the equivalent word would be "Racism".
          I'm having so much fun
          My lucky number's one
          Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Working...
          X