Father Christmas in his sleigh visiting local streets on Christmas Eve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Father Christmas in his sleigh visiting local streets on Christmas Eve

Here is a nice Christmas thread for you - no, I haven't opened the Sherry just yet, but I thought I would share something magical with you:- Does anyone have a special Father Christmas sleigh vehicle travel down their local streets, probably on Christmas Eve or a day or two before it? I believe that it happened in the 1980s and perhaps a soupcon of the 1990s as well.

It did happen a couple of times I seem to remember - it was obviously dark when it happened, (post 5.00 pm, methinks), and the "sleigh" was probably a specially designed vehicle which would be travelling at no more than 15 mph - Father Christmas (along with one or two others on board) would wave to anyone looking out of the window and even families and kids would come out of their houses to wave, before the sleigh would move onto the next street.

I assumed that Father Christmas in reality was a council worker or church worker, and that the special event was done either by the council or the local church or something. It was really special and magical to see that as a child.

Did anyone get this on the street that they lived on, or have I actually gone raving mad at this time of year? I suppose that I am entitled to if that is the case...
    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Re: Father Christmas in his sleigh visiting local streets on Christmas Eve

This still happens in a few areas, certainly the local Rotary club near to my parents does the rounds in the run up to Christmas day.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I suppose it happens in more middle class areas (i.e. suburbs and villages), and also where local council tax is valued a lot more.
      I'm having so much fun
      My lucky number's one
      Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Thinking about it, I believe that the reason why you don't see it too often these days is because of the anti-social behaviour - kids throwing stones and things at the sleigh when it comes past, as well as red tape and bureaucracy.
        I'm having so much fun
        My lucky number's one
        Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Working...
        X