Going back to school after the Christmas holidays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going back to school after the Christmas holidays

The first Monday in January which isn't New Day's Day or a Bank Holiday, just like Monday 6th January - you have enjoyed two weeks off for Christmas and New Year, and then the Christmas decorations and tree comes down and goes back into the cupboard under the stairs or the loft. And all of a sudden, Monday arrives and things get back to normal - many years before Blue Monday was discovered.

Eight o'clock in the morning on Monday and my late father tells me at least five times to get up for school - something which I didn't want to go to today or any other day. Yes, I was probably over tired from watching Spitting Image and That's Life! on the previous evening when I had almost decided to forget that school was in the morning. For some reason, I just couldn't get out of bed, probably because it was too cold or just too normal. Christmas had not quite been forgotten as in 1986 I did give a girl in my class a Christmas card on the Monday after we went back as I forgot to give it to her prior to breaking up for Christmas.

The weather is horrible, cold and wet, but not traditional snow of course, and one has to get back into the routine of getting ready for school each weekday until half-term in around seven weeks' time. A bit like 6th January is this year - what I would call "Back to Normal Monday" and would otherwise compliment "Mad (formerly Black) Friday" - the Friday before Christmas (obviously renamed from Black Friday because of its double meaning of American-inspired sales in November). All the biscuits and Christmas food have been eaten and in many ways, it's as if Christmas has never happened at all.

I am certain that a lot of illnesses have coincided with that time of year in the past, and it does feel like an extension of the Christmas holidays. I just remember watching the schools programmes on the TV (as mentioned in another thread), or Radio 2 on the radio while in bed - 1989-1990 seems to spring to mind, having a stuffy nose and having Karvol to help me breathe. I am almost certain that that bureaucrat, the Education Welfare Officer was involved one year, probably that year. The days when being ill had its positive aspects!

Did it feel really depressing to go back to school after two weeks of enjoying yourself, especially when one thinks of the weather at the start of January?
    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Re: Going back to school after the Christmas holidays

I remember there were a few flu outbreaks in the late 1980s - early 90s around Christmas.

Coming back to school & even college after the holidays after Christmas holidays was very hard, often even worse than starting school in September.

My Mum always liked to get the decorations away as soon as she could, sometimes a day or 2 before 12th night. The lounge always seemed empty after having up for nearly a month.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Never was there a better time to get the flu - the Monday that one goes back to school after Christmas!
      I'm having so much fun
      My lucky number's one
      Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
        The first Monday in January which isn't New Day's Day or a Bank Holiday, just like Monday 6th January - you have enjoyed two weeks off for Christmas and New Year, and then the Christmas decorations and tree comes down and goes back into the cupboard under the stairs or the loft. And all of a sudden, Monday arrives and things get back to normal - many years before Blue Monday was discovered.

Eight o'clock in the morning on Monday and my late father tells me at least five times to get up for school - something which I didn't want to go to today or any other day. Yes, I was probably over tired from watching Spitting Image and That's Life! on the previous evening when I had almost decided to forget that school was in the morning. For some reason, I just couldn't get out of bed, probably because it was too cold or just too normal. Christmas had not quite been forgotten as in 1986 I did give a girl in my class a Christmas card on the Monday after we went back as I forgot to give it to her prior to breaking up for Christmas.

The weather is horrible, cold and wet, but not traditional snow of course, and one has to get back into the routine of getting ready for school each weekday until half-term in around seven weeks' time. A bit like 6th January is this year - what I would call "Back to Normal Monday" and would otherwise compliment "Mad (formerly Black) Friday" - the Friday before Christmas (obviously renamed from Black Friday because of its double meaning of American-inspired sales in November). All the biscuits and Christmas food have been eaten and in many ways, it's as if Christmas has never happened at all.

I am certain that a lot of illnesses have coincided with that time of year in the past, and it does feel like an extension of the Christmas holidays. I just remember watching the schools programmes on the TV (as mentioned in another thread), or Radio 2 on the radio while in bed - 1989-1990 seems to spring to mind, having a stuffy nose and having Karvol to help me breathe. I am almost certain that that bureaucrat, the Education Welfare Officer was involved one year, probably that year. The days when being ill had its positive aspects!

Did it feel really depressing to go back to school after two weeks of enjoying yourself, especially when one thinks of the weather at the start of January?
        Though we both had terrible times at School George mate, I'd give anything for less innocent times - not in-particular school, but having "purposes" for the next day etc or remembering the TV Progs as TV being novel then - like the Internet first was between 2002- 2008/11 for me

Other memories I recall of School after Xmas was taking in presents like Trainers gottan and Football shorts for PE (not PE ones) and begrudginly supporting Man U and wearing their Shorts cos -they could be "converted" into PE ones

I say begrudingly support them - but I know our mutual mate Darren on here - will find this Music to his tastes, though as they say like with the Xmas/New Year Footy Games - it's swings and roundabouts and takes all sorts differing Team/Club-wise!

80sChav

Comment

I am certain that I read somewhere (probably on Wikipedia) that in some countries like Australia perhaps, they break up for the holidays at the end of November or start of December, and don't go back until the end of January or start of February. Not surprising if that is the case, summertime is in December and January over there so there is more than one reason to stay away from school for - mind you, the bushfires they are having at the moment cannot be helping matters either.
          I'm having so much fun
          My lucky number's one
          Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

I was thinking that this year because of the coronavirus, going back to school after the Christmas holidays would have been delayed for obvious reasons - how much I would have seen this as an advantage had this happened in the 1980s and early 1990s when I was at school which would have made it feel to just like an extension to the Christmas holidays.
            I'm having so much fun
            My lucky number's one
            Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Working...
            X