Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Days of Pearly Spencer

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post

Marc Almond's cover didn't try this effect.
    a great song and Almonds cover does use a distortion effect in the chorus but not to the extent of the original, there’s a point where he sings the chorus twice and the second time, the distortion isn’t present.
    You can distinctly hear the change

theres also a David Bowie version but, as much as I like Bowie , I don’t rate it as much as McWilliams or Almonds version

Comment

Re: The Days of Pearly Spencer

Amazing song. Love it

Comment

The Days Of Pearly Spencer was based on a homeless man in Ballymena who was befriended by David McWilliams. The song reflected the writer's deep humanity and his empathy with those who live on the margins of society.

Comment

David McWilliams was born on July 4th, 1945, in the Cregagh area of Belfast, one of eight children of Sam and Molly McWilliams. When he was three, the family moved to Ballymena where he attended the Model School and then the local technical school after which he began an apprenticeship at an engineering works in Antrim town that manufactured torpedoes. tellculvers com survey taco bell breakfast hours

Comment

Absolutely stunning song. I'm a huge Marc Almond fan and got into his version when I was very young, but as much as I love that version I think nothing quite beats the original.

Comment

I actually thought that the original McWilliams version with the "lyrics sung down the phoneline" was originally due to technical reasons that they kept in to save time and money back then.
              I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
              There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
              I'm having so much fun
              My lucky number's one
              Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Working...
              X