Tea or Coffee?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tea or Coffee?

For my 3,000th post on DYR, I thought that I would ask one of the most obvious questions when it comes to putting the kettle on...

The $64,000 question: are you a tea or a coffee person?

I am personally a tea person, usually favouring Tetley teabags when I make a cup - and as it is just one cup, I don't usually use a teapot. I put the teabag in the mug before adding the water - and I always add the milk after the water of course, and then two spoons of sugar and stir well for a few seconds before drinking. I have got some coffee in the kitchen cupboard, but I usually save it for visitors if they are coming to see me. I did go into a "Maxwell House" phase a few years ago, only because of its blue jars, but I went back to tea immediately after that. I did switch to PG Tips because of their "free World Cup Mug" on special packs which was an offer too good to miss.

The ways that tea was advertised - Brian Glover giving Gaffer a voice for Tetley; Molly Badham's chimpanzees from Twycross Zoo got their 30 seconds of fame for PG Tips; and celebrities such as Frankie Howerd, Su Pollard and Cilla Black going oooh for Typhoo. And coffee was advertised with the shake of the beans for Nescafe "coffee at its best" courtesy of many C-list actors and actresses knowingly Gareth Hunt, Sarah Greene, and Una Stubbs; and Victoria Wood appeared in Maxwell House adverts not long after we were told to Get the Max.

Strange to say this, but I really used to enjoy sniffing an empty Tetley teabags box to smell that aroma of tea which had previously been in there. The smell of tea was great, and it made one want a cup.

My late mother was mostly a coffee drinker, drinking that horrible Camp coffee essence, and strangely, she only had cups of tea when she was visiting cafes on holiday in places like Skegness. My late father was a tea drinker, but as he was a diabetic in his later years, he had to use one of those special sweeteners that he could only have because of his condition.

Do you use a teapot, or a coffee peculator, and did that weird noise just like in the adverts when preparing Red Mountain? (wonderfully parodied by Bobby Davro). And when you have made the beverage, do you dunk the McVitie's biscuits into the drink? I personally don't like soggy biscuits and so I do not do that myself. It might have became a soap opera similar to the Gold Blend couple...
    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Re: Tea or Coffee?

Tea when I get up in morning milk no sugar,like glengetti tea.Coffee for elevenses,tea lunch time with a snack.Green tea around 3pm,then coffee before dinner inbetween I drink water,never tried camp coffee.When I go out for coffee I will either have americano or latte

Comment

I bought a box of Tetley peppermint tea bags from B & M 40 for £1

Comment

Always been an avid tea drinker...up until a fortnight ago, the surgeon doing my kidney stones told me i must cut right back on my tea consumption because it is high in oxalates which contribute to the formation of stones, i now limit myself to two cups a day (breakfast and dinner) i now have a cup of gold blend for elevenses and again at teatime.
        Biscuit of choice...the humble custard cream or maryland cookies
        Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

Well, there is only one letter difference between Tex and Tea...
          I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
          There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
          I'm having so much fun
          My lucky number's one
          Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Tea in the morning. Coffee after I get home from work. Tea before bedtime... Yes bedtime

Comment

Coffee for when the caffeine craving beckons but has to be tea with toast .. obviously

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I like both, i never have sugar in either though. My uncle butters his toast and dips it into a cup of tea! :-0

Comment

Originally posted by Danniella View Post
                  I like both, i never have sugar in either though. My uncle butters his toast and dips it into a cup of tea! :-0
                  Me too milk but no sugar

Comment

Originally posted by Danniella View Post
                    That just aint right !
                    Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

Originally posted by tex View Post
                      That just aint right !
                      It's pretty disgusting! He's told us he's done it since childhood.

Comment

Any ideas which brands of tea were mainstream back in the 1970s but no longer exist (in Britain?) today?

Tea bags were added to the Consumer Price Inflation shopping basket in 1980, and tea leaves were removed in 2002 due to low sales.

In 2019 I bought a box of Brooke Bond Everyday Blend although they were bags rather than leaves. I think they must have been a one off because they don't seem to be on sale now. Brooke Bond previously produced an economy brand called D which was still being sold around 10 years ago from pound shops. Unilever currently owns Brooke Bond and it is a very prominent brand of tea in India.

https://www.hul.co.in/brands/food-an...red-label.html

Hornimans is another brand that has disappeared from Britain but is still sold in Spain and parts of South America.

https://www.hornimans.com/about/

Comment

used to be either-or, but since getting my bean to cup machine several years ago, that's been my main beverage
                          DON'T TELL HIM YOUR NAME PIKE!!

Comment

Yorkshire Tea, failing that Ty-Phoo or Tetley will do. Averaging three cups in a day.

Coffee is something I might have only extremely rarely, and as likely decaff as not.
                            My virtual jigsaws: https://www.jigsawplanet.com/beccabear67/Original-photo-puzzles

Comment

If I have to pick one, then it's coffee.
                              Interestingly, I perform well at chess while consuming strong coffee.
                              ​​​​​​

Comment

Working...
                              X