Sunday afternoons on Radio 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunday afternoons on Radio 2

There is nothing quite nostalgic than Sunday afternoons - nowhere were open to purchase a loaf of bread, Songs of Praise and that EastEnd omnibus thing on BBC 1 and when Open University finished, Sunday Grandstand on BBC 2 until the Money Programme took over at around 6.40 pm. Bored out of my mind, school in the morning, almost nervous breakdown territory.

And I have to say that BBC Radio 2 was still having almost the same programmes on Sunday afternoons in the 1990s as they did 20 years before - always aimed at Rushcliffe Borough grannies and grandfathers retired in the middle of the countryside - not a single offending Unitary Authority to be seen! Cue the Waltham Music Centre and the Grundig reel-to-reel tape recorder at the ready, folks!

Turning the radio dial on a Sunday afternoon - that "disgraced man's" Record Club on Radio 1, followed by Tom Browne, Tony Blackburn, Tommy Vance etc doing the Top 20. Gardener's Question Time on Radio 4 followed by a play. Ron Stevens presenting the Golden Years on BBC Radio Nottingham (95.4 VHF, straight after Dennis McCarthy's Sunday Show); and something else on Radio 2 - yes, something else.

Fair enough, for nearly 30 years it was in its "musical hall" era even when Desmond Carrington was on in the mornings in the Michael Ball slot - that was unless Easter or the London Marathon made him redundant one or two weeks in early spring. But then we had Benny Green (not the footballing mad Grange Hill pupil), but a lot older namesake with a jazz theme. At around 4.30 pm Cliff Adams and his singers promised to Sing Something Simple - give them a tune and they will sing it, just like any promising barbershop quartet would. Adams did the "for mash, get Smash" advertising jingle which was probably his big legacy outside Radio 2-land. And speaking of football, it was always on 909 and 693 where it still is on Radio 5 Live - but they were Radio 2's MW frequencies back then.

And for the over 50s who weren't too interested in Buck's Fizz or Kate Bush, there was Charlie Chester in that 5.00 pm to 7.00 pm slot, which he had weekdays until October 1972 when Tom Browne became his Radio 1 counterpart, until he was replaced by Pam Ayres and then Ed "Stewpot" Stewart - another near Grange Hill namesake, who helped me to find someone in his Where Are They Now? feature. The slot is more or less still going courtesy of Paul O'Grady.

In the evenings, Melodies for You, Sunday Half Hour and Your Hundred Best Tunes courtesy of Alan Keith who reached his 94 best years when he passed away. Now, look what it is like now - Radio 1 circa 1984! Well, almost...

Does anyone miss the slow pace of Radio 2 on Sundays, or do you think that it is a lot more livelier these days?
    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Re: Sunday afternoons on Radio 2

George, as always your memory for times and dates amazes me
    Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

Originally posted by tex View Post
      George, as always your memory for times and dates amazes me
      Using the Genome helps of course.
      I'm having so much fun
      My lucky number's one
      Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Always loved the grumbleweeds show on Sunday afternoon on radio 2 in the 80 s

Comment

Were the Grumbleweeds actually on Sunday afternoons? They may have been repeated on Sundays, but I thought that it was usually on Friday nights around 10.00 pm.
          I'm having so much fun
          My lucky number's one
          Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
            Were the Grumbleweeds actually on Sunday afternoons? They may have been repeated on Sundays, but I thought that it was usually on Friday nights around 10.00 pm.
            I remember listening to The Grumbleweeds at 10pm too, not sure of the night(s) now though.
            The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

Must have been repeats , I distinctly remember tuning in while ma was making Sunday lunch

Comment

Originally posted by HG View Post
                I remember listening to The Grumbleweeds at 10pm too, not sure of the night(s) now though.
                It was on a Friday.
                I'm having so much fun
                My lucky number's one
                Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

According to the Radio Times archive it was on various nights including Friday and Sunday(which is when I think I listened to them).
                  https://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/search/0...00%3A00#search
                  The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

I loved those days too.I was a big fan of Benny Green and Your Hundred Best Tunes.Although Radio 2 doesn't cater for the over fifties much anymore Radio 2 is still reasonably palatable on a Sunday evening with the current repeats of Friday Night Is Music Night,Clair Teale and Don Black.Having said that I really miss the late Alan Dell's danceband and bigband show later presented by the ĺate Malcolm Laycock.I also miss Russell Davies's show on the art of the popular song and dear old David Jacobs

Comment

Like listening to Anne Nightingale on Sunday evenings

Comment

Originally posted by amethyst View Post
                        Like listening to Anne Nightingale on Sunday evenings
                        was she not on Radio one just after the top 40 on Sun Evenings?

Comment

Working...
                        X