Washing machines and tumble driers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Washing machines and tumble driers

Does anyone own a washing machine with built in tumble drier, and if so, has anyone has had problems with it recently?

Mine is a Hotpoint Aquarius which I got from John Lewis in 2014 not long after I had moved into my incumbent abode - I have never had any major problems with it, although on Tuesday when I did some washing, I did for the first time.

I washed some clothes and bed things at the normal temperature - put some Bold inside along with some fabric conditioner. Washing was fine - and then I switched it into drying mode. After a couple of hours I smelt a burning smell and it even affected my eyes - the smell was still in the room two days later so I opened the windows to get rid of it, which I have got rid of most of it. When I opened the door, I saw some of the clothes had burn marks on them and probably needed the irony of washing again - in fact, they looked cleaner when I first put them in there!

But I found the cause of the problem was a bedspread which had a hole burnt right through and so needed to be thrown away - it was dirty so quite naturally, I washed it. In hindsight, because of the problems it might have actually been one that could only be dry-cleaned hence my problems.

Coincidentally, on the BBC News pages on Wednesday, I saw these pages:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51298725

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/extra/D1q...ams-I39gIy4yG1

https://washingmachinerecall.whirlpool.co.uk/

I was thinking about telephoning their helpline, although looking at the instruction manual where the model and serial numbers are situated, they didn't match with the ones in the product recall which I suppose takes the pressure off a little bit. Mind you, they are similar makes and models to what I have got and my situation has happened at the same times as this was published, although it might have been caused by put a wrong item inside there. I suppose that if they ever did a laundrette themed episode of Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em, if would be rather like that!

It does make me worry because although I live in a modern place with working smoke alarm, clear escape routes and all that, when one thinks of Grenfell Tower and other incidents like that, and the Health and Safety and Trading Standards observing the dangers of everyday items going haywire when it shouldn't do. Things like that which should help modern living be straightforward could possibly mean that it may do the complete opposite of that at the end of the day.

Has anyone else had problems and difficulties with their combined washing machine and tumble drier?
    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Re: Washing machines and tumble driers

It is worrying when this happens,imagine someone has to pop out leaving their tumble drier on,to find there is a fire when they get back.I have never owned a tumble drier the washing goes on an indoor airer in the winter,and pegged out in spring summer autumn.It is more difficult for yourself and guys who live in flats with no garden for washing line.

Comment

There wasn't a fire but I could smell burning - I know they do say that there's no smoke without it...
      I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
      There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
      I'm having so much fun
      My lucky number's one
      Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
        There wasn't a fire but I could smell burning - I know they do say that there's no smoke without it...
        True enough

Comment

Working...
        X