Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Benny Hill

Default Benny Hill

Benny was in TV even as early as the 1950s...
    his risque shows and sketches always popular with everyone...
    that is until we entered the politically correct world we live in now
    and poor old Benny fell out of fashion.....

But you cant hold a good man down and Benny is now famous and loved around the world
    despite the endless sneering of Ben Elton and the alternative crowd

Default Re: Benny Hill

Ben Elton and his talentless chums of the early 80s 'alternative comedy' movement were extremely fortunate to be able to make a living. Most of the acts were nothing more than shambling on stage and screeching 'Maggie Thatcher' or, in Jo Brand's case, 'I love chocolate, I hate men'. Lazy beyond belief. And to think of all the old-school comics who were thrown on the scrapheap after spending decades working the clubs and honing their craft. Still makes my blood boil.

Benny was hilarious but of a different era
    My teeth itch and my hair is scratchy

Quote Originally Posted by teepee View Post
    Ben Elton and his talentless chums of the early 80s 'alternative comedy' movement were extremely fortunate to be able to make a living. Most of the acts were nothing more than shambling on stage and screeching 'Maggie Thatcher' or, in Jo Brand's case, 'I love chocolate, I hate men'. Lazy beyond belief. And to think of all the old-school comics who were thrown on the scrapheap after spending decades working the clubs and honing their craft. Still makes my blood boil.
    It's just a case of things moving on, & younger people being more interested in comedians they could related to better, being 2 generations behind by the end of the 1980s.
    The Trickster On The Roof

He was trying to be the Charlie Chaplin of his generation but couldn't quite do it - he was overweight and got a load of sub-Page Three women chasing him.
    Telling it almost exactly like it was so many years later - and proud of doing so!

Mind you, I liked his 1971 Christmas hit - I always thought he was a one hit wonder but he had a few minor hits in the 1960s as well.

Benny Hill and Frankie Howerd were great friends so the tragedy that they both passed away in 1992 within days of each other - while bizarrely, Hill payed tribute to Howerd just before he passed on, and it came two days after Hill himseld died.
    Telling it almost exactly like it was so many years later - and proud of doing so!

Quote Originally Posted by tex View Post
    Benny was hilarious but of a different era
    I thought that Mr Bean was supposed to be a replacement for Hill in a way that they were mostly acts who hardly spoke and were famous for visual comedy, as well as the fact that they were both contracted to Thames TV for their comedy shows.

Quote Originally Posted by teepee View Post
    There were plenty of terrible old-school comics making a living telling lazy mother-in-law jokes and doing racist impressions too. Some of them are still at it.

The good ones were able to reinvent themselves and are still doing just fine. Tarby, Les Dennis, Jimmy Cricket, Barry Cryer, Jethro, Tom O'Connor... all still working as much or as little as they like. Frank Carson, Bernard Manning, and Bruce Forsyth worked until as close to they they died as their health allowed. Benny Hill died the day his new contract arrived from Central TV, having just turned down offers from two other ITV franchises.

Sure, we don't see them on TV much any more, but television comedy has always represented the most fashionable cross-section of what's happening everywhere else... whether that was comedy clubs, working men's clubs, cruise ships, or even radio or (nowadays) podcasts.

why does nt someone go into the shows of Benny... the Two Rons..... Dick Emery etc
    and make vid clips of their sketches.... say 3 or 4 mins each ... maybe date them by year ...

seperate the tv gold from the dross

Quote Originally Posted by numpty View Post
    There were plenty of terrible old-school comics making a living telling lazy mother-in-law jokes and doing racist impressions too. Some of them are still at it.

The good ones were able to reinvent themselves and are still doing just fine. Tarby, Les Dennis, Jimmy Cricket, Barry Cryer, Jethro, Tom O'Connor... all still working as much or as little as they like. Frank Carson, Bernard Manning, and Bruce Forsyth worked until as close to they they died as their health allowed. Benny Hill died the day his new contract arrived from Central TV, having just turned down offers from two other ITV franchises.

Sure, we don't see them on TV much any more, but television comedy has always represented the most fashionable cross-section of what's happening everywhere else... whether that was comedy clubs, working men's clubs, cruise ships, or even radio or (nowadays) podcasts.
    They tried to make Freddie Starr a Benny Hill replacement when he got a Central TV contract - all I saw of him was a couple of Bank Holiday specials on ITV which I suppose might have been a blessing in disguise in hindsight.

But yes, those who are still around such as the ones you mentioned are either retired or doing cruises or the theatre. I liked Bobby Davro, Russ Abbot, Cannon and Ball (well, someone had to stick up for them), and to a degree, Brian Conley. If you ever travel around the country to see them in pantomime, it's as if they have never gone away, although the irony is that these pantos that are aimed at children who weren't even born when they appeared regularly on the TV.