Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Benny Hill

Default Re: Benny Hill

When you think how much Eric and Ernie thrived on the repartee of a double act
    its always surprised me that there are so few around today.... like none.... unless you count Ant and Flippin Eck ?

Maybe todays comics are more independently minded and just dont like splitting the theatre fee....?

James Corden & Mathew Horne tried being a double act on the back of Gavin & Stacey but it didn't work out so well.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Quote Originally Posted by silverbirch View Post
    When you think how much Eric and Ernie thrived on the repartee of a double act
    its always surprised me that there are so few around today.... like none.... unless you count Ant and Flippin Eck ?

Maybe todays comics are more independently minded and just dont like splitting the theatre fee....?
    You are right - comedy double acts seem to stem from the past, probably because it takes two people to do a double act, and have that straightman-funnyman divide, although in double acts like Hale and Pace, there wasn't really the straightman in that double act. When they appeared on Des O'Connor Tonight, he made the same observation, although Pace was the closes to being a straightman. The Two Ronnies were almost like two straightmen together, although they were two comedians working together. Morecambe and Wise did the "in bed" sketches without a whiff of assumptions that they could be gay, and I think that Cannon and Ball copied them as well as other same-gender double acts.

From an alternative comedy perspective, there were French and Saunders, Reeves and Mortimer, and also Mel Smith and Griff Rhys-Jones - again semi-official as they also did separate shows.
    Telling it almost exactly like it was so many years later - and proud of doing so!

Quote Originally Posted by George 1978 View Post
    You are right - comedy double acts seem to stem from the past, probably because it takes two people to do a double act, and have that straightman-funnyman divide, although in double acts like Hale and Pace, there wasn't really the straightman in that double act. When they appeared on Des O'Connor Tonight, he made the same observation, although Pace was the closes to being a straightman. The Two Ronnies were almost like two straightmen together, although they were two comedians working together. Morecambe and Wise did the "in bed" sketches without a whiff of assumptions that they could be gay, and I think that Cannon and Ball copied them as well as other same-gender double acts.

From an alternative comedy perspective, there were French and Saunders, Reeves and Mortimer, and also Mel Smith and Griff Rhys-Jones - again semi-official as they also did separate shows.
    Yes that's very true.

Fry & Laurie were another semi-official duo, as were Harry Enfield & Paul Whitehouse.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Again, Fry and Laurie are probably more famous for doing their own thing rather than being a double act.

Funnily enough, I have always wondered if one had put two comedians and made them work together, which one would be the straight man and which one would be the funny man? Take Frankie Howerd for example - he would have been the funny man to Bruce Forsyth, but the straight man to Tommy Cooper. It depends on who would have worked with who back then.
    Telling it almost exactly like it was so many years later - and proud of doing so!

just today on sat tv saw Laurie talking in an american accent....
    just dont seem right ....

just today on sat tv saw Laurie talking in an american accent....
    just dont seem right ....
    The things actors do to make themselves internationally well-known. Tsk.

Rowan Martin were a good double act
    Dan Rowan and Dick Martin ... famous for hosting the Lagh In cult show from the 60s ...
    They had a good repartee... which is what a double act is all about

Dan the suave straight man and Dick Martin a little bit zany

Dan Rowan and Dick Martin ... famous for hosting the Lagh In cult show from the 60s ...

Good repartee...maybe but the type of sickly American 60s humour which i personally found BLEUGHH!!
    My teeth itch and my hair is scratchy

We didn't see too much of them in Great Britain, although they were shown on Sunday night BBC 2 before my time - I am certain that they were made in the United States by the same company that made Sesame Street.