X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Attempted burglary

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
    I think you are - it takes guts.

It reminded me of when my family was experiencing anti-social behaviour from youngsters in the mid 1990s - stones thrown at windows, etc. My parents owned a shotgun (not sure if it was loaded, but we got rid of it eventually). My late father was so close to the end of his tether that he was so close to going after them and using it. I wouldn't have done that in fear of being dragged through the legal system.
    I don’t really agree

I think everyone would find the will power to stand in the way of a stranger trying to get upstairs where the family are .

I’d be useless with my fists but stood on the stairs with a bread knife in my good hand and the two foot piece of 2” x 2” in my left hand I’m pretty sure that nobody is getting past me .

Just got to hope they haven’t got a shot gun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Zincubus View Post
      I don’t really agree

I think everyone would find the will power to stand in the way of a stranger trying to get upstairs where the family are .

I’d be useless with my fists but stood on the stairs with a bread knife in my good hand and the two foot piece of 2” x 2” in my left hand I’m pretty sure that nobody is getting past me .

I think anger and adrenaline take over in such situations, as an ex supermarket manager i was often put in harms way but shoplifters would never get past me
      Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

I don’t really agree

As the person is a stranger that obviously one does not know on one's property, it depends on whether they are armed or not, so to be on the safe side, I would say that it takes guts to do so - agree to disagree if necessary, Zincubus. I also believe that it does take stamina and courage to be in such an incident - the April 2008 burglary was the closest that I have experienced to something like that. All incidents are different even if the same crime is being committed. The fact of the matter is that I didn't invite the burglar in for a cup of tea and a McVitie's digestive - he (or she) was trespassing on private property and they were not invited in and play bailiff to take the family silver and the colour TV set. As a homeowner, one also has to play security guard to keep one's property intact.

There is the "self-defence" angle and there is the "frustration" angle - Tony Martin represented the latter of the two mostly as he had been burgled over 30 times and he was at the end of his tether - I can understand how bitter and angry he was, and my sympathies were with him as because I also live on my own due to one thing and another, and I can understand the fact that when you are on your own, shouting out is useless. When Tony Martin was jailed in April 2000 for killing the burglar with a shotgun, it made me think at the time that if the victim had been a woman, and the person had been repeatedly raped rather than burgled, and the woman had also shot the intruder who raped her dead, I am almost certain that it would be treated differently because: A) the woman would be seen as a victim; B) the woman wouldn't have gone to prison; and: C) the woman would have been granted anonymity from the media. Almost like different planets between the way they are both treated.

I hope that I do not ever get into a situation where a violent armed burglary or robbery happens - for some reason, I might not live to tell the tale if it did happen.
        I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
        There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
        I'm having so much fun
        My lucky number's one
        Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

By the way, if my previous posting was a bit "strong", I would like to add that I feel very strongly about thieves and trespassers going onto one's own property, and I thought that it was a perfect opportunity to vent my spleen in the process. I have had a hard day with various things going wrong, hence my assertiveness. I shall move on after this.
          I'm having so much fun
          My lucky number's one
          Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
            As the person is a stranger that obviously one does not know on one's property, it depends on whether they are armed or not, so to be on the safe side, I would say that it takes guts to do so - agree to disagree if necessary, Zincubus. I also believe that it does take stamina and courage to be in such an incident - the April 2008 burglary was the closest that I have experienced to something like that. All incidents are different even if the same crime is being committed. The fact of the matter is that I didn't invite the burglar in for a cup of tea and a McVitie's digestive - he (or she) was trespassing on private property and they were not invited in and play bailiff to take the family silver and the colour TV set. As a homeowner, one also has to play security guard to keep one's property intact.

There is the "self-defence" angle and there is the "frustration" angle - Tony Martin represented the latter of the two mostly as he had been burgled over 30 times and he was at the end of his tether - I can understand how bitter and angry he was, and my sympathies were with him as because I also live on my own due to one thing and another, and I can understand the fact that when you are on your own, shouting out is useless. When Tony Martin was jailed in April 2000 for killing the burglar with a shotgun, it made me think at the time that if the victim had been a woman, and the person had been repeatedly raped rather than burgled, and the woman had also shot the intruder who raped her dead, I am almost certain that it would be treated differently because: A) the woman would be seen as a victim; B) the woman wouldn't have gone to prison; and: C) the woman would have been granted anonymity from the media. Almost like different planets between the way they are both treated.

I hope that I do not ever get into a situation where a violent armed burglary or robbery happens - for some reason, I might not live to tell the tale if it did happen.
            I may be incorrect here but I always thought he was jailed because he shot the guy in the back when he was running away ... so not self defence

If he’d have shot the guy when he was coming towards him I presume he’d have been fine ( self defence )

Comment

I may be incorrect here but I always thought he was jailed because he shot the guy in the back when he was running away ... so not self defence

If he’d have shot the guy when he was coming towards him I presume he’d have been fine ( self defence )
              I think that Tony Martin was frustrated at the lack of support from the police, hence taking the law into his own hands. It just shows you how society has become as a result of that - if he had a lot more support a lot earlier on, both in a home security and also a legal perspective, it probably wouldn't have come to that. For some reason I was always on his side and not the burglar's.

A few years ago, one of the newspapers, probably the Grauniad (the online version at least) did a list of people who had used lethal weapons on robbers and burglars and ended up in the courts - a pattern emerged where the person wasn't prosecuted when the shotgun or knife wound was inflicted in the front, whilst they were prosecuted when it was inflicted in the back.

I am so glad that where I live now, I have security by virtue of a communal door (although it is sometimes ajar because the last person didn't shut it properly - I always do), and living on the second floor - it is a piece of mind.
              I'm having so much fun
              My lucky number's one
              Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Sorry to post in an old thread, but I’ve just almost gotten robbed in Lancashire. It was a man with a knife. I luckily managed to escape by running for my life. It was one of the most terrible experiences in my life.
                This case again proves to me that I really do need a bodyguard . At least sometimes.
                I don’t even know why that guy approached me because I don’t look that rich. Some say those people choose the victim that’s disorganized, and you can easily tell it about me because I’ve been a little bit of a mess lately. However, I don’t want that to repeat. I did report the case to the police and hope they manage to find him.

Comment

Very sad to hear ths.
                  One of the worst things to happen in the place u feel most safe.
                  Now ull be on edge thanks to whom ever did it.

Did u call the cops hope they find the one who did it.

Perhaps get one of those verysure alarms.

Originally posted by tex View Post
                  what a day ive had, at 2.30am this morning somebody tried unsuccessfully to break into my house!..they managed to destroy the lock on my front door but it set off the alarm so they legged it empty handed.. Possibly were after my car keys, i had to pay £135 pounds for a new lock so the wife and i have been up since 2.30
                  FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by RobySul View Post
                    Sorry to post in an old thread, but I’ve just almost gotten robbed in Lancashire. It was a man with a knife. I luckily managed to escape by running for my life. It was one of the most terrible experiences in my life.
                    This case again proves to me that I really do need a bodyguard . At least sometimes.
                    I don’t even know why that guy approached me because I don’t look that rich. Some say those people choose the victim that’s disorganized, and you can easily tell it about me because I’ve been a little bit of a mess lately. However, I don’t want that to repeat. I did report the case to the police and hope they manage to find him.
                    Don't apologise - even King Charles III can be made vulnerable despite having a number of bodyguards and security - eggs thrown at him again while he was visiting Luton.

I was assaulted in 1990 because I simply couldn't give someone something that I didn't have - we did get the police out for that one. If only the youth was a pupil at my school at the time - the sch0ol probably would have had authority in that respect for as matters even on the way to school back then they could deal with. And someone who was in my class at school in the 1980s had been stabbed to death in 2016.

I think that they pick on people because they look vulnerable rather than rich, just like telephone fraudsters. I used to think that if I walked a mile after midnight on a Sunday morning, something like that would happen - I did this one weekend when the clocks went back an hour and was so relieved that there was no one about as I posted some letters in a postbox a bit further away from my nearest one and came back in one piece- well, at least I assumed that there was no one about...
                    I'm having so much fun
                    My lucky number's one
                    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Working...
                    X