Supasnaps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supasnaps

I was watching old ad breaks from the mid 1980s on YouTube and I came across one for Supasnaps, the photography processing shop, and I have wondered whatever happen to them? - did they become part of Max Spielman or did they just go into liquidation in the early 1990s or something? The advert had a very yellow themed one with the words or logo in red everywhere, even on the back pocket of two people's jeans or trousers when they were together.

I know that when one handed in your photographic film to be developed, they gave you a free camera of any choice of colour (even though I didn't use mine) or something with the prints, or a free film. It does remind me of my first trip to the American Adventure in May 1989 and my late father nipping in our film to a branch of Supasnaps while I was at school, so they were done before the end of the day and I could see the pictures as soon as I got home. The photograph wallet was yellow as well, so I assume that it was the same firm.

Since the 1990s I have always favoured Boots for their one hour or overnight service, and so other shops like Supasnaps have been forgotten about - they are not to be confused with Snappy Snaps which I assume are still around?

Are they still around, even if it is under another name, these days?
    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Re: Supasnaps

Did they go out of business when digital cameras became popular not sure

Comment

Also Truprint, are they still a thing?
      Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

Originally posted by tex View Post
        Yeah I use truprint online
        Heather

Comment

I think there is a Max Spielman still open in Manchester.

Quite a few photo shops installed machines for printing your digital photos, I used in Boots when I wanted a wedding photo for my desk at work.
          The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by tex View Post
            They were always a "pop your film in an envelope and post it" company, the same as Bonusprint - they often fell out of the Sunday magazine supplements back in the 1980s.

I know that Max Spielman are very much still around, but I was wondering whether they took over Supasnaps?
            I'm having so much fun
            My lucky number's one
            Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Of course, Supasnaps were not spelt "Supersnaps" (one company is listed on Google when searched), or even Snappy Snaps which was a different company.
              I'm having so much fun
              My lucky number's one
              Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

I was watching old ad breaks from the mid 1980s on YouTube and I came across one for Supasnaps, the photography processing shop, and I have wondered whatever happen to them? - did they become part of Max Spielman or did they just go into liquidation in the early 1990s or something? The advert had a very yellow themed one with the words or logo in red everywhere, even on the back pocket of two people's jeans or trousers when they were together.

I know that when one handed in your photographic film to be developed, they gave you a free camera of any choice of colour (even though I didn't use mine) or something with the prints, or a free film. It does remind me of my first trip to the American Adventure in May 1989 and my late father nipping in our film to a branch of Supasnaps while I was at school, so they were done before the end of the day and I could see the pictures as soon as I got home. The photograph wallet was yellow as well, so I assume that it was the same firm.

Since the 1990s I have always favoured Boots for their one hour or overnight service, and so other shops like Supasnaps have been forgotten about - they are not to be confused with Snappy Snaps which I assume are still around?

I still see those Supasnaps in a big town, but they are more like a vintage store mow and also for those enthusiats who are still using old cameras
                Hi from sindi

Comment

Mann, the good old days were so interesting. Everyone was still discovering new things, and everyone had respect and love for each other. Even these old photos that you have and videos are very precious, and I think they remind you of the times you were happy. Now everyone has a phone, but no one values the photos they take as much as we value our old ones.

Comment

I worked at supasnaps in the late 80s in Aylesbury. I know there was one in Telford when I moved there in the 90s but it's now a subway. No idea where they are at now

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post

My dad's friend, Ted Kerr, was one of the founders of Supersnaps. Sadly I've lost track of him; probably deceased by now, I'm afraid. I'd certainly like to know what became of it.

Comment

I worked at SupaSnaps from 1986 to 2002. We were taken over by Dixons in the late 80s and then sold onto Sketchleys dry cleaners. We proceeded to put photopoints into dry cleaning branches and went into some Sainsbury branches under both brands. (Johnson did a similar thing with Klick photopoint) as well as continue our prescence on the High Street. Things changed as digital photography became more popular. Both brands were bought by the owners of Mr Minit and things went downhill then due to the new management and increased competition. Both brands then appeared within Mr Minit branches. I believe Timpsons bought out Mr Minit (our local MM turned into a Timpsons. The brand names of SupaSnaps and Sketchleys have now gone; Johnsons bought some Sketchley branches and SupaSnaps all but disappeared. Max Speilmann was our main competitor on the High Street and their machines are in some Timpsons branches. All very confusing - but SupaSnaps heyday was definitely late 80s/early 90s and it was a brilliant company to work for then. The point of giving out those little plastic cameras was because the customer had to buy different film for it. We had incentives to sell as much of this film as possible. My branch won on our area, and I won a lovely holiday.

Comment

Working...
                        X