Roof Racks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roof Racks

I remember at one time almost every other car owner seemed to have one of these.

My parents had one which ended up in the garden shed for years because it wouldn't fit on any other cars they had after they replaced the car it was bought for.

Later on my Dad got some roof bars to carry home a snooker table because it was the only way to do it that didn't involve hiring a van.

The popularity of hatchbacks & even saloons where the seats folded down & bigger loads could be carried inside a car seemed to diminish the need for a roof rack.

In the 1990s roof boxes became more popular as they would keep things dry & more secure.

These days I see more on vans where they need to carry ladders.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Re: Roof Racks

The only ones you see now are workmen with Van's to carry ladders as you said.To be honest if we did have a car with a roof rack it wasn't used hardly.I remember we had a sun roof on the capri & fiesta then they faded out as air con was introduced

Comment

We have everything delivered straight to the front door these days, i think the majority of people would never use one
      Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

I have to admit that when I see a roof rack with a ladder on it, I always associate it with fire engines against other vehicles.
        I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
        There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
        I'm having so much fun
        My lucky number's one
        Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
          I remember at one time almost every other car owner seemed to have one of these.

My parents had one which ended up in the garden shed for years because it wouldn't fit on any other cars they had after they replaced the car it was bought for.

Later on my Dad got some roof bars to carry home a snooker table because it was the only way to do it that didn't involve hiring a van.

The popularity of hatchbacks & even saloons where the seats folded down & bigger loads could be carried inside a car seemed to diminish the need for a roof rack.

In the 1990s roof boxes became more popular as they would keep things dry & more secure.

These days I see more on vans where they need to carry ladders.
          Our Ford Cortina Estate Circa 1987, we drove up to ayr had one Richard!

I can see it now parked on Troon Harbour! What memories!!

80sChav

Comment

Working...
          X