X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: FA Cup Finals

Originally posted by Quetelet View Post
    ........although Malcolm MacDonald comes a very close second
    He is responsible for one of the funniest post match interviews i've seen on tv, after Huddersfield (he was manager) lost 10-1 to Man City. It was deer in headlights time. He just babbled about them playing off sides. LMAO.
    "GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER"

Comment

I've always hated Charlie George
      Aw! He was my hero back then.
      sigpic
      'Dreams come true if you want them to'

Comment

........although Malcolm MacDonald comes a very close second
        I passed him on the stairs once at Luton Town FC. He looked at me (swoon!)
        sigpic
        'Dreams come true if you want them to'

Comment

West Ham 2 Fulham 0 1975, the reason I'm a Hammer. Watched with two mates who were cheering for Fulham. They were all **** a hoop due to Fulham having the game by the short and curlies until Taylor ups and pops a couple in the onion bag. He who laughs last ... gets jumped on and chucked in Charlie's swimming pool.

Comment

My earliest memory of a cup final was Spurs v Man City, 1981.

Originally posted by Elbmek View Post
            I bet they do not dine out on the 9-0 drubbing they got at Old Trafford, still the record score for the Premiership.
            The only consolation for us that season was that we beat Man Utd 3-2 in our home fixture...

Comment

My earliest memory of watching the F.A.Cup (in fact I think it's my ONLY memory!) was in 1973 when Sunderland beat Leeds United and Ian Porterfield scored the (first? only?) goal. I remember it because my extended family gathered to watch it at our house and we had a sweep and I won. I can't remember how much I got but it seemed a lot at the time.
              "She moves in such an exciting world!"

Comment

The first one i remember was 1984 when Everton beat Watford, my fave was the one about 1989 when Liverpool beat Everton 3-2?
                There was also a brilliant semi final late 80s/early 90s with Liverpool and Crystal Palce and i think Palace won that one 4-3.

Comment

1965 when Liverpool beat my beloved Leeds 2-1 in extra time.

Comment

1970 Chelsea beat Leeds Utd after a replay at Old Trafford. I cried as a Child and my older sister asked for permission to swear. Gary Sprake let a nightmare goal in at Wembley from Peter Houseman.
                    Leeds were so good but they came up short so often because of Sprake. If they'd had a goalkeeper of the caliber of Gordon Banks or Schmeichel, Leeds would have re-written the History books.

Comment

Originally posted by branny View Post
                      !976 Southampton v Man Utd. Used to enjoy it more in those days because there were more shocks. It has a certain inevitability about it these days. Another exciting Man U v Chelsea final this year probably.
                      First one I remember too. On TV, Ed Stewart was outside the stadium with a group of young Southampton fans. He said 'who's your favourite player, Mike Channon?'. They all shouted 'YEAH' except one puzzled lad at the front, who, when Ed inquired, whispered 'Gordon Hill'. Ed quickly pointed him in the direction of the United group he was going to talk to next, while all the Southampton kids laughed at him contemptously. And rightly so.

Comment

The Best thing about ANY FA Cup Final in the 70s was 'Cup Final It's A Knockout' with Stuart Hall(Genius) and Eddie Waring(From my Home Town and as think as hell)
                        With fans from both Final Teams competing to get the upper hand in the psyching each other out stakes. It had little to no bearing on the eventual winners of the Football match but it was excellent fun on a Cup Final morning build up.... that and Cup Final Mastermind.

Comment

My first FA Cup final was 1977 (the reason i'm a UTD supporter), especially getting one over on that lot (didn't happen much in the 70's 'n' 80's mind), it did come back to haunt us in the 1983 milk cup final though.

Comment

Originally posted by spuggybridge View Post
                            My first FA Cup final was 1977 (the reason i'm a UTD supporter), especially getting one over on that lot (didn't happen much in the 70's 'n' 80's mind), it did come back to haunt us in the 1983 milk cup final though.

UTD supporter good lad.
                            first utd cup final i remember was man utd beating crystal palace 1-0 in 1990.
                            FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Yeah there was some "Classics" indeed ... Coventry 3 Tottenham 2 in 1987, that was great as was the orginal Wimbledon before they become MK Franchise beating Liverpoool 1-0 in 1988, what a fairytale that was!!, though I was too young to fully appreciate it. I remember too the Liverpool V Sunderland Final of 1992 being good also and truly willing on Sunderland to win as they had gone so far that Season! To think if it'd not been for Liverpool (though I don't begrudge them their glory or hate them as people seem to hate Man Utd today ... me included sadly) that the 1992 final very very nearly was an all 2nd Division Final for the first tme in Years. It was only either penalties or a reply that somehow Portsmouth lost out to Liverpool on that Season!!!
                              Last edited by 80sChav; 26-10-2011, 00:15.

Comment

I quite enjoyed last seasons. (Don's tin hat and awaits tongue lashing off Herr Grunwald because it's nowt to do with 70's, 80's or 90's). Then again i'm enjoying most games this season. CTID.
                                "GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER"

Comment

Working...
                                X