Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: FA Cup Finals

Default Re: FA Cup Finals

United's problem is their success, they are there to be shot down and 'lesser' clubs treat it like Wembley Cup Finals.

If success is the problem, I know another 92 league teams who would love a fraction of the problems that United have had especially under Fergie.
    "GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER"

The first FA Cup Final I remember was the great 1971 game between my beloved Arsenal and Liverpool.
    It was much hyped at the time and I still remember half my junior school playground full of Arsenal supporters and the other half Liverpool, chanting at each other. Brilliant!
    Of course The Gunners won 2-1 courtesy of gorgeous George.

'Dreams come true if you want them to'

The first final I really remember was the 1985 one. We were at my Gran's & she had borrowed a colour portable TV so my brother could watch it in the spare room (she had a B&W set there) & leave the rest of us in peace. I remember Norman Whiteside scoring in extra time, but not Kevin Moran's sending off.

It used to always show the teams in blazers having a steak meal about 12-ish before the game but now they give 'em pasta and stuff for sustained energy

One things sticks in my mind , and they've been on telly a couple of times , is the sad ones in the car parks outside the stadium who come every year but nor for the game -- Transit van spotters!

Apparently its the best place/time to see such a wide variety of vans from up and down the country -- worse than train spotters LOL

1979 is the greatest final I've ever seen (chances are there might have been ones equally as good in the prev 100yrs, but can only go on my experience....off at a tangent here: thats why I hate these 'top 100' programmes that are always on TV; they're naturally biased to films/tv/people within living memory, and the people who tend to vote are perhaps the 'younger' end of the age scale)

Back on track again: I would love to have seen my team's (Bradford City) win in 1911..but then again I'd prob be dead now if I had. Still , its almost certainly the only time we'll EVER win it

Splitters!

Visit us here:
    http://www.doyouremember.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Pensky View Post
    For me it would be the 1978 FA Cup Final when the underdogs Ipswich Town beat Arsenal 1-0.

Sadly, there are still ITFC supporters still dining out on that victory, including me.
    That makes two of us Pensky - I'm a Tractor Boy through and through. I'm also still dining out on the UEFA Cup victory we had in 1981, I can still picture Mick Mills lifting that huge cup now.

PS: Funny about Norwich isn't it?!
    Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

I must be a lot older then the rest of you as my first memory of the F.A. CUP final is when Chavski were Chelsea and beat Leeds in 1970, after the cracking game at Wembley which ended in a draw.
    Chelsea brought out the song "Blue is the Colour" for that too.

Quote Originally Posted by kazboot View Post
    The first FA Cup Final I remember was the great 1971 game between my beloved Arsenal and Liverpool.
    It was much hyped at the time and I still remember half my junior school playground full of Arsenal supporters and the other half Liverpool, chanting at each other. Brilliant!
    Of course The Gunners won 2-1 courtesy of gorgeous George.

I've always hated Charlie George

........although Malcolm MacDonald comes a very close second