FA Cup Finals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: FA Cup Finals

1990 was the first FA Cup final I ever saw on tv. Man U v Crystal Palace. Palace had beaten pretty much the best team going at the time (Liverpool) in an epic semi-final. I got to see what Wembley looked like in the daylight for the first time. All I'd seen of Wembley prior to that were a few England games that were all played at night. The stadium just looked better by daylight imho. Anyway the whole thing seemed like magic to me. On top of the occasion the game itself was end to end and finished 3-3. I figured this is what every FA final would be like from now on. How wrong I was! The 90 replay the following midweek was a tighter duller affair. Palace had run out of steam and eventually lost 1-0. It seemed almost like an anti-climax.

The following year I was still highly interested and following "Gazza's Spurs" get to the final. What undermined the tournament for me this time was that they played the semi-final v Arsenal *in Wembley*. I think this was the first time they'd ever done this? I didn't like this at all. Of course it's the norm nowadays, but I think it kind of undermined the whole final occasion when a semi-final had already been played there.

1992 was a bit of an anti-climax (Liverpool vs a 2nd division team Sunderland) and by 1993 my interest was really waning (I was more interested in things like music, movies, drinking and girls now). I think the final was Arsenal v Sheff Wed. Arsenal won, can't remember the score or who scored. That's how I know my interest was waning.

Honestly for 1994 I wouldn't want to bet my house on even who had played in it. I'd guess Man U v Chelsea for some reason.

I actually still watch the FA Cup every year but I don't take very much pleasure in it anymore. The magic is certainly gone and the finals are certainly not vivid for me like my first one in 1990.

So there you go. In the space of just 4 years I'd gone from wildly excited about something (thinking it was special and almost magical) to being larely indifferent about it. That's what I call growing up!

Comment

Originally posted by Danny View Post
      It used to always show the teams in blazers having a steak meal about 12-ish before the game but now they give 'em pasta and stuff for sustained energy

One things sticks in my mind , and they've been on telly a couple of times , is the sad ones in the car parks outside the stadium who come every year but nor for the game -- Transit van spotters!

Apparently its the best place/time to see such a wide variety of vans from up and down the country -- worse than train spotters LOL

Indeed Danny - all these memories are sadly no more (or less so). I used to love the build up - all afternoon and then the highlights at night (no matter how short the version was). Sadly now and for many years (though even from the middle of the 90s) it has been about money etc and the TV Companies having the most impact that has wrecked tradition I think, though other things haven't helped neither too sadly.

Comment

Its just lost all of its tradition it used to be the last game of the season always at 3 o clock.

Ant remember exactly when it changed.
        Seeing the teams leaving there hotels on the saturday of the game etc.
        And whats worse wembley has the semi finals too.gggrrr

if i was in charge id bring all the tradition back thats been lost.
        FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

This year will be an awesome final as the mighty Aston villa destroy Arsenal and i will be there to watch

Age is just a number - If yours bothers you stop counting

Comment

How did that work out for ya???

The first final I remember was the 1971 one when the **** did the double. Sadly, as a Chelsea supporter (Not the face! Not the face!), I don't recall the previous year's bloodbath...
            Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Cant remember last cup final I watched. I abandoned all connections with football when a no mark, relegation fodder team called Man City, got a new owner bought two full teams in Tesco (By one get one free) and bought the league title. Thats it I said, its no longer a sport. Since then watched nothing, at all. I am still a fan of my own team, always was, always will be but do not watch anything now.

Comment

Ive not watched an f a cup final since the tradition went.

The 3pm kick off.

The build up from around 10 or 11 on the morning etc.
                Seeing the coaches leaving the hotels etc.

FOR ME ITS STILL AS BIG AS IT EVER WAS.

Comment

yes, remember all that, especially when its your team thats there.

Comment

Originally posted by zabadak View Post
                    How did that work out for ya???

The first final I remember was the 1971 one when the **** did the double. Sadly, as a Chelsea supporter (Not the face! Not the face!), I don't recall the previous year's bloodbath...
                    It was painful to watch ..... it is not a nice place to be when you lose ... have to say the arsenal fans were rubbish didnt hear a peep from them until the 3rd went in even then we were still noisier than them

I know why they called Highbury the library now

Always next year ...............
                    Age is just a number - If yours bothers you stop counting

Comment

Sherwood is your best signing!
                      Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                        Ive not watched an f a cup final since the tradition went.

The 3pm kick off.

The build up from around 10 or 11 on the morning etc.
                        Seeing the coaches leaving the hotels etc.

FOR ME ITS STILL AS BIG AS IT EVER WAS.
                        True the FA Cup has never lost it's magic Darren - as much as the Pundits try their best to convince us otherwise. At least some of the more modern finals are featuring other teams these day's which has to be good for the game, but when the last time the final was decent it'd be hard to say - perhaps Chelsea v Middlesbrough in 1997 and/or Liverpool v Sunderland in 1992 I'd guess! Prior to that the one or 2 stand out finals have to be Liverpool v Wimbledon in 1988 that was supposed to be a walkover on Liverpool's part and the Coventry v Tottenham final (probably the first one I can really recall) in 1987 that had a similar "talking up" about it that Spurs would win easily!

80sChav

Comment

Originally posted by 80sChav View Post
                          True the FA Cup has never lost it's magic Darren - as much as the Pundits try their best to convince us otherwise. At least some of the more modern finals are featuring other teams these day's which has to be good for the game, but when the last time the final was decent it'd be hard to say - perhaps Chelsea v Middlesbrough in 1997 and/or Liverpool v Sunderland in 1992 I'd guess! Prior to that the one or 2 stand out finals have to be Liverpool v Wimbledon in 1988 that was supposed to be a walkover on Liverpool's part and the Coventry v Tottenham final (probably the first one I can really recall) in 1987 that had a similar "talking up" about it that Spurs would win easily!

80sChav
                          That's the problem that too many people just blindly follow what the papers say without thinking for themselves.

Even if the finals can be hit & miss, every season normally produces a memorable match or 2, normally a giant killing and/or an underdog club getting much further through the rounds than they were expected, claiming a scalp or 2 on the way.
                          The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Yes ...the FA CUP FINAL on TV has lost its charm for me too.

It used to have a tremendous build-up, as you said from about 9.30 - teams in hotels, one player talking you through his team - 'funny' jokes ( If I combed my hair as much as 'pancho' I'd be rich)........The pundits, the suits on the pitch, Motty interviewing players, It's a knockout.....cup final songs, ....and it had all started with your copy of Shoot magazine with a Cup Final special.......
                            I remember Arsenal beating Liverpoo, and going to my sunday league team managers house to watch my first colour Final - Sunderland v Leeds, No One believed the Rokerites would beat the MIGHTY Leeds, .....
                            The kids today are being sold short....and as you said the timing is RIDICULOUS - Football Kicks off at 3PM !!!
                            Switching between THE TWO channels so as not to miss a 'best bit'..... Remember Everton's Andy Gray leaning out of hotel window and watching Freddie Starr's comedy in the hotel grounds..always watched the ITV side though, Brian Moore's(RIP) enthusiasm was great....even if he always made a mistake with players identity.

and don't forget the post match interviews - players in towels drinking milk, and then the later MOTD show with the pics of the banquet held for the players....and more 'less coherent' mumblings from our heroes.

The Ladies Final is on at Wembley today (quite right too about time), .......Chelsea winning last time I looked.

Attached Files

Comment

That quote about 'Pancho' should have read " if I had a pound for every time 'Pancho combed his hair I'd be rich".....

YES REALLY....Men used to comb their hair back then.......now they just seem to scrunch some gel in and leave it.......messy

Comment

Yes liverpool v wimbledon was a true david v goliath match.

Arsenal v man u 1979 was pretty good.

All i ever hear now is how teams play weaker teams in the fa cup which saddens me just shows how little it matters now.
                                Even a lot of pundits and fans dont really care about it now.

Altho not all of us think that way.

Originally posted by 80schav View Post
                                true the fa cup has never lost it's magic darren - as much as the pundits try their best to convince us otherwise. At least some of the more modern finals are featuring other teams these day's which has to be good for the game, but when the last time the final was decent it'd be hard to say - perhaps chelsea v middlesbrough in 1997 and/or liverpool v sunderland in 1992 i'd guess! Prior to that the one or 2 stand out finals have to be liverpool v wimbledon in 1988 that was supposed to be a walkover on liverpool's part and the coventry v tottenham final (probably the first one i can really recall) in 1987 that had a similar "talking up" about it that spurs would win easily!

80schav

Comment

Working...
                                X