FA Cup Finals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FA Cup Finals

As tomorrow (sat) is Fa Cup Final day, what do you remember about fa cup finals in days gone by?

The first cup final I remember is 79, Arsenal 3 man U 2 , turned out to be a brilliant final in the end, I remember getting so excited when Man u equalised and then Alan Sunderland scoring the winner, moments later.

Also fa Cup final daya always seemed to be warm and sunny.
    The only thing to look forward to is the past

Re: FA Cup Finals

Is it?? feck me,I did not even know..must be getting old
    I was alive when England won the World Cup!..loved my football until 1977,then got into playing music and football went out the window.in two ways..the game had changed.too many over paid ponces
    Last edited by sixtyten; 19-05-2007, 00:50.

Comment

The first final I remember taking any interest in was the 1980 final when West Ham beat Arsenal 1-0 with Trevor Brooking scoring the goal. My brothers and I were at my uncles place listening on the radio. One of my brothers went home happy, the other not so, didn't make any difference to me.

The first final I remember watching on telly was the 1985 final between Man U and Everton when Kevin Moran became the first player to be red carded in a final. Norman Whiteside then went on to curl in a brilliant goal in extra time.

Being a Liverpool fan though, I have now got quite a few good memories of the F.A. Cup (1986, 1989, 1992, 2001, 2006)

Hopefully next Wednesday's Champions League final will be as good as the one in 2005.
      "Ah, nostalgia ain't what it used to be..."

Comment

G'day Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Daz View Post
          G'day Steve
          How ya going? You're up late. Isn't it past your bedtime?
          "Ah, nostalgia ain't what it used to be..."

Comment

my first memory was watching that 79 cup final at my friends house, the fa cup was always a big event then, BBC & Itv would have the whole days schedule devoted to it. i used to go to watch sunderland play home & away late 80's to the mid 90's but it just got too expensive

but nowdays football on telly has hit overkill, it seems to be hype first,and the actual product second now

i prefer watching cricket more these days

Comment

[quote=rugga;63112 the fa cup was always a big event then, BBC & Itv would have the whole days schedule devoted to it. i[/quote]

Yep I remember thise days, the FA Cup final was an all day event, with things like FA Cup Mastermind, FA Cup Question of Sport and also joining the team buses for the trip to Wembley, what a day

As for todays effort zzzzzzzzzzzzzz
              The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

..was shite as far as I heard,but what do you expect from Chelski & Man Ure

Comment

I'm with hG above..It was a big occasion once..I didn't even know it was the F.A Cup till I saw it on here and the first game at new Wembley too..didn't even see it on BBC news website,which is my only contact as I don't do TV or Radio

Comment

They dont normally show the FA cup final up here due to the fact it normally clashes with two men and a dog watching East Stirling. So was really looking forward to it as Mrs P was out for the afternoon. All I can say is make me an apponitment at the dentist for next year. PS my Team are playing in the real cup final this week. 'mon the Pars
                    The eyes have it!
                    sigpic

Comment

The first FA Cup I remember and I had the commentary on an LP too! was Liverpool v Newcastle in 1974. I used to watch the finals religiously along with the build up. Sad memories of Liverpool losing to Man Utd in 1977 but then winning the European Cup against Borussia Moenchengladbach a week later I still have the program for the European Cup final 1978 when Liverpool beat FC Bruge 1-0 at Wembley after a Kenny Dalglish goal.
                      Oggie.

Comment

I was at the 1977 Final which United beat Liddypuddle and was behind the goal that United scored in and I was at the 1984 final United v Brighton. I remember shouting hello to Jimmy Hill with a mouth full of pie!! I got drenched that day and didn't notice!! Didn't United stop Liddypuddle doing a double or something that year (1977)? *oops*

Comment

For me it would be the 1978 FA Cup Final when the underdogs Ipswich Town beat Arsenal 1-0.

Sadly, there are still ITFC supporters still dining out on that victory, including me.

Comment

Originally posted by Pensky View Post
                            For me it would be the 1978 FA Cup Final when the underdogs Ipswich Town beat Arsenal 1-0.

Sadly, there are still ITFC supporters still dining out on that victory, including me.
                            I bet they do not dine out on the 9-0 drubbing they got at Old Trafford, still the record score for the Premiership.

Comment

No, sir!

It's been erased from our minds.

Comment

Working...
                              X