Ad_Forums-Top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oddities in Football Seasons (numbers in Leauges)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oddities in Football Seasons (numbers in Leauges)

If through Corona the FA plough a-head to Promote Leeds and West Brom to the Prem - it has got me thinking of the times when equal Numbers (not many par D2 1987-88 Season) existed and when Football Division Number have changed

1987-88 in the old Division 11 went a bit hay-wire due to 3 going down - Aston Villa, Leicester and Man City, but only 2 promoted (Derby and Portsmouth) with Charlton surving and winning the ever (of only 2 Play Offs involving the 4th Bottom First Division Team and 3rd, 4th and 5th in D2 and 6th not getting a sniff like they do these Days)

I am a bit to fairly sure the Leauge banked on 3rd Team being Promoted from D2 out of the ones wgho contested it - alongside Charlton being Oldham, Ipswich and Leeds!!! Either way that left odd numbers oin D2 for 87 to 88

Moving on then to the early 90s - I recall a who-are of that we had to have 20 Max in the Prem and was after 4 had been Promoted from D2 in 1990/91 with Oldham, West Ham, Sheff wed and Notts Co going up but only 2 Relegated with Luton and Sunderland

Then by 1995 it was 4 down 2 upp in a reversal of fortuneswith Leicester, Crrystal Palace , Norwich and Ipswich going down and only Middlesbrough (as Champs of D1 (new going up) but Reading being deprieved of normally automaticaly as Runners Up going up after having to contest the Play Offs and having to wait a further decade to go up

In addition in Season 1994/95 to accomodate changes it was 4 down 2 up from D1 to D2 with Bristol City, Burnley, Notts Co and Swindon Relegted and Birmingham D2 Champs with Huddersfield Play Off Winners
    Down from D2 to D3 (the old old 3rd and 4th Divisions was the highest ever amount of Teams in Cambridge Utd, Chester, Cardiff, Plymouth and Leyton Orient swapping with just 3 up in terms of the Top 2 straight up being Carlisle and Walsall and Chesterfield winning the Play Offs

None of this helped though for man seasons between 1987 and the mid 90s Relegation/Promotion from/to the Confrence was not a "given" due to Macclesfield failing ground grading grading/ground being finished on time in as well as Kidderminster and Stevenage missing out in this way, which in turn preprieved Northampton and Torquay

In 1990/91 - I recall the Leauge did'nt want Relegation, so who-ever finished bottom did'nt replace Barnet in 1991 too either as a result
    Last edited by 80sChav; 15-03-2020, 20:31.

Re: Oddities in Football Seasons (numbers in Leauges)

I can't comment...soccer leaves me cold fraid
    Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

Working...
    X