Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fine Fare

Originally posted by Star Attraction View Post
    I definitely remember when Fine Fare had a store in Middle Street, Yeovil. It closed late 70s (circa 1977/78), and Primark moved into the premises they vacated.

As for the double f logo, I remember that well, though at the time the Yeovil store was still trading (I was just a young kid), it just looked like a funny shape to me, I didn't get what it meant at the time.

The Fine Fare league for football was still going in the mid eighties in some parts of the country. Mid to late 80s (1866/87?) I think Fine Fare, Carrefour (UK) and Gateway amalgamated.
    Can't remember the Fine Fare, but I do remember the Tesco down the bottom of the town before it moved. Mainly because at Xmas it was a bit of alright in the toy department, and there was the little toyshop opposite.

Timothy Whites - haven't thought of those stores for a long time.

Winkworths of Taunton and Bridgwater - the one in Taunton was tiny by comparison.

Comment

Yup,we had Fine fare,then it was Gateway,then Asda.Its now a secondd hand shop and market.Asda has moved across the road and is bigger.

tulip

Comment

here ya go finefare logo

Comment

Oh my God! FineFare! How old am I exactly? I remember them. And wasn't there another called 'SaveRite' (sp)? Went down the pan same time as Timothy White's.
          "Me fail English? That's unpossible!"

Comment

Hi there does anyone have any pics of the shop uniforms the girls worn in any of these shops or of Wm Low which later was bought by Tesco. Thanks.

Comment

According to wikipedia, Chelsea Girl turned into River Island

I remember going to Fine Fare in Banbury with my Mum in the late 70's early 80's. There were 2 large stone columns outside the shop and all the kids used to play by them while thier parents did the shopping. I think the building is now QS or something.
              sigpic

Comment

Dont remember Fine Fare but we did have a Shopers Paradise! and believe it or not there's still a VG's near me.

Comment

Originally posted by anorak07 View Post
                  Hi there does anyone have any pics of the shop uniforms the girls worn in any of these shops or of Wm Low which later was bought by Tesco. Thanks.
                  No, but I wore one! I used to work as a shelf stacker at Wm Low's in Dumfries after school in my early teens.

Comment

Fine Fare - didn't their telly ad campaign involve a cartoon talking purse, which conversed with its owners about what to buy. I recall one ad when they were choosing meat and the purse was saying "Ah, scrag end, a delightful cut...". Purse was persuaded to buy some posher meat as the prices were so low.

Comment

Originally posted by mazzer View Post
                      No, but I wore one! I used to work as a shelf stacker at Wm Low's in Dumfries after school in my early teens.
                      Hi there was that the uniforms in bright orange with a different colour down the front? I haven,t seen those uniforms for years, very smart

Comment

Our last fine fare is currently a heron frozen food store.
                        sigpic

Comment

My local shop in the 70s was a Wavy Line, but our nearest supermarket was Fine Fare.
                          sigpic
                          'Dreams come true if you want them to'

Comment

Originally posted by anorak07 View Post
                            Hi there was that the uniforms in bright orange with a different colour down the front? I haven,t seen those uniforms for years, very smart
                            I honestly can't remember! Possibly brown in colour, but equally possibly small pale blue checked gingham. I only remember it being a nasty little zip-up overall affair. Don't know if the checkout staff had different attire to us drones or not, my shelf stacking was always done after hours.

Comment

I seem to recall it was a horrid shade of Brown

Comment

Originally posted by mazzer View Post
                                I honestly can't remember! Possibly brown in colour, but equally possibly small pale blue checked gingham. I only remember it being a nasty little zip-up overall affair. Don't know if the checkout staff had different attire to us drones or not, my shelf stacking was always done after hours.
                                Hi again i remember when i was a kid in 1973 the powercuts were common due to strikes and all the freezers went of in the local fine fare and 2 girls in brown overalls were leaning over the ice cream one trying to scoop what they could out with there hands and what a mess they were in . I bet you wish you still had the uniforms to re live those glorious days.

Comment

Working...
                                X