Best toy you NEVER had

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Best toy you never had

I also had absolutely loads of Star Wars figures and vehicles. The only ones I didn't have were the Millenium Falcon and an At-At. Had X-wing Fighters, Boba Fett's ship, Darth Vader's Tie-Fighter, the walkers from Jedi etc... & virtually all the figures and small robots from all 3 original movies. Were my pride and joy as a young 'un.

Came home from school one day (aged about 14) and my mum told me she sold it ALL to a woman at her work (without asking me) for her young son for £15 as her colleague was hard up for cash to buy Christmas presents for her son.

Wasn't to mithered at the time as I didn't play with them anymore at that age and was happy to get £15 pounds but now, oh woe is me. Could've got a lot more money for them than £15.

My only relief is that none of them were boxed or in the original wrapping, otherwise I could've been a millionaire if I sold them now (probably )
    Last edited by SG1973; 16-06-2007, 17:22.

Comment

Similar story here mate, I had all the figures (including a rare mispainted x-wing pilot Luke and the original Jawa), most of the vehicles including the biggies like the Cardboard Palitoy Deathstar, the AT-AT, Millenium Falcon, Star Destroyer and hoth/bespin playsets etc. Some 12" figures and all the original figure's guns and accessories.

I sold all of it later on (when i'd stopped playing with them) to the son of my dad's mate for a total of 20 quid! We must have been mad!

Comment

Originally posted by SG1973 View Post
        I got a brilliant toy for christmas when I was about 9 or 10. It was a silver utility-type belt (battery operated) with buttons that made bleeping noises, a laser (looking) gun attached with a curly cord, that also made bleeping and laser gun noises. It may have also had a micorphone (like a cabbie's radio) that you could talk into and a holster attatched to the belt to put the gun in. Looked very space-agey and was well cool. Can't remember what happened to it now though.

Might have a photo at home with me wearing it, I'll try and dig it out. If anyone could help finding out what it was called or find photo's that'd be great.
        Had the same toy - couldn't remember the name of it myself until I came across Golob the Humanoid's website. It's the Thomas Salter Space Command Belt, and it was all of the awesome.

As for me, the lack of Indiana Jones toys did me in - was looking forward to getting some of the new ones until I saw that the likenesses were worse than a first run Star Wars figure.

There was also the Colonial Viper and a big Battlestar that launched ships - though it wasn't exactly an accurate model.

Comment

Originally posted by fluffyliquorice View Post
          I also never got Speak and Spell, apparently I was "good at spelling" and "didn't need it", I think there was a maths version of this as well, never got that either!:cry:
          you didnt miss much.it had a very electronic and american accent so it would say "spell dhgfhghsgdf" and you would just say "what?" then you would attempt the word the word you thought it said and it would say "that is incorrect"

Comment

I also had absolutely loads of Star Wars figures and vehicles. The only ones I didn't have were the Millenium Falcon and an At-At. Had X-wing Fighters, Boba Fett's ship, Darth Vader's Tie-Fighter, the walkers from Jedi etc... & virtually all the figures and small robots from all 3 original movies. Were my pride and joy as a young 'un.

Came home from school one day (aged about 14) and my mum told me she sold it ALL to a woman at her work (without asking me) for her young son for £15 as her colleague was hard up for cash to buy Christmas presents for her son.

Wasn't to mithered at the time as I didn't play with them anymore at that age and was happy to get £15 pounds but now, oh woe is me. Could've got a lot more money for them than £15.

My only relief is that none of them were boxed or in the original wrapping, otherwise I could've been a millionaire if I sold them now (probably )
            De ja vu. I had loads of action figures as a kid, action men, uniforms, training tower, motorbike and sidecar, liferaft, tank, six million dollar man, maskatron, his bionic repair station/rocket, cyborg, muton, koenig from space 1999, capt kirk, galen and a soldier from planet of the apes, batman and robin, dr who, tardis, talking dalek, k9, giant robot, star wars figures and probably some i've forgotten about. My mum sold the lot to our next door neighbour for £20 and i didn't even see the money oh and there was a large box of corgi and dinky toys as well. Could've retired if i'd kept em. Her excuse for selling was that we didn't have the room. Not negotiable. I was 14 at the time.

The toys i wanted but never got were action man uniforms like The army officer and mp but could never find them.....Until now. The 40th anniversary range that came out has enabled me to obtain the outfits i never got as a kid, and wife's got no choice in the matter.
            "GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER"

Comment

Playdough hairdressers.I think my mum thought it was a bit sick!Remember in the ad the hair "grew" out the head and you cut it.Mind you,I did have a Girls World.Think the hairdressers was too much for her.

tulip

Comment

The Ghostbusters Proton Pack. I had quite a few of the regular Ghostbuster figures, the car and the Ghostbuster building/station. One Christmas I was given the trap and a Ghostbuster gun which would shoot out pink-coloured foam missiles which was pretty cool but I never did manage to get the proton pack, I was especially gutted as the trap I had was designed to clip onto the proton pack!

Comment

My top 3 had to be:

1 - Teenage mutant hero turtles
                  2 - Gi Joes
                  3 - Playmobils
                  sigpic

Comment

Re: Best toy you NEVER had

Really really really wanted and yearned for a Johnny Seven but had no luck with convincing the parents

Comment

A Mobo Horse.

Comment

Originally posted by fluffyliquorice View Post
                        What toy did you feel cheated/deprived/life ruined forever by not receiving it? I still feel aggrieved that I never got Mr Frosty, Mousetrap or one of those little Cadbury chocolate machines you put 2ps in! I also remember hating my cousin with a passion cause she had a Girls World and I didn't
                        Mine were a Mr Frosty (although as some kind of JOKE my mum finally bought me one when I was 32!! - and it wasn't as much fun as I thought it would be!! LOL!)

Also a Play Doh Barbers Shop. I soooo wanted to squish the Play Doh dough through the things head in that giant garlic press type thing! My God, I just realised I was a deprived child!! Am I too old to sue my Mum?...I'm 36 next month....
                        "...And that's what I've done. Maintained it for 20 years. This old brooms had 17 new heads and 14 new handles in its time."
                        sigpic

Comment

I remember asking for a Paddington Bear suitcase - inside were little knick knacks relating to Paddington, and I really liked the little details.

Okay, I admit it, I wanted to be Paddington Bear. Only thing was that for the same money, you could get the larger cardboard suitcases for kids to play with, so I ended up with the practical solution. Mind you, it housed a load of Disney comics for a few years.

'Hi, I'm Paddington from Peru...'

Aw nuts.

Comment

I got a brilliant toy for christmas when I was about 9 or 10. It was a silver utility-type belt (battery operated) with buttons that made bleeping noises, a laser (looking) gun attached with a curly cord, that also made bleeping and laser gun noises. It may have also had a micorphone (like a cabbie's radio) that you could talk into and a holster attatched to the belt to put the gun in. Looked very space-agey and was well cool. Can't remember what happened to it now though.

Might have a photo at home with me wearing it, I'll try and dig it out. If anyone could help finding out what it was called or find photo's that'd be great.
                            STARBLAZER

This is the site that I referred to.

Comment

Originally posted by Derekflint View Post
                              I remember asking for a Paddington Bear suitcase - Okay, I admit it, I wanted to be Paddington Bear
                              Crikey, sounds like an AA intro... "Hello my name's Derekflint and I wanted to be Paddington Bear" (applause from rest of group) my turn...

Hello, my name's Teejay and I used to put building blocks inside the heels of long school socks, to make them into platform boots - OBVIOUSLY - and pretend I was one of the girls from Abba. OH the relief of sharing that with the group.......(why aren't you clapping me?)
                              "...And that's what I've done. Maintained it for 20 years. This old brooms had 17 new heads and 14 new handles in its time."
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Teejay View Post
                                Crikey, sounds like an AA intro... "Hello my name's Derekflint and I wanted to be Paddington Bear" (applause from rest of group) my turn...

Hello, my name's Teejay and I used to put building blocks inside the heels of long school socks, to make them into platform boots - OBVIOUSLY - and pretend I was one of the girls from Abba. OH the relief of sharing that with the group.......(why aren't you clapping me?)
                                That's insane. (Takes bite from marmalade sandwich.)

Building blocks in the socks (Great, now I'm Dr Seuss), wasn't that painful? I had enough trouble walking on pebbled beaches - especially after getting out of the water! Used to shout for someone to bring the lilo over so that I could walk on that!

Comment

Working...
                                X