Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

Thread: Best toy you NEVER had

Default Re: Best toy you NEVER had

An engineer told me that Raleigh spent 5 years and over half a million pounds developing the Vektar. Work started on the Vektar before the Burner existed so it's possible that the first prototypes were not based on a BMX and could have more strongly resembled the Chopper. Even at the eye watering prices they sold for, it is questionable whether Raleigh made any profit from the Vektar although they might have made a profit from the combined sales of the Vektar, Wildcat, and Streetwolf. The electronic modules were developed in conjunction with a small electronics company in Derbyshire. The engineer then went on about how Raleigh hated BMXs but the Burner saved the company from bankrupty in the 80s so nobody can deny that it was a commercial success even if it wasn't the product that Raleigh wanted to sell. However, Raleigh never modernised the Vektar for the 90s after they started making mountain bikes and as no other company has made a bike comparable to the Vektar, it remains an eccentric oddity from an enginering perspective. I then mentioned the Sonic bikes with the plastic spoiler covering the frame. He was vaguely aware of them and said that they were developed in the early 1990s by Moore & Large in conjunction with a design house in Leicestershire. They were inspired by the Vektar but they didn't contain any electronic parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Caribou View Post
    I always wanted a Mr. Frosty. And one of those games where little pensuins climbed a hill then slid down again. Then there were Wuzzles, which were hybrid animals. Really wanted a Tycoon Wuzzle (a raccoon/tiger hybrid) but mum said they were too expensive. I think they were 15 in the '80s. A couple of years back, I found a couple of Wuzzles in local charity shops. I found a Rhinokey, Bumblelion and Hoppopotamus. Only 1 each! Haha!
    I had a Mr Frosty, they were pretty good, i'd make slushy drinks for my family. My brothers had Mecanno, i don't think that's spelt correctly, it was a set of metal fixtures and nuts & bolts, i think it was manufactured here in Liverpool.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuggy14 View Post
    I had a Mr Frosty, they were pretty good, i'd make slushy drinks for my family. My brothers had Mecanno, i don't think that's spelt correctly, it was a set of metal fixtures and nuts & bolts, i think it was manufactured here in Liverpool.
    Gee Nugs I too had Meccano ( think that is spelling). It was basicly the Leggo of its day. I also had a chemistry set. Wonder I never wanted to be a doctor when i grew up as i had a lot of fun experimenting with it. Ever play doctors & nurses?

With that chemistry set it is a wonder I never blew the roof off our house ha ha. I recall my mother telling me to take it to the shed in case of explosions. Thanks mum.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald the Great View Post
    Gee Nugs I too had Meccano ( think that is spelling). It was basicly the Leggo of its day. I also had a chemistry set. Wonder I never wanted to be a doctor when i grew up as i had a lot of fun experimenting with it. Ever play doctors & nurses?
    I was always playing Doctors and Nurses, my brothers were always my patients, it's no wonder i'm training to become a Doctor now

Quote Originally Posted by Donald the Great View Post
    With that chemistry set it is a wonder I never blew the roof off our house ha ha. I recall my mother telling me to take it to the shed in case of explosions. Thanks mum.
    My brother had a chemistry set too, he tried to make stink bombs! Haha. I loved my roller blades, even now when my nephew got a new pair for ice hockey i tried them on and had a whizz around the garden!

For weeks I have pondering how to answer this thread/what to reply with as such!

Though I am 40 - Toys never interested me too deeply or games even at that, but me and friends would play "Cars" or my 2 or so best mates (when it suited). Just to make my own fun and create my own games, for as me and so called mates, as we often did was enough for me, or failing that to grow up having real friends being a wish more than actual toys