Best toy you NEVER had

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Best toy you NEVER had

I had lots of Lego (in fact, I still have it in the loft); but the two things I yearned for in the range, I never got:

The Space "Monorail" set. This would have been in the late 1980's.
    The Lego trainset. I did actually have a Hornby "00" layout, so the parents decided that a Lego set was unneccessary.

Add me to the list of those who repeatedly requested "Mr Frosty" but never received it (a small mercy judging by the feedback of others!)
    Last edited by Big Tim; 18-02-2016, 17:35.

Comment

One of my friends had loads of Lego train stuff, & wanted the monorail but his parents said it was going to be too expensive.
      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I never got a Mr Frosty, mum and dad got me a soda stream instead. I've just entered my 40s and mum still offers to get it for me each year. Luckily at this age I can recognise how rubbish it is.

Comment

THATS WHY SHE NEVER GOT YOU IT CAUSE SHE KNEW A FEW DECADES LATER YOUD THINK OF IT IN THE WAY YOU DO NOW.

I AKLWAYS WANTED A MILLENIUM FALCON BUT NEVER GOT IT GUESS ONE CANT HAVE EVERYTHING.

Originally posted by Carolinew6uh2 View Post
          I never got a Mr Frosty, mum and dad got me a soda stream instead. I've just entered my 40s and mum still offers to get it for me each year. Luckily at this age I can recognise how rubbish it is.
          FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

• Re: Best toy you never had

I had and still have a massive love of backhoe excavators, and my childhood was ruined when I went to a large country show here in the UK that had a stall selling a large posable ride on METAL excavator for around £150 which I had saved up over several months in preperation for the show.

My mother REFUSED to give me the money to buy it, no matter how I pleaded, coerced, reasoned and even demanded she gave me MY monet I had earned.

What added insult to injury is that my brother asked for a quad bike but he had saved nothing and she was short by around £200 and she gave him MY money and the £1500 needed to buy the quad. He subsequently crashed it and wrecked it that same weekend, and bought him another.

Comment

Toys I didn't have which I wanted:

Action Man
              Proper train set (I had a cr@ppy clockwork one which lasted 5 minutes!)
              Ker-Plunk
              Battling Tops
              Subbuteo...

I am still traumatised!
              Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

ANY OF THESE.

Comment

• Re: Best toy you never had

did you ever end up getting one.
                  Im sure if you went to a country show now you might be able to get one.

did your mom ever tell you why she used the money you had saved and used it to buy a quad bike for your brother when he saved nothing.
                  seems a bit unfair.

Originally posted by mechrior View Post
                  i had and still have a massive love of backhoe excavators, and my childhood was ruined when i went to a large country show here in the uk that had a stall selling a large posable ride on metal excavator for around £150 which i had saved up over several months in preperation for the show.

My mother refused to give me the money to buy it, no matter how i pleaded, coerced, reasoned and even demanded she gave me my monet i had earned.

What added insult to injury is that my brother asked for a quad bike but he had saved nothing and she was short by around £200 and she gave him my money and the £1500 needed to buy the quad. He subsequently crashed it and wrecked it that same weekend, and bought him another.

Comment

Originally posted by ClaudineJones View Post
                    A Mobo Horse.

I Googled Mobo and discovered they made the spring-mounted "rocking" horse that my family had when I was a kid. I loved that thing! One of my brothers used to bounce hard on it then launch himself over the horse's head and onto the grass. Haha!

Comment

I always wanted a Mr. Frosty. And one of those games where little pensuins climbed a hill then slid down again. Then there were Wuzzles, which were hybrid animals. Really wanted a Tycoon Wuzzle (a raccoon/tiger hybrid) but mum said they were too expensive. I think they were £15 in the '80s. A couple of years back, I found a couple of Wuzzles in local charity shops. I found a Rhinokey, Bumblelion and Hoppopotamus. Only £1 each! Haha!

Comment

I remember seeing these in the toy shop and wanting one.

Comment

I wanted a real gun that could fire real bullets.

A friend wanted a BMX but his mother steadfastly opposed it. She worked as a nurse in an A&E department where she encountered numerous kids who had been badly injured from BMX riding accidents. She even showed him an article published in the British Medical Journal stating that BMX should be banned. I have investigated and the article actually does exist.

Several kids at my school wanted a chemistry set but their parents refused to buy one on safety grounds.

Comment

Originally posted by Arran View Post
                            I wanted a real gun that could fire real bullets.

A friend wanted a BMX but his mother steadfastly opposed it. She worked as a nurse in an A&E department where she encountered numerous kids who had been badly injured from BMX riding accidents. She even showed him an article published in the British Medical Journal stating that BMX should be banned. I have investigated and the article actually does exist.

Several kids at my school wanted a chemistry set but their parents refused to buy one on safety grounds.

I remember the BMX controversy...

My brother had a chemistry set - imagine being able to buy genuine chemicals now!
                            Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Originally posted by zabadak View Post
                              My brother had a chemistry set - imagine being able to buy genuine chemicals now!
                              Or how about actual uranium?

Attached Files

Comment

A quick look in Amazon shows you can still buy chemistry sets, but possibly with toned down contents.
                                The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Working...
                                X