Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Best toy you NEVER had

Originally posted by zabadak View Post
    My brother had a chemistry set - imagine being able to buy genuine chemicals now!
    What exactly are genuine chemicals?

Comment

Originally posted by victorbrunswick View Post
      I remember seeing these in the toy shop and wanting one.

I had a similar "Professionals" set.

The good old days when toy guns could look ike real guns and nobody panicked. I guess it was still fresh off the back end of the war where most families still had old war guns at home, mostly decommissioned.

Comment

Originally posted by Arran View Post
        What exactly are genuine chemicals?
        Actual chemicals! Genuine, like!

OK, what I meant was chemicals that could be used for things like, for example, bombs, poisons etc...

I know this because my brother used to buy them so he could make things explode!
        Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

ANY OF THESE.

FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

OK, what I meant was chemicals that could be used for things like, for example, bombs, poisons etc...
            There was plenty of stuff in the chemistry lab at secondary school that could be used to make explosives. My classmates in Y7 reckoned that I couldn't make nitroglycerine with a few commonly used chemicals until I blew up a fume cupboard! I should have used more ice.

Comment

An Atari 2600 or a Scalextric (I had the lame TCR instead)
              A Raleigh Chopper (I had the Raleigh Commando)

Comment

Corgi Volkswagen 1200 with steerable front wheels. There was also a driving school and German police version.

Comment

As a kid we'd play this album at Christmas and i'd always look at the Rockem Sockem Robots and wish I had one (and the Action Man Scorpion Tank):

Then for my birthday the other week, my mate bought me one! My very own Rockem Sockem Robots! (albeit the new reissue which isn't quite as good but still) that's one toy i NEVER had crossed off my list!

Comment

Actual chemicals! Genuine, like!

I know this because my brother used to buy them so he could make things explode!
                    Actually, it's not that difficult if you know what to mix. Sugar is a fine example. A lump of coal ground to fine dust was another good example. Could we make a bright flash with coal dust..........
                    Who cared about rules when you were young?

Comment

Originally posted by victorbrunswick View Post
                      Corgi Volkswagen 1200 with steerable front wheels. There was also a driving school and German police version.

I had all of these. I don't recall the rhino coming with the red safari VW, I probably lost it or it got lost in the zoo set from Britains.

The German VW was green and white and had a light on the top which turned the wheels. The driving school corgi I had (light blue iirc) was a morris oxford with a big red steering wheel on the top.

Comment

I can't recall its name, but it was a mock-up of an aircraft carrier flight deck. You could launch a model Phantom, fly it around and land it back on the deck via a system of wires. The advert made it seem so cool but I never got one so no idea what they were really like.

Comment

Originally posted by staffslad View Post
                          I can't recall its name, but it was a mock-up of an aircraft carrier flight deck. You could launch a model Phantom, fly it around and land it back on the deck via a system of wires. The advert made it seem so cool but I never got one so no idea what they were really like.
                          My cousin had this. It was called Super Flightdeck. The reality was, after a couple of successful landings, it was boring. There was also the problem of the wires, nylon fishing line, getting tangled. It looked good on the TV advert, but in reality a total waste of money.
                          Who cared about rules when you were young?

Comment

Thanks, Marc. The name doesn't ring a bell but that's the one I recall. Thinking about it, I can well imagine those nylon lines getting very twisted and snagged. I suppose it comes under the Mouse Trap banner of it looking good but reality revealing it to be very different.

Comment

Comment

I noticed a meme about never getting a Mr Frosty on Facebook, though they used a picture of a later version rather then the 1980s one I remember.
                                The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Working...
                                X