Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Covering School Exercise Books

Originally posted by moonvisage View Post
    When i was at school,we were told we could cover our exercise books with any picture we liked,aslong as it was decent.I still have a few up in the attic.The school did have a preference for plain covering,but we all use to wrap pictures of Debbie Harry and Blondie on our books.In the first form,i was still scared of the teachers,so i would tow the line and cover my books in wallpaper.But,as i got older,i would cover them in pictures of punk and new wave bands.
    Anyone else cover their books with pictures? What pictures did you use?
    When I was little Mum would cover my books with left over wallpaper. When I was old enough to do it myself I'd use birthday or Christmas wrapping paper, and then went on to use magazine covers (Jackie, Blue Jeans etc)

Comment

Had to be wallpaper,christmas paper,birthday paper or plain brown paper with us.

tulip

Comment

I forgot about this! We used to do this in Nottingham! I remember the first time I did it my mum helped me. My first biology book was covered in a mustard-yellow flowery felt type wallpaper.....!

Comment

I remember having books where the entire cover was actually made out of wallpaper. They were about A4 in size with plain paper inside and they used anaglypta for the cover so it was thick. Later on, when we graduated to lined exercise books we weren't allowed to cover them
          1976 Vintage

Comment

Re: Back Your Books at School

Yeah did that ... still got some School Book's like that!

Comment

Originally posted by jason h View Post
              At middle school it was very poular to 'back" your work books in your Mum 'n Dad's wallpaper. This then allowed you to write whatever you wanted on them, slogans, pop bands etc..
              At our school we were encouraged to do this by the teachers and it resulted in some really awful looking books with horrible paisley patterns of beige and yellow ochre.

I remember this well ..., funny thing being though (againa nother daft rule) at my School we could'nt use thing's from Magazines, like Footy or Music Pic's! Oh and it had to be our Rough Work Book's only that recieved such decoration!

Comment

As I (think I have said) elsewhere in the not too distant past, yer we did this for the main Subjects!!

I am sure I have examples somewhere where i could be tempted to scan for "old times sake"!!!

80sChav

Comment

We had to cover most of our books at school. I managed to drive one teacher up the wall......I covered my book in clear polythene. I had to recover it with something else. The teacher decided to give me detention for being stupid. My father found out what had happened when he seen me taking the polythene off. He blew a fuse. He had acquired a roll of clear polythene especially for this. He made me put the clear polythene back on.

"Tell the clown the book is covered! Don't bother with detention!" My father went into an instant rage.

I don't know if my father telephoned the school from his workplace, but nothing was said about my absence from detention. My mother did tell me to cover it in brown paper. This was duly done, but I will not repeat what my father said.
                  Who cared about rules when you were young?

Comment

Originally posted by marc View Post
                    We had to cover most of our books at school. I managed to drive one teacher up the wall......I covered my book in clear polythene. I had to recover it with something else. The teacher decided to give me detention for being stupid. My father found out what had happened when he seen me taking the polythene off. He blew a fuse. He had acquired a roll of clear polythene especially for this. He made me put the clear polythene back on.

"Tell the clown the book is covered! Don't bother with detention!" My father went into an instant rage.

I don't know if my father telephoned the school from his workplace, but nothing was said about my absence from detention. My mother did tell me to cover it in brown paper. This was duly done, but I will not repeat what my father said.
                    It's good to hear of some parents not taking the teacher's side for once.
                    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
                      It's good to hear of some parents not taking the teacher's side for once.
                      My mother was not that pleased with what my father said. TBH, my father was a caretaker at a school, and some teachers grinded him. Has for detention, my father would go up in the air when teachers decided to stay late. He would start work at 6:30 AM in the winter months, and finish around 5:30 PM, with short breaks in the morning and afternoon. He could not lock up until the last teacher/head teacher went home. If they stayed late, he was late.

There had also been an issue with a strike day. The caretakers had come out on a one day strike to support the teachers with their strike. The teachers later refused to support the caretakers........a little powder keg......
                      Who cared about rules when you were young?

Comment

I don't recall doing it at Junior school, but it was strongly encouraged, perhaps compulsary, at Secondary school. It was only our exercise books that were covered...I don't remember ever being given a text book to take home and those handed out in class and collected again after the lesson were few and far between.

Usual practice was to cover your exercise books with wallpaper but it didn't have to be wallpaper. In the mid 70s during the martial arts craze there were mags which folded out into a large poster and several of my exercise books were covered in bits of those. For some reason, most seemed to feature Bruce Lee. Now I regret cutting them up.

Comment

Secondary we covered most work books in first year. Don't know why we bothered as after a while the books fell apart anyway. Cheap nasty flimsy things that the pages used to discolour to a yellowish tone. By the time I got to last year the practice seems to have dropped off. Most of my books got defaced if they were covered or not inside and out.

Comment

I backed my exercise books in birthday wrapping paper, it was prettier than scraps of old wallpaper, all my books had the same backing.

Comment

Was i the only one (or was it so that my area) was restricted to going to the great Shop in the sky that was Fads for our paper to "back our books" ..... or more-ever was this a "Fad" in my area (to pardon the extreme pun/play on words here)

As I have said in another thread somewhere - i must (and hope I will/will hope) to make a thread particulary about/related to the fads (and it's sort of "Fad" time as a Shop)!

80sChav

Comment

Yes i backed mine in brown paper from what i remember.
                                FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Working...
                                X