Back Your Books at School

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Back Your Books at School

What was the point in backing the books? I've mentioned before that we didn't do this at my school. Was it to make them more robust? We just had the original cover - always seemed to be a dirty blue colour.
    1976 Vintage

Comment

Just a whim of the teachers as an attempt to keep the covers nice clean and tidy.

But throw in a pair of nice muddy football boots on top of the work books in your bag and the whole lot were nicely ruined from front to back cover and mostly everything in between.

Comment

Originally posted by Trickyvee View Post
        What was the point in backing the books? I've mentioned before that we didn't do this at my school. Was it to make them more robust? We just had the original cover - always seemed to be a dirty blue colour.
        We had to do ours (for want of a bertter reason Tricky) was to distinguish our rough books for English and Maths in-particular from our best hand-writing book - appeared to be the Teacherrs main argument I recall!!

8osChav

Comment

Originally posted by Trickyvee View Post
          The main reason for this, graffiti. Some children wrote their favourite pop group, or a stupid slogan on the cover. You could hardly rip the cover off. If it was written on the paper covering it, then it would be replaced. IIRC, all our exercise books, the cover was red. The exception being the geography book, that had a green cover.
          Who cared about rules when you were young?

Comment

Originally posted by marc View Post
            The main reason for this, graffiti. Some children wrote their favourite pop group, or a stupid slogan on the cover. You could hardly rip the cover off. If it was written on the paper covering it, then it would be replaced. IIRC, all our exercise books, the cover was red. The exception being the geography book, that had a green cover.
            We was not allowed much more than Wallpaper for this very reason, too sadly

80sChav

Comment

Interesting, as our books took a hammering from graffiti on the inside covers, but never on the front. No idea why. Just remembered that our maths books were a beige colour, as opposed to the usual blue. Must've been the gridded paper.
              1976 Vintage

Comment

Every book I had was defaced in some way from front to back on the inside.

Funny how colours for text books were mentioned. Some covers were blue, beige, or red or green or even Yellow. Perhaps these colours were to designate what type of paper they had inside. Never really thought about it before.

Comment

Who else can recall "the fad of going to Fads Wallpaper Shop" to ask for spare-cheap old wallpaper for your books for school

It was a big "fad" i recall. Sadly my home Town closed down around the turn of the Ceturary and I'll always miss it and re-collect their nver ending sale of that era - just like B &|M used to be at Xmas in Clevleys before they became a Mainstream shop

Comment

My books where backed in brown paper cant remember seeing books backed in any other colour
                    so the teachers backed them i could not even remember the teachers did it, shows im getting old.
                    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

In the less Srict lessons at my First Secondary (no way English, Science and Maths one Iota under any standard) that Pop Covers from The hits Magazines was allowed to be fair I am 98.9% certain I recall!

80sChav

Comment

Working...
                      X