Old record players

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old record players

Christmas 1969 I had my first record player,I wanted a red one but unfortunately when I opened the box it was yellow,was dissapointed as red was the in thing.I think it was a Decca loved it though apart from the colour oh I thought wow I am growing up lol.When my dad died in 2007 after a few months clearing out the house every room was full of clutter.In the back bedroom I found that old record player guess what it went in the skip,fond memories though of playing records on it into my teens

Re: Old record players

Originally posted by amethyst View Post
    Christmas 1969 I had my first record player,I wanted a red one but unfortunately when I opened the box it was yellow,was dissapointed as red was the in thing.I think it was a Decca loved it though apart from the colour oh I thought wow I am growing up lol.When my dad died in 2007 after a few months clearing out the house every room was full of clutter.In the back bedroom I found that old record player guess what it went in the skip,fond memories though of playing records on it into my teens
    Yes i know exactly what you mean Amethyst, i was just getting into Deep purple in a big way....My wife Christine was into Donny osmond...you??
    Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

T rex

Comment

Originally posted by amethyst View Post
        T rex
        Loved T rex, Hot love was the first single i bought

Comment

Originally posted by tex View Post
          Loved T rex, Hot love was the first single i bought
          It was my second !!
          I bought Elvis’s ballad The Wonder of You first ..

I actually became obsessed with TRex soon after buying every single on the day it was released ( 50p each ) and even before ever hearing them !!

I also bought all their albums and even the Tyrannosaurus Rex albums !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I Have 4 Different Record Players in my house.

the 1st one i have is my dad's record player and a tapedeck/hi fi christ remember those to.

thats over 30yrs old and still going strong till this very day. Technics

The Second One Is An Old Style One With the wood look i picked that up at an auction room about 5yrs ago for about a tenner , and that plays the real old records 78's up to the lps.

And The Last Two I Own Are Made By Numark which are about 4-5 yrs old now, but unfortunately one of them don't work now ,well it sort of does but the sound goes really low and then sometimes loud then back to low again, so i haven't got a scooby whats gone wrong there.

Best Years Of My Childhood Was Growing Up In The Late 90's and the early 2000's . before the world went Mad

Comment

The earliest record player in the house I can remember was an old valve radiogram made of solid wood,and had that lovely warm smell when it was warming up.The wooden top lifted up and it had quite a heavy looking bulky arm to the record player.

My first record player was a portable mono Philips in some sort of red material covering.Would of been quite old even when I had it.Worked very well for years.

Comment

Dansett, had to put a 2p on the arm to stop skipping

Comment

My parents had a Fidelity record player, they originally bought it during the sixties and I loved it to bits. There was a grey plastic dial to the front left hand side within the cabinet to select the rpm, the lowest being 16 although I can't ever recall playing a record at that speed. When it was turned on you could see the dull orange glow of the valves through a vent. I used to enjoy stacking 45's on the spindle and watching them drop on to the turntable one by one. Some of the discs had a large hole in the centre in which you'd have to insert a black spider to play. All very hands on stuff....makes cd's seem boring by comparison

Comment

Originally posted by W1 Rover View Post
                    My parents had a Fidelity record player, they originally bought it during the sixties and I loved it to bits. There was a grey plastic dial to the front left hand side within the cabinet to select the rpm, the lowest being 16 although I can't ever recall playing a record at that speed. When it was turned on you could see the dull orange glow of the valves through a vent. I used to enjoy stacking 45's on the spindle and watching them drop on to the turntable one by one. Some of the discs had a large hole in the centre in which you'd have to insert a black spider to play. All very hands on stuff....makes cd's seem boring by comparison
                    The ones with the large hole were ex juke box , i remember them well....pop ex

Comment

And then of course we moved on. My parents bought a stereo, Elizabethan was the brand name I think. Two speakers (obviously) with a plastic tinted lid or dust cover. The switches had a kind of faux brushed aluminium finish to them and you could choose between a diamond or a lesser quality stylus depending on how flushed you were. The whole caboodle stood on a free standing unit in our front room...MFI of course

Comment

Sis was given a dansette off our teenage cousin when she left for Uni .She loved the stones but not the Beatles and she also supplied us with a good few singles from the mid to late 60s.
                        we sat and listened to the lot , A sides and B sides constantly. Sadly she passed away too young in the mid 80s but whenever I hear “cast your fate to the wind “ by Sounds Orchestral, I think of her.
                        it doesn’t sound right without the pops and crackles of a well played 7inch vinyl

Comment

Originally posted by Semi42 View Post
                          Sis was given a dansette off our teenage cousin when she left for Uni .She loved the stones but not the Beatles and she also supplied us with a good few singles from the mid to late 60s.
                          we sat and listened to the lot , A sides and B sides constantly. Sadly she passed away too young in the mid 80s but whenever I hear “cast your fate to the wind “ by Sounds Orchestral, I think of her.
                          it doesn’t sound right without the pops and crackles of a well played 7inch vinyl
                          That's a sad story.
                          Pops and crackles... evocative.

Comment

I can recall an ancient valve-powered radiogram in my parent's living room that took ages to power on.
                            Then, sometime in the 70s, my mum won a Bang and Olufsson Beocenter music system in some competition.
                            Whilst the audio quality was impressive, it did seem horribly over-engineered, with touch-sensitive controls that only occasionally worked and a weird lateral-tracking tone-arm, that I believed would damage records. They sold it a year or so later and bought a more conventional music centre that everyone was happy with.

Comment

Working...
                            X