Ad_Forums-Top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Aren't Cake Shops Selling Trifles Anymore?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Aren't Cake Shops Selling Trifles Anymore?

As a trifle lover, I HATE the fact that for some years now, cake shops have not been selling trifles - and by "trifles", I mean the traditionally tasty ones that had PROPER sponge under the cream and custard rather than cheap jelly.

So why have cakes shops stopped selling trifles? Can this annoying trend be exclusively attributed to the pestiferous "healthy eating" brigade?

I think I will launch a national petition to BRING BACK THE TRIFLE.

Would anybody like to be the first to sign my petition?
    Wirral Writer
    www.alantoner.com

Re: Why Aren't Cake Shops Selling Trifles Anymore?

Originally posted by Wirral Writer View Post
    As a trifle lover, I HATE the fact that for some years now, cake shops have not been selling trifles - and by "trifles", I mean the traditionally tasty ones that had PROPER sponge under the cream and custard rather than cheap jelly.

So why have cakes shops stopped selling trifles? Can this annoying trend be exclusively attributed to the pestiferous "healthy eating" brigade?

I think I will launch a national petition to BRING BACK THE TRIFLE.

Would anybody like to be the first to sign my petition?
    Count me in!!!
    Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

Originally posted by tex View Post
      Count me in!!!
      Ha, ha, cheers. You are IN.
      Wirral Writer
      www.alantoner.com

Comment

Did they used to be in white cartons?

Comment

Most of them did indeed. And most had the little red cherry on top.
          Wirral Writer
          www.alantoner.com

Comment

Originally posted by Wirral Writer View Post
            Most of them did indeed. And most had the little red cherry on top.
            With flake almonds

Comment

I also noticed it. Indeed, I don't want to buy a big cake, I prefer to have the possibility to taste some different trifles and enjoy the variety of tastes. More than that, when you buy a big cake, it lies in your refrigerator for a while, and you eat it for a couple of days. It is a lousy option for those who want something sweet but keep an eye on their weight. Besides, the typical tastes of sweets from supermarkets are already dull to everyone, I would like something new. I really like the sets with different types of pastries that you can take in order. I also noticed it. Indeed, I don't want to buy a big cake, I prefer to have the possibility to take some different trifles and enjoy the variety of tastes
              Last edited by GorsoSurthis; 20-05-2021, 12:18.

Comment

It's probably something to do with the fact that supermarkets have the "one size fits all" approach to selling all food which is why one cannot find trifles in a cake shop. Look at how butchers, bakers (and perhaps even candlestick makers?) have closed down in recent years due to supermarkets selling everything.

Ironically, Bird's Trifle is nothing to do with Bird's Bakery (formerly Bird's Confectioners) which has many shops in the East Midlands and also sell cakes.
                I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
                There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
                I'm having so much fun
                My lucky number's one
                Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Trifle was something that was always home made around here, we traditionally had one for New Year's day afters (and it had a few drops of Gin in it, even for the kiddies).
                  My virtual jigsaws: https://www.jigsawplanet.com/beccabear67/Original-photo-puzzles

Comment

The big trifles such as Bird's Trifle where it takes around three hours to prepare - the jelly base in the bowl; then the custard and then the cream with bits sprinkled on top, and just add milk. I believe that it did take a long while. My family used to have it for Sunday afternoons around the time Bullseye was on. I would recommend sherry rather than gin.
                    I'm having so much fun
                    My lucky number's one
                    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

We had jelly, custard (Bird's), sponge cake, canned fruit cocktail, and the bit of gin, topped in whipped cream in a massive bowl. The gin was Dutch Geneva gin. Very filling. For Christmas we had Christmas Pudding with sauce. Other big family meals always had pies... lemon meringue pie, apple pie, or pumpkin pie, and more rarely banana creme pie. Also butter or consideration tarts were another family specialty using golden syrup. Also shortbreads. I used to help Gran with the apples for her apple pies. We had strawberry-rhubard pie with both out of their garden but I was never a big fan of the rhubarb.
                      Last edited by beccabear67; 22-05-2021, 05:28.
                      My virtual jigsaws: https://www.jigsawplanet.com/beccabear67/Original-photo-puzzles

Comment

I wonder how different it would have tasted with the tonic added to the gin as well.
                        I'm having so much fun
                        My lucky number's one
                        Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

It would have been rather more watery.

Comment

Originally posted by beccabear67 View Post
                            It would have been rather more watery.
                            And less alcoholic.

I'm having so much fun
                            My lucky number's one
                            Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by amethyst

Drop of sherry
                              I am certain that Bird's did Sherry trifle - of course, it didn't taste alcoholic when served.
                              I'm having so much fun
                              My lucky number's one
                              Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Working...
                              X