School Trips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: School Trips

The first school trip I went on was to High Beech, which is part of Epping Forest. That was at infant school, the other trip from that time was to the Natural History museum. We also went to the Hospital Chapel in Ilford (so we were able to walk there) - apparently it was a medieval monastery or something. At Junior school, there were daytrips to the Zoo, and Crystal Palace (where I saw the Concorde flying overhead). There was a trip organized to a theatre, but I didn't want to go - there'd been a series of IRA bombings in London, and I was really scared. But I didn't have to go in a different class, as my Mum let me stay home that day. I also went to a weekend camp at Mersea Island, on the Essex coast, and a weeklong trip to Ringsfield Hall in Suffolk. We stayed in a big house, and had all kinds of activities, and trips to places like Lowestoft. At senior school, we went to the Commonwealth Institute - highlight of that trip was one of the boys playing in a "sandpit" in the park, and then finding out it was actually a dog-toilet . There was a trip to the theatre, I think it may have been Romeo & Juliet (and no it wasn't torture, I loved - and still do love - Shakespeare! Though the way it was taught, I can understand why most people hate it.) There was a trip to France, which I couldn't go on, my parents just couldn't afford it, so I missed the huge scandal of two of the girls being found in bed with local boys
    Most trips I enjoyed, it was a break from everyday school boredom. The one drawback is that I've always had really bad travel sickness, so for each trip there was the process of taking the travel tablets to school, having to remind the teacher I needed them, the note from my Mum asking that I be allowed to chew gum on the bus, as that seemed to help. On the camping trip, I threw up on the way there, as did several other kids, but the teachers were quite impressed that I did it very tidily into a plastic bag brought for that purpose... I'd had a lot of practice!
    The candle flame gutters. Its little pool of light trembles. Darkness gathers. The demons begin to stir.

Comment

We went to (of all the places) Whitby ?!?!?!? It was nice, saw the Jorvik Viking Centre, walked the Yorkshire Moors, and train from Pickering to Goathland )(which is now used as Heartbeat's railway station), saw lots of Whitby - my first time away from home - it was in June 1985 in my last year at primary.
      As 10/11 year olds we were convinced we would see Dracula as a black dog...every black dog we saw we would scream Dracula!!!

Comment

I've just remembered my best school trips, they were to the British Open golf in 1986 and 1987.

In 1986 we saw Ronnie Corbett in the trade tents and also saw lee Trevino coming off the course, we asked for his autograph and he said he'd be back in a minute to sign them, of course he didn't, typical of the arrogant so and so he is.
        The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

The only one that I can remember is as a fourth year at junior school we went to Lathkildale in the Derbyshire peak district for a long walk. I really enjoyed it plenty of interesting things to see like a very deep dissused mineshaft and the scenery was great. Thanks Mr Corkwell.
          sigpic I WANT ONE NOW!!!!!

Comment

I think the place we all went to was in York - it was some weird (but interesting) 'ride' where you sat in this car and went back in time to - actually I don't know where. Maybe a couple of centuries. They also recreated the smells.

And that's all I remember hehe.

Comment

Originally posted by Mulletino View Post
              Where i'd have a duffle bag with a packed lunch in
              Weird!! I had a flash back to sitting on the coach looking into that duffel bag the other day at work. It had been raining and the toilet roof here leaks so it smelled musty, the exact same smell of that duffel bag! I guess it didn't come out of the cupboard often. Smells often seem to do that to me, I'll often smell something that will take me back to a memory momentarily.

(Daz - apologies for whatever I wrote that required editing, what was it BTW so I know for future reference?)

Comment

Went isle of white in primary school, but dont remember alot about it,think it was ryde.Also was lucky enough to go sking in switzerland at middle school.But the one i remember most was stout hall in wales,it was like a prison .The food was **** and they used to make you walk for miles everyday.Also had the chance at high school to go to Russia but i didnt fancy it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mulletino View Post
                  ...Smells often seem to do that to me, I'll often smell something that will take me back to a memory momentarily...
                  Oh absolutely! I have the same sensations. There is a certain leather smell that conjours up the school satchel I had at the age of 5. Unfortunately, all it does is make me recall the nervousness and discomfort I felt at the time.

School Trips? We went to Dinard in France when I was about 9, (1971). We took the ferry and then a coach to the hotel. It was a very basic affair and on the first night, a bed in one of the girls' rooms - as well as the ajoining loo - was infested with ants. Otherwise, my memories of the trip are very happy.

We also went to a couple of football matches; an England-Italy friendly and a game between Oxford and Cambridge. Then there was the usual Science Museum visit, and of course, the geography one! Does this count as a trip? Standing by the River Wey with a clip board answering questions about erosion. *yawn*

Comment

Went to the David Livngstone house in Blantyre in primary 4 or 5.

Aviemore for 5 days in primary 7. The Swedish ice hockey team were there & would speed skate dragging one of us behind them.

Millport for the day in 2nd year. i remember that it was a lovely sunny day & had a great laugh.

Skiing in Austria in 3rd year. We stayed at an hotel owned by Bernie Winters. Lovely guy. I should have mentioned him in the 'famous people you've met thread'.
                    sigpic

Comment

One of the class dropped a stinkbomb in a castle in Killarney - the teacher was going to bring us all straight back to school if the perp didn't own up.

Comment

1st trips were in Juniors IIRC....first circa 1974 to France via Townsend Thoresens' lovely orange&white ferries (Normandy & Britanny..stayed in a huge dormitory in Pontorson..very close to Mont St Michael, so visits to Bayeaux Tapestry , D-Day beaches....I remember the sea being sooo blue & warm (well I was used to the sea at Skegness! yuk )

ooh also Lincoln Cathedral

and a 'trip' to see the Queen on her visit to Scunthorpe early 70's...we were simply bussed in, stood in cold for ages, she drove by, we waved our little flags, 2 seconds that was it

....then 1976 to Swanage in Dorset....Corfe Castle, Blue Pool, Poole Pottery, Lulworth Cove etc

at comp, 1977-82, went to: Beamish Museum 1977 (year it opened so hardly owt there!); 2 trips to Stratford-on-Avon 1980/81 to the RSC (Hamlet, then Macbeth); Alton Towers 1981 & 1982 (when there was ONLY the Log Flume and the Corkscrew there )

Then the biggy...1980 comp ....Yugoslavia (& Italy)..fab!
                        sigpic

Splitters!

Visit us here:

Comment

Can't remember that many school trips. There were a couple of educational ones to local museums. Don't remember any theatre trips. I remember going to Southport when i was in primary school and Hadrians wall, York and Alton towers in secondary school. Never managed to go abroad with school. Closest I got was a trip to Austria in my 3rd year in secondary school but it got cancelled (my dad let me keep the money instead). The best trip was to Chester zoo in the junios in primary school. One of the girls dropped her lunchbox off a bridge, fortunately a barge was just passing and one of the people managed to retrieve it but he threw it with such force that it nearly knocked one of our teachers out.
                          "GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER"

Comment

British Museum London on a smelly old coach with mad checked pattern seats holding onto the sick bucket!

Comment

Ye all seem to have had more exotic school tours than me !

Comment

We went to Thorpe Park first year of high school. We trashed the place and after our year was never allowed on a school trip again.

Comment

Working...
                                X