School Trips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: School Trips

The total horror ( when you're nine!) of being a few minutes late on school trip day cos I missed the school bus and had to go on the service bus and then run a couple of hundred yards.

I charged through an empty yard and into assembly - gasp of shock!- all other classmates were in uniform but I was in jeans etc with a camera hanging round my neck and packed lunch in a bag.

I was a week early, Mam had got dates wrong - I was ribbbed all day, especially at break times by the older kids

Comment

On the way back from a trip to Tycross zoo , I was playing with a pen -knife bought from said zoo. Well of course the inevitable happened and I soon had slashed my thumb. The coach was stopped, I was frogmarched off and very basically tended to. Pen-knife was confiscated. Parents told and Headmaster had his twopence too.

I was only 8...In fact I still have the scar today.

Comment

My main memory of coach trips is the singing!

Who remembers :-

'And there were chips, chips as big as battleships,
        In the stores, in the stores.

And there were beans, beans as big as submarines,
        In the Quartermasters store.

My eyes are dim, I cannot see,
        I have not brought my specs with me,
        I have not brought my specs with me.'

Then there was :-

' One man went to mow,
        Went to mow a meadow.
        One man and his dog, Spot,
        Bottle of pop, corned beef sandwich,
        Sausage roll,
        Went to mow a meadow. '

And there was one that went :-

' Shine up your buttons with Brasso,
        It's only 3 ha'pence a tin,
        You can buy it or nick it from Woolworths,
        But I doubt if they've got any in. '

LOL!
        sigpic
        'Dreams come true if you want them to'

Comment

We sang that top one with the added verse there was gravy, gravy enough to sink the navy in the stores
          Heather

Comment

There was always some git who had egg sandwiches and proceeded to stink the entire coach out when they decided to eat them

Also, we once had a trip to Matlock and Matlock Bath and there is a very steep hill on the way there (called Slack Hill). The coach was so old and clapped-out that the teachers made all us kids get off and walk just so the coach could make it up the hill. I'll never forget that, LOL.
            Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

Comment

Someones had the Half Man Half Biscuit albums out

Comment

Originally posted by Kiop View Post
                There was always some git who had egg sandwiches and proceeded to stink the entire coach out when they decided to eat them
                Don't forget the kid who was always travel sick and managed to puke on the floor, stinking the whole coach out for the entire journey and making everyone else retch too!

Comment

I remember 2 trips to the seaside at "Sandyhills" in Scotland with buckets and spades, then several local educational trips to ruined monuments and abbeys.

One class got to go an SS Uganda educational cruise, but I was too young to be eligible and they never repeated it. There was a planned trip to Germany I was going on, but it was cancelled through lack of interest. Then 2 visits to London, one at primary school, one in senior school. On the senior one, my then penpal (sadly now deceased!) came to our hotel and picked me up in his car, we drove to Richmond and climbed into the back seat and snogged for 3 hours solid. Happy days!!!!! (And yes, in case you were wondering, we ONLY snogged!)

Comment

I remember going on many trips, but the most eventful ones were the times were we got to stay away for a few days.
                    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

We were taken to Dublin Zoo, Mosney (similar to Butlins) once. Most were educational like early Christian ruins like Monasterboice and Melifont Abbey. We were also taken to weird places...St Michan's church in Dublin. We were taken on a tour of the crypt. They have decayed open coffins with skeletons in it, no joke. I was brickin' it... and St Peter's church in Drogheda where we were shown st Oliver Plunkett's head in a case, gospel truth, a real head. I had nightmares about it for months.
                      Check it out..

Comment

In primary school we'd have a trip every year, usually somewhere local, visited Falkland Palace (I got told off for yawning, was only a P3), Camperdown Park, Letham Glen. In P6 we got to go to Edinburgh to a museum.

Best was out P7 trip to Valkenburg. Got a coach to Ramsgate, then Sally-line ferry to Dunkirk, then up to Holland. Was a total ball, visited De Efteling theme park, trip up the Rhine and to Cologne.

Comment

My school owned a farm in Horton-in-Ribblesdale which they converted to accommodation and we used to have weekend school trips away there, and go fell-walking and caving.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaeo View Post
                            I think the place we all went to was in York - it was some weird (but interesting) 'ride' where you sat in this car and went back in time to - actually I don't know where. Maybe a couple of centuries. They also recreated the smells.

And that's all I remember hehe.
                            That'll be the Yorvik viking museum. Been there myself.
                            WELCOME TO HELL!!!

Comment

I loved school trips. Remember those old coaches that has those prickly velour seats? The teachers doing head counts, getting told not to open any windows in the safari parks, packed lunches and when you got home all the stories you had to tell your Mum about your day out. Aw. I'm feeling quite sad now cos I want to be a kid again. LOL.

Comment

in primary 7 we went to a residential school in the borders called st columbus's's for a week. in december. it was freezing, we had to do mad educational stuff like interviewing a local vet with a tape recorder and walk up the cheviot hills. twice.. of course i was the numpty that fell over on the way down.

then in the 1st year of secondary school i was lucky enough to have my name pulled from the hat for the week in Le Touquet. that was fab. you could hire little pedal cars and zoom around the streets, there was a big swimming lido on the seafront and a chocolate shop called le chat bleu. the window of our dorm in the hostel led onto the fire escape so we would all pretend to eat the awful food at dinner time then 2 of us would sneak out to a local pizza place and get enough grub for the entire floor! i remember having a lot of freedom on that trip. i swear the teachers spent more time in the pub than looking after us (which was nice!) but then a couple of the older boys got into trouble for buying cider and cigarettes on the second to last day and we all got grounded... happy days

Comment

Working...
                                X