School Trips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

School Trips

Did you have a favourite school trip?.............For me there are two that stand out.......In the last year of primary school I went to Stratford-Upon-Avon....... to Anne Hathaway's cottage and on another trip I went to the Wyvern Theatrein Swindon to see Joseph and his Amazing Technicolour Dream Coat...........the costumes were probably the most lavish I had seen at that age.

Comment

Re: School Trips

merged with existing thread
      The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

Originally posted by HG View Post
        merged with existing thread
        fanks

Comment

Went to Hampton Court with my school around 87/88. HMS Victory and The Mary Rose around that time too. We also went to the Natural History Museum and Science Museums in 1990. Corfe Castle in around 1993/4...amazing scenery. I didn't really like school trips - you couldn't relax as you would around family. When I was doing my A - Levels we went to Perth and the Tate down there I think...stayed the weekend.

Comment

My primary school took us to Llandudno on the train in 1978. I remember the train was like the Hogwarts Express (compartments with 6 seats) and the teacher hated it. The main thing I remember about the Llandudno trip was that we were only allowed an hour when we got there as the train had taken so long to get us there. Not very good planning there!
            We also went to the Severn Valley Railway museum and had to choose a train and draw it - boring! After that it was Ironbridge Gorge and hiking in the Welsh Valleys in a day. All very 'educational' and not much fun.
            The memories of the travel sick child came flooding back after reading previous posts. Did anyone else's school bring a bucket of sand to throw over the puke in the hope that the smell would disappear?

Comment

The ones I enjoyed were through my primary school.Breaside in Devises twice and a place in minehead somewhere(oxen head or oxen dean).These were places you stayed for a week and seemed to be a mix of educational activities and fun.Always the sorts of things you did not learn or do in school.Have quite a few memories of them and really did enjoy my stay at these places.The only other trip I can remember at primary was to the science museum in london.

Secondary school was much diffrant.I went onto field trips as these were funded by the school as they formed part of the lessons when it came to writing up field reports in Geology but the main trips to paris we could not afford,so I ended up doing two weeks on a farm mucking out for nothing.Hated the experiance.Everybody else was having fun and enjoing themselves.The smell of ankle deep cow muck and getting covered with it certainly sends home the message of class in society especially to a kid in his early teens.Before then it never really dawned on me about those that have and those that don't.Felt rather bitter about that experiance.To make matters worse when I did get back to school everybody had great storys to tell of their trip and this trip seemed to make stronger bonds between my mates.Things were never the same after this happened as I became more of an outsider and started to drift in other directions.I ended up having to write an over large essay on what I did and it felt like I was getting punished because my parants were not rich enough to fund such a trip.

Comment

Originally posted by battyrat View Post
                The ones I enjoyed were through my primary school.Breaside in Devises twice and a place in minehead somewhere(oxen head or oxen dean).These were places you stayed for a week and seemed to be a mix of educational activities and fun.Always the sorts of things you did not learn or do in school.Have quite a few memories of them and really did enjoy my stay at these places.The only other trip I can remember at primary was to the science museum in london.

Secondary school was much diffrant.I went onto field trips as these were funded by the school as they formed part of the lessons when it came to writing up field reports in Geology but the main trips to paris we could not afford,so I ended up doing two weeks on a farm mucking out for nothing.Hated the experiance.Everybody else was having fun and enjoing themselves.The smell of ankle deep cow muck and getting covered with it certainly sends home the message of class in society especially to a kid in his early teens.Before then it never really dawned on me about those that have and those that don't.Felt rather bitter about that experiance.To make matters worse when I did get back to school everybody had great storys to tell of their trip and this trip seemed to make stronger bonds between my mates.Things were never the same after this happened as I became more of an outsider and started to drift in other directions.I ended up having to write an over large essay on what I did and it felt like I was getting punished because my parants were not rich enough to fund such a trip.
                You earning well now though? Been to Paris since? It's not much - its okay, apart from Ze French! I'm joking! Its an okay place, well, can be in my experience...depends where you go in France really...

Comment

Any Essex folks remember going to Watt Tyler Park with Primary school? I remember day trips there taking part in different arts and crafts (I still have some souvenir rubbers and pencils in a box). I remember the day usually wrapped up with us making bread in plaits and then my mum pretending to enjoy my handywork, clearly trying keep a false smile while chewing through the sour, floury leather that I'd created . I go there with the mrs sometimes on summer evenings for a stroll. It hasn't changed much (even the mini railway is still there). I remember one of my cousins (about 5yrs older than me) saying in his day of going on trips there they even used to swim in the green mushy pond!

My biggest memory was in year 6 (1999), going to an activity centre in Norfolk called Kingswood. It was a 5 day thing and my mum used to pop in to school once a week to pay installments towards it. I remember the big 'dorms' with bunk beds, each room named after a city in the U.S. Being an ofsted 'concern' school in Essex we did run a bit wild but we had a great time. Loads of different physical and educational activities. I remember 'caving' (hard hat and torch while crawling through a maze made of breeze blocks part covered in dirt) and BMXing. There were some cheesy school discos, fuelled with cherryade and a lot of really bad American summer camp style theming. It was great mixing with other schools and being 'independent' almost.

In Secondary school I didn't really go anywhere. There was a ski trip and Euro Disney but my parents couldn't afford that. I went to the Space museum in Leicester (amazing) and a few trips to Chessington but nothing more than that.

Comment

We went to the Lake District in the secondary school minibus which was an adventure in itself as opposed to the usual obligatory hired coach. Our school bought a minibus so we could have more trips cheaper than hiring a coach each time. At the Lake District we hiked across heathland and cliff-top and stopped on the top for our packed lunch. Dead exciting lol
                    sigpic
                    Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

Originally posted by Twocky61 View Post
                      We went to the Lake District in the secondary school minibus which was an adventure in itself as opposed to the usual obligatory hired coach. Our school bought a minibus so we could have more trips cheaper than hiring a coach each time. At the Lake District we hiked across heathland and cliff-top and stopped on the top for our packed lunch. Dead exciting lol
                      Tell me about it! We went to the Lake District for a week in the last year of primary school but were too young to do stuff like abseiling or wind surfing etc so all we did was walk and walk and walk and watch Andrew and Fergie getting married on a busted TV.
                      1976 Vintage

Comment

Originally posted by Trickyvee View Post
                        Tell me about it! We went to the Lake District for a week in the last year of primary school but were too young to do stuff like abseiling or wind surfing etc so all we did was walk and walk and walk and watch Andrew and Fergie getting married on a busted TV.

Awwwwwww Trickyvee - what about day trips then? On one we went round Oldbury nuke power station. We wanted to go round the exciting bits wearing radiation suits but weren't allowed lol
                        sigpic
                        Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

I've always had a memory of one trip in particular but could never remember where it was. A nice sunny day, packed lunch on a hill looking down on a small school. As that school came out into their yard for playtime we toddled on down. the boys were aggressive, the girls flirty, well as flirty as 10yr olds can be with each other. Then off again. A year or two back, some 35 plus years later I accidentally stumbled on the place, in Hexham at the far end of the park.

Other trips....
                          Warkworth (40mile to end up fighting with the school at the opposite end of the estate aged 12)
                          Bamburgh
                          York (for a week aged 10)
                          Netherlands football trip (for week aged 13)
                          hadrians wasll, various parts, various times and allowed to walk ON the wall
                          Newcastle uni to be experimented on by students ( we turned the tables aged 9 ha ha)
                          Tynemouth
                          High force
                          Rothbury/Simonside
                          Durham

Comment

we went to bangor portrush.

to a few museums.
                            to the ulster folk and transport museum.

thats all i remember.
                            FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

There was one primary school trip in which half of the school went to Dublin, Ireland just for the day on a ship from the port of Holyhead. I do remember the terrible lunchtime meal we had at The Victor Hotel which was in Dun Laoghaire with beef that tasted like cardboard. I only seem to remember that one plus another to Knowsley Safari Park in Cheshire

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                                we went to bangor portrush.

to a few museums.
                                to the ulster folk and transport museum.

thats all i remember.
                                That must have been amazing going to the Transport Museum Darren!!

At Primary we had a trip arranged to York Railway Museum - but sadly I was poorly so could not go. Activites Week in Year 9 at my 2nd Secondary was the best week ever - we went Ligh****er Valley and just did crazy Arty tihings in lessons you'd never do normaly. Flamingoland was another option too I think, but you ad to choose it like in a timetable! format!

I will have to seek out if anyone still has the booklet - I'm sure some must! What memories too! especialy the Coach to Ligh****er Valley breaking down and being stuck in a lay-by near Ripon for hours .... no mobiles then in 1991, unless you was Joey Boswell and owned a Car Phone! Still a great great day!

80sChav

Comment

Working...
                                X