Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Natural Born Smoker

Anyone remember this scary PIF?

When I was a kid there was a scary bloke who lived down the road who looked EXACTLY like this thing.

Re: Natural Born Smoker

Mentioned on here..https://forums.doyouremember.co.uk/s...ghlight=smoker

Scary S.O.B

Comment

Happy 2000 Daz
      Heather

Comment

Damn..forgot

2001!

Comment

Heather

Comment

That Natural Born Smoker advert used to make me proper plop my pants!...
            "My Dad's taller than your Dad."

Comment

cannot remember ever seeing it

- judging by the amount of people who still smoke - I guess they can't !!

- looked back at the thread daz referred to and noticed the Holsten Pils ones

try this
              http://youtube.com/watch?v=SIDPuZQOvZc

Comment

I remember the old Superman ads with Nick O'Tine.
                "Ah, nostalgia ain't what it used to be..."

Comment

Nothing has ever scared the living daylights out of me quite like the natural born smoker. I remember the fateful day well. It was a Saturday and I was watching the Wide Awake Club on my own. Tommy Boyd told me about a new advert that was going to be shown to put children off smoking. He said they were going to show it but some people might find it a bit scary so they might want to look away. Pah I thought. How bad can it be? Then it started - the creepy music, the gloomy atmosphere, the black, bony silhouette of the NBS looming into view. I stayed with it until the full facial shot and then I completely freaked out and ran away screaming. From then on it seemed to appear in EVERY advert break. I lived in a state of terror for however many weeks or months it ran. BBC 1 and 2 became my channels of choice but my parents always seemed to want ITV. My heart would thump in anticipation when the adverts arrived and 9 times out of 10, on it would come. I was so scared that I could not fulfill my duties as channel switcher (a physical exercise back then) and my parents, seemingly oblivious to the sheer terror I was experiencing, were always too slow off the blocks to prevent him appearing. Luckily I always managed to run out before the killer full facial shot and to this day I do not have the courage to watch it all the way through on youtube. I get about 10 seconds in and I'm back to being 8 and freaking out!
                  1976 Vintage

Comment

I only remember seeing some clips of it on the news, but didn't find it too freaky. It was around the time AIDS PIFs with a tombstone falling over seemed to be shown a lot.
                    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Yeah the PIFs at that time were all about shocking you into behaving, and they were really pushed on TV. I remember the one with the tombstone, though I was too young to understand what it was all about. It holds a funny memory for me though, as I remember asking my dad what a condom was when it had been on. "You'll find out when you're older" he mumbled all embarrassed, ha ha.
                      1976 Vintage

Comment

Working...
                      X