The First Live Gig You Went To??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The First Live Gig You Went To????

I saw Secret Affair when they played at the Top Rank Club in Birmingham - I loved "Time For Action" and "Sound of Confusion".

My Auntie Maisie lent me a mohair skirt/jacket suit she'd kept from the 1960's. I thought I was the bees knees!
    "She moves in such an exciting world!"

Comment

1985 - I was living abroad at the time and went to see Kim Wilde in Antwerp, Belgium as part of her Rage to Rock tour (for those who might remember).

Comment

I think the first live gig I went to was to see the Animals, Chris Farlow and Georgie Fame at the palace in Manchester.
        The people of Oman don't like the Flintstones but the people of Abu Dhabi do!

Comment

Windsor Festival 1974, anybody else remember the Windsor Festivals

Comment

The Skids - Bradford University 18th Oct 1980.

I took my then girlfriend with me and acted like the tough boyfriend protecting his lady. We got to the front and I thought 'It's not bad this Gig thing' Everyone was chilled and chatting like they were waiting for a film to start at the Flicks. Then the Skids came on and 'All hell was let loose'. I went one way, my girlfriend went the other and I don't think my feet touched the ground for the first 2 songs of the set. I grabbed her as she drifted by during the 2nd song and held on for dear life. We moved back and watched at a safer distance! I s**t 'em!
            Went to see Judie Tzuke next and that was well chilled in comparison.

Comment

haven't been to many gigs but i think first one was to se The Wildhearts in manchester back in the nineties sometime
              MOLE MOLE GO BACK TO YOUR HOLE - GRUNDA GRUNDA

Comment

Re: The First Live Gig You Went To??

the sweet live at the leith town hall 1973
                slade live at edinburgh playhouse 1974 supported by suzi quatro

Comment

Re: The First Live Gig You Went To??

That would be Gary Moore at the Birmingham NEM arena. To my shame, I didn't really know who he was (despite having owned Black Rose as a kid), so I was just tagging along with a bunch of mates, to be with them. When he played the first notes of Parisienne Walkways, a huge collective shiver of delight rippled through the arena, and it was a thing of beauty. I was told afterwards that it was the first time he'd played it live since Phil Lynott's death, but that of course could be nonsense. Nevertheless, a great first gig. Second gig - also at Birmingham (anyone know why the Welsh in the 1980s decided it was easier to get to gigs in Birmingham than London?) - Bon Jovi, supported by Lita Ford.

Oh well...!

Comment

Originally posted by bhmeuk View Post
                    Windsor Festival 1974, anybody else remember the Windsor Festivals
                    I went in 1974 and the following year went to Stonehenge and Watchfield.
                    Never went to glastonbury.
                    First band I saw was probably either Uriah Heep, Caravan or Atomic Rooster in the Early 70's

Comment

• Re: The First Live Gig You Went To??

I could never go to live gigs when younger, as I suffered from hyperacusis (abnormally sensitive hearing) so couldn't cope with the volume. I accidentally found myself at a sweaty, beery gig up at the Edinburgh Festival back in '85, some mediocre outfit doing cover versions of stuff by The Jam- it was rancidly noisy, so I put my wax earplugs in pronto and retired to a side room.
                      The first live gig I went to see INTENTIONALLY was at the Christmas Party of my local Fringe Arts organisation- various local acoustic performers. First really famous band I saw live were Caravan about a year later.

Comment

• Re: The First Live Gig You Went To????

Rolling Stones at Hampden.

Comment

First gig was Bob Dyllan at Blackbushe aerodrome in 78. Clapton also was on the bill.

Comment

Hawkwind, space ritual tour civic hall Wolverhampton... ace...

Comment

The first for me was The Specials at Tiffany's in Coventry in 1980 I was 13 and taken by my step-dad he thought they were rubbish, I loved it and saw them again when they reformed 30 years later- still a great live band even after all these years!

A couple of years later I saw Madness at the Odeon in Birmingham, it was basically a picture house with the screen removed, great memories from a great childhood!!

I've seen lots of bands since and The Specials concert it has only been trumped by U2 (Wembley Stadium in July 1987) and The Pogues (NEC in Birmingham December 1988).

We were lucky people to have grown up with such great music!

Comment

first live gig i went to was bob dylan at wembly arena...........start with the best eh?

Comment

Working...
                                X