Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: I ain't seen that in...yonks!

Originally posted by Paulos View Post
    My parents used to run a chip van, I was made to work Tuesdays & Fridays in it when I was about 14.
    I remember that it was an old thing that you didn't have to wear seatbelts in and my Stepdad would jump out of the driving seat as we were going along so that I could take a turn driving around empty county lanes.
    I used to griddle a mean cheeseburger and was allowed to eat whatever I wanted.
    Very jealous of this experience. When I was 9 or 10 I was desperate to work in an ice cream van. I just thought it was the most exciting thing ever to putt around the sunny streets in a clapped out, chiming old vehicle with unlimited supplies of ice cream and lollies. I even wrote a lengthy adventure story (starring myself) based around a murderous ice cream man who I had to bring to justice and then, naturally, take over his ice cream van for the good of the town. Thankfully by the time I'd reached the age where I could have lived the dream, I was well over it!
    1976 Vintage

Comment

The Coalman. I remember ours used to have an old 1973/74 M reg Bedford TK that he had for years. I really miss a real coalfire.

Comment

Until the mid-late 1990s there was a coal lorry that was parked a few streets from my parents house. It was a 1970s Leyland IIRC.

Are Luncheon Vouchers still around, I remember wondering what the LV stickers were on cafe windows.

My cousin's daughter was amused that my parents still had milk delivered in glass bottles.

Do any companies still have Matchbooks with the logo printed on the flap? I guess with smoking being less popular there's less demand.

The same with refillable lighters apart from Zippos.

Is anything apart from the sauce sold under the HP brand? I remember it being used for Baked Beans in the 1980s.
        The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Those dustbin wagons with the big revolving teeth in the back. Used to be fleets of the things in my town.

Comment

Look what I spied last weekend. I ain't seen one of those in yonks!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	260522
            1976 Vintage

Comment

I remember until the early 1990s those tents would had a lot of those yellow lanterns around them.

Can you still get Cape Fruit? it's ironic that the brand seemed to vanish at a time trade with South Africa became more open.
              The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Now that you mention it I haven't seen the Cape fruit logo in a long time. Not sure if the brand is still available.
                1976 Vintage

Comment

Working...
                X